5850 cfx equals?

Baxter299

Limp Gawd
I m ordering a new video card this week want to get best bang for my buck.What should I get ? I have now twin 5850`s in cfx paired with a I7 @4800 .What would be a good up grade ?Thanks

Dunno res, but I wouldn't go with anything below a 7950 for sure, cf them to see a good improvement.

I went from 3 way 5850's (stock coolers) to a single watercooled 7950@1250 / 1600. I loved the 5850 - my favorite AMD card ever I think. Even now it offers massive bang for the buck at ~90-100$. Both card(s) are paired with a 5GHz 2500k on h2o.

On paper my new setup is not as fast. My 3DMark scores are lower. However I would never go back to the other cards. Driver issues with CFX on new games, poor CFX real world scaling, and frame stutter drove me away from the cards.

I get a better experience with the 7950, it's basically just as fast, with none of the above issues. Unless you're running some massive eyefinitiy display, a single 7950 OC'd will give you all the power you need. Add another one later at a steal when it starts to age a bit. But if you're looking for a straight, benchmarkable upgrade right now you're going to have to dish for a 7970 or 680 and even then the raw numbers will be pretty close I'd imagine.

There are a variety of 7950's for 280-310 with rebates right now. It's a hell of a card for the buck and they OC like mad. I plan on adding a second on next year when I can score it around 200.

Back