5850 artifact on second monitor with video

Bbq

King of Charts
I just bought a 5850 and was wondering if anyone else was noticing that when you have a video playing on your first monitor, that for the first few seconds there is some random artifacting on your second monitor.

Also, what settings should I use under video settings (specifically, advanced video color and advanced quality) if i want a video to play the way it was meant to be, without adding false colors and detail that isn't there.

Try making sure that the core/mem speeds is running at 400/1050 for dual monitors. I know that mine idles with one monitor at 157/300, but that's not fast enough for two monitors.

how can I do that ?

I see lots and lots on the internet about changing your Profiles.xml, but I tried that and it keeps changing back. Catalyst 11.1 doesn't have a place to store your overdrive profiles, either

Not sure where the idle clock setting is

afterburner.png

Ok, so yeah, your core speed is 765Mhz, but when not playing a game the core speed is dropping to 400Mhz, which is right, because if you had only one monitor, the core speed would drop even lower to 157Mhz or something like that. You can test this by just disabling the 2nd monitor briefly (Show desktop only on 1) - under Screen Resolution.

Are you still getting artifacting on your 2nd monitor?

This artifacting on the second monitor is why I walked away from the red team. I couldn't solve the problem across 12 pc's in the office(used for charting...;)) with dual monitor set ups. I had a reference HD 5850 in my own pc, although most we're HD 5770's from PowerColor. I tried everything...this problem has never been addressed by AMD and is especially prevalent on the HD 5850.

Just google, "dual screen flickering problem".

You can try going to Youtube, right-clicking on a video and unchecking "Hardware Acceleration". It's a temporary fix at best, but adjusting voltages didn't work for me.

We're primarily using GTX 460's now with no problems...Between ASUS, Gigabyte, Galaxy and eVGA, we averaged about $120-$125 a unit.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
weird, it seems like that issue is now fixed

but, is it just me, or does the UAC black screen take FOREVER now ? the primary screen goes black, then the secondary, then they both change to the semi-transparant black, then after I click OK, the primary screen goes black, then the secondary, then the primary screen goes back to normal, then the secondary screen does. It takes about 20 seconds to get through. Before I got this video card, it would take less than half a second to show up and half a second after clicking OK.

edit: catalyst 11.2, the issue is back. the uac issue is gone though.

Last edited:
Back