5820K WITH H100i

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Just assembled my 5820k right with a Gigabyte UD3P , 32 GB of crucial RAM and a H100i.

Hard the hardest time getting the mobo to boot with all 4 memory sticks (had to update the bios, run it at stock settings with 1.35v to work but finally seems to be stable at 4.0 Ghz for the cpu and 2133 for the ram).

However, as much as I fancied trying an AIO cooler, the H100i is giving me pause:

1. I can hear a slight buzz/pump noise even in quiet mode in idle, it definitely more unpleasant than the 'swoosh' of a fan even at medium speeds.
2. Upon resume from sleep, the fans stir up at 100% and cause quite a racket for 20 seconds before spinning down.
3. The firmware/software (corsair link) is updated.

Not sure if there is much I can do (and frankly a bit jaded from all the memory issues yesterday). Should I just give up on this and get a NH15?

Just assembled my 5820k right with a Gigabyte UD3P , 32 GB of crucial RAM and a H100i.

Hard the hardest time getting the mobo to boot with all 4 memory sticks (had to update the bios, run it at stock settings with 1.35v to work but finally seems to be stable at 4.0 Ghz for the cpu and 2133 for the ram).

However, as much as I fancied trying an AIO cooler, the H100i is giving me pause:

1. I can hear a slight buzz/pump noise even in quiet mode in idle, it definitely more unpleasant than the 'swoosh' of a fan even at medium speeds.
2. Upon resume from sleep, the fans stir up at 100% and cause quite a racket for 20 seconds before spinning down.
3. The firmware/software (corsair link) is updated.

Not sure if there is much I can do (and frankly a bit jaded from all the memory issues yesterday). Should I just give up on this and get a NH15?

Sometimes the pumps are loud and then quiet down after they've rid themselves of air in the line. If you literally just assembled it I'd let it run for a day before tearing it out and returning.

The resume from sleep is something I had with an H100i as well. I got used to it.

Put a magnet right on top of the pump. If the noise goes away that means that the pump is most likely bad.

Replaced the stock corsair fans with some antec case fans that came with my 1100 v2 and used rubber washers to secure to radiator, massive improvement.
These fans are only 1000 rpm so I can run them in 'performance' mode all the time too , no more jet engine noises when resuming from sleep/startup and performance seems a bit better than stocks fans on quiet mode. Major fail from corsair. Spend $10 more and use silent fans.WTF.

Last edited:
Watch temperatures, not every fan work good with a high density fin radiator like that.. if you want to replace the stock fans with something quieter and better, go with CM Jetflo, Noctua NF-F12 (in the version u like more), or the almighty GT AP-15. the pump noise its somewhat typical with the units that receive a lot of movement during the installation as it create some bubbles or air inside the loop.

Watch temperatures, not every fan work good with a high density fin radiator like that.. if you want to replace the stock fans with something quieter and better, go with CM Jetflo, Noctua NF-F12 (in the version u like more), or the almighty GT AP-15. the pump noise its somewhat typical with the units that receive a lot of movement during the installation as it create some bubbles or air inside the loop.

+1
Make sure the Antec fans have enough static pressure to provide adequate airflow through the radiator.
There are a couple guys on OCN that are selling AP-15s for $18-20 and they are a very good investment.

I have yet to run those rubber mounting pieces that come with most quite oriented fans. I had a set of o-rings lying around from an A/C job on my car and I insulated all my fans with those gaskets and it made quite a difference in the sound.

It should be fine *touch wood*, not looking to break records with this, so far P95 blend only peaked at around 75c in quiet mode at 4 Ghz, the antec fans seemed to have dropped it another 8-10c despite running at around 1100 rpm in performance mode vs 1300 rpm for the corsair fans quiet mode.

It should be fine *touch wood*, not looking to break records with this, so far P95 blend only peaked at around 75c in quiet mode at 4 Ghz, the antec fans seemed to have dropped it another 8-10c despite running at around 1100 rpm in performance mode vs 1300 rpm for the corsair fans quiet mode.

*knock on wood*

AIDA is reporting my cpu package temp as 10c higher than the core temp, e.g. 70c for the pkg and around 60-62 for the cores during prime. Is this normal?
I can live with 4 Ghz on a six core cpu as a long term, quiet OC esp. since single core performance is still better than my SB @ 4.5. Haven't quite figured out why the RAM is so finicky. Only wants to work at 2133 CL15 when all four channels are used and needs 1.35v for that. Had to bump a couple of other mem related voltages by a small amount too.

Last edited:
AIDA is reporting my cpu package temp as 10c higher than the core temp, e.g. 70c for the pkg and around 60-62 for the cores during prime. Is this normal?
I can live with 4 Ghz on a six core cpu as a long term, quiet OC esp. since single core performance is still better than my SB @ 4.5. Haven't quite figured out why the RAM is so finicky. Only wants to work at 2133 CL15 when all four channels are used and needs 1.35v for that. Had to bump a couple of other mem related voltages by a small amount too.

Did you try to run HWMonitor side by side to see if there is any discrepancies in numbers with AIDA?

Also, was the RAM approved for the motherboard? 99 is finicky with what RAM you put in there.

Thanks vm for the offer but I'm good for now. The issue is that the fans rattle even at 1300 rpm not tk mention 2700 rpm. The antec replacement fans barely whisper at 1200 rpm with similar performance.

Sometimes spinning down won't cure everything and different fans can definitely exhibit different noise characteristics at the same speed or even react differently when spun down (making more motor noise in the process etc). XBit, SPCR, and others have a number of good fan roundup reviews.

Hmmm, H110 bolted to my 5820k and its plenty quiet with the stock fans and keep temps reasonsable...

*edit* derrrrp. The H100 and H110 have different radiators...

Got some time last night to fine tune the system, was able to do 4.1 Ghz on the cpu @ 1.125 V and 2400 Mhz CL 15-15-15-40 2T on the RAM @ 1.35v, VCCSA @ 1.05V. Think that will do for now.

Seems to be stable in rog bench, occt and P95 at 4.2 Ghz with 1.125V vcore, cpu input voltage at 1.9v, vccsa at 1.05v. RAM at 2400 CL15 2T with 1.35v. Good result? Do not want to push vcore any further, if anything will probably test it at 1.1v, at 4.2 Ghz this is near a 6700k in single thread performance and 5960x in multi threaded performance, best of both worlds.

Finally settled into 4.2 @1.125 vcore, +0.3v vccsa, 1.4v DDR , 2.6v VPPDRR, ram @ 2666 CL 16 and my 980 @ +175/400. Even Arkham Knight is stable at these settings with Gameworks off.

The pump on my H100i GTX made noise when I first installed it on both speeds. After a week, it was gone. It just takes a bit to get any air trapped inside dealt with, and after that it was smooth sailing and all quiet.

The pump on my H100i GTX made noise when I first installed it on both speeds. After a week, it was gone. It just takes a bit to get any air trapped inside dealt with, and after that it was smooth sailing and all quiet.

Yeah, pump noise in the first few days with brand new AIO coolers are not uncommon. You'll just have to give it some time and let the trapped air inside the unit to work itself out of the system.

Have had a recurring issue with vibrating noise coming from the h100i radiator. Tried to use antec 120 mm dbb fans but they proved to be of little use, so moved them to the side panel (look good with the clear side panel). It turns out that you need to use fans with a screw 'tunnel' (can't recall the exact term) for the screws otherwise the ends get bent while tightening on the radiator and can cause vibrations, used 1000 rpm ~ 42 cfm gigabyte rifle bearing case fans (have had them forever) instead since they have the screw tunnels/threads from front to back and therefore will not bend at the edge. Also used double sided scotch foam tape between the fan and the radiator and the radiator and the case. Hope this solution lasts *knock on wood* Otherwise I will plug the damn thing out and switch to a Scythe Ninja 4.

Last edited:
I tried googling that fan with screw "tunnel", I don't think I am getting the correct results based on your description. Anyway, this is the first time I've heard of this type of issue, hence my curiosity. I don't think that you have to use a particular 120mm fan to mount it on the cooler's radiator. As for the radiator screws, we've always recommended this spec; 6/32x 1.25in long.

the tunnel is my term (likely incorrect) for the piece connecting the front and back screw holes on the fans, preventing the ends from being bent during installation (compare the antec tricool and cm jetflo for example, the jetflo has the screw thread/tunnel).

the tunnel is my term (likely incorrect) for the piece connecting the front and back screw holes on the fans, preventing the ends from being bent during installation (compare the antec tricool and cm jetflo for example, the jetflo has the screw thread/tunnel).

Correct term is open vs closed corner fans: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556063292.html# The tunnel is a 'screw shaft' :)

Is that the GT or GTX?

My H110i GTX is so fricking quiet, I thought it was broken and almost put it in the box and return it to egg but it wasn't that.

And yes, my pump is running at 2900rpm. Changing the speed in the LINK software didn't make any difference.

As for the fans spinning at full speed? Well, that happened with my Asus Z97 Pro but the software included with the MoBo has "Fan Xpert 3" and it was causing the fans to spin so fast during the booting process, now they don't do that.

My GTX is loud as can be.

This is the regular h100i, not gt or gtx. the fans are truly shitty.

Huh, that's strange, maybe you got some bad fans.

I spent around 200 dollars on fans...and re-installed the stock ones. Honest, I bought almost every fan under the sun, some with massive SP, some with lower but dB tradeoff. And I found the stock ones to work the best, they really did choose well with the H100i. I also had some issues resuming from sleep, didn't figure it out the entire time I had the AIO. I did go through 3 H100i's, one for pump noise, one for temps and kept the last one for around a year. Their software SUCKS. It's better now but WOW, it was bad. Also, I noticed if you go back a day or two later, and maybe a day or two after that, and crank down the nuts again it can help lower temps. If you have high temp problems.

Back