5820k Stock vs [email protected] (Gaming only)

caltech31

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

A colleague of mine offered an interesting proposition - he would give me his 5820k/board/ram in exchange for my 4770k combo (specs in sig). This seems like a no brainer, but here's the catch - the 2011 motherboard is a workstation board that apparently offers no overclocking functionality. I would have to run the 5820k StOCK.

Gaming is my only focus with this machine - my work PC that I do data analysis with is either the Xeon in the lab, or my 4960x.

Intuitively, I know the overclocked 4770k will be faster in current games, but I was wondering whether the 5820k was better suited for newer releases, and whether the stock speed (3.3Ghz) would be holding it back in older titles.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would think your current CPU would be faster in games simply because of the higher clockspeed. That being said, you could always swap out the X99 board for a different one and OC the 5820k. I don't think you're going to see a meaningful improvement in "most" games with 2 extra cores during the life of the computer. Granted there are a few out there that would benefit from extra cores, but not enough to overcome the clockspeed of the OC'd 4700k.

Underclock your 4770k to 3.3 and play some games, get a feel for it. Almost no DX11 games will use more than 4 cores/8 threads anyway

Honestly, I'd trade and if I feel the need to overclock in the future, sell the workstation board and get an X99 board. C602 boards will get you some decent coin for an average X99 board.

I'd do the trade and then sell the workstation board and get a regular X99 board.

There's no replacement for displacement.

I'd do the trade and then sell the workstation board and get a regular X99 board.

There's no replacement for displacement.
Actually these are not cars from the 60's and 70's. Computer perform better when built and used for specific purposes. So in this case, yes the 4770k is better at gaming.

What kind of RAM is he running? ECC?

No clue - I'm not entirely sure how he came into possession of a workstation board in the first place. My suspicion it was a pull from a refurbished server, and he just repurposed it. I do know that despite being DDR4, it is identical speed to the kit I currently have in my 4770k system (2133mhz)

I think I'll just stick with what I have, if only to save me from the trouble of trying to sell the mobo, and rebuild my system.

I thought that perhaps with the advent of DX12, 6 core (or more) systems would be better utilized in games, but it seems only handful really are.

Truth be told, the x5660 in my sig used to be my primary gaming machine for a couple months (as it was just a tonne of fun to overclock), and I never really saw any benefit of 6 cores, or conversely, experienced any slowdowns running an older platform. A Westmere @4.6ghz is roughly equivalent to a stock 5820k if Cinibench and CPU-Z bench are to be believed, so I'm probably not missing out on much.

Actually these are not cars from the 60's and 70's. Computer perform better when built and used for specific purposes. So in this case, yes the 4770k is better at gaming.
The metaphor is still relevant. We're talking about four Haswell cores vs. six. Currently, most games don't do a whole lot with the two extra ones, but they're still there, free to handle whatever else the system has going on in the background.

Unless this 5820K is a total dog, the clock speeds they can reach are likely to be pretty similar, and the IPC is basically identical. Clock for clock, the 5820K has a fifty percent aggregate performance advantage, to say nothing of the platform's extra features, such as quad channel DDR4 memory and extra PCI-E lanes.

For gaming, the difference likely isn't tremendous either way, but for the other things one might use a computer for at home, the 5820K has an advantage.

Edit: For gaming, assuming he's using a Fury Nano as his sig suggests, OP is probably GPU bound anyway.

Last edited:
Do you trust this guy? Honestly I wouldn't bother with it but if you do go for it sell the board and get x99 board.

As an update, I kept my 4770k.

I did a test on Kijiji to see whether anyone was interested in a workstation C612 1U motherboard, and got no bites (even at a heavily discounted $150)

So basically, I would be stuck using a stock 5820k (this is probably more than enough for my purposes, but I acually like overclocking as much as I do gaming).

4770K can overclock well, clock speed is better than core count for gaming, in this instance a mainstream i7 vs a extreme series part. The only difference is you will be considered more cool running a Intel Extreme over a mainstream level part.

I guess i am the only one, i would have traded my 4790k in a an instant for another 5820k.

I have noticed more and more games using more than 6 cores. BF1 for example uses all 6 cores. With DX12 games more cores the better.

My 5820k at 4.2GHz has been a monster of a CPU, love it.

Back