5820k motherboard selection for gaming and overclocking help!

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally time for some new silicone! The 2600k will be retired out to its duties on the studding farm after years of having 1.4v crammed in it.

Decided to jump on the Haswell-E bandwagon. Can only afford the 5820k. I have done damn near 0 research on motherboards for this chipset (until 15 seconds after I finish posting this), so I figure ill just ask fellow [H] members for some hands on experience and opinions.

This build is basically for gaming only. Will be transplanting my 2 780ti sc, 2 sata 3 ssds drives, corsair ax860, and corsair H90 cooler (assuming it will fit that socket...and handle the tdp?)

My requirements ----

#1. Good overclocker, with a bios that is lent towards us weird people who like to change settings.

#2. Dual BIOS or at least the ability to save profiles. I'd imagine everything these days has that but from years of overclocking in the stone ages of the early 90's i've learned to love these features.

#3. Gigabit lan..... everything probably has this now. wireless onboard not needed.

#4. iGPU connection for the intel video out. Super useful to me for accessory monitor connections. Don't want any of my coveted discrete GPU power going to such menial tasks web browsing or monitoring software.

#5. Decent USB 3.0 speeds. Many of the i5 and i7 builds I have done for friends and myself seem to be all over the damn map when it comes to this. Really not that important but I ran out of things to request.

*edit* GODDAMNIT I WANT MY NFORCE2 SOUNDSTREAM DAC BACK @#$@?#$@# *edit* ............ /sigh the good old days.

*double edit* and i'd REALLY like it to be under 300 dollars....

I've used tons of different mobo manufactures since I started doing complete builds from athlon tbird and pentium 3 age. Don't have any brand loyalty. More recently I have used gigabyte and asus, but they usually carry a price premium that can sometimes be hard to quantify.

Mostly looking for hands on experience from ya'll that think the same way I do. Lots of info in the "professional" :) reviews that are handy but I prefer information from the unwashed masses.

Last edited:
Hmmm... well am I missing something or do these processors not have the iGPU of the previous generations?

No LGA2011 board (the current, last or one previous to last) has ever had an iGPU. iGPUs are only available on the mainstream line, that's actually how they fit the extra cores on the die without vastly increasing the size of the CPU die.

After actually doing many hours of interneting, I am leaning towards ASRock X99 Extreme4. Anyone know of a downside to this board that I may have missed?

Definitely one of the cheaper boards.... $560 combo with the 5820k.

12 phase *edit, wrong its only 8* mobo connections, decent onboard audio, looks like i'll get 16x/8x in sli ...either way its an upgrade from my 8x/8x 2.0 that can't seem to hang with my sli surround @ 3240x1920.

Anyone poke holes in my decision before I pull the trigger?

Last edited:
Concerned that my powersupply might not be up to the task with this new processor... seeing 700ish watts with my 2600k.... 50% more TDP with the 5820k. Crap.

And still gotta find ram.. :eek:

Decided to go with ASRock X99 OC Formula and 4 sticks of Corsair CMK16GX4M4A2666C16.

Interesting direction ASRock has gone with that board.... apparently you can overclock at the bottom of a lake with it.

Keep in mind, the 5820K only has 28 lanes of PCI-E, so one of your two 780Ti's can only run at 8x while the other one can run at full 16x. To get the best of both worlds, you will need at least the 5930K to run at 16x/16x. Benchmarks, however, indicate there's only 1-2% increase in speed using 16x/16x vs. 8x/8x, so 16x/8x isn't too bad.

Yup. Very aware of that. Just got the new rig up and running. Lots of new buttons to press!

Back