580gtx 1.5gb RMA declined...now what

roocrew99

Weaksauce
I have an evga 1.5gb 580gtx with video corruption only in games. Runs fine on desktop. I bought this card used and it lasted a couple of months before going tits up. I tried to get it RMA'd by evga under their new warranty but my efforts were in vain.

So, What should I do now? Dissect the card? Prop it up on my desk as a keepsake?

Sell it on eBay. You'd be surprised how much people will pay for that card. Also, this is totally an excuse to buy yourself a shiny 7970 or 680!

Put it in an oven. :p
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792

Out of curiosity, what was their reason for declining your RMA?

Most likely not the original owner and the card wasn't bought on time for the deadline for the new warranty policy to be effective. Best I can think off is contact the original seller and see if he had it registered with eVga on time for lifetime warranty and hope he is willing to assist with the RMA process?

Most likely not the original owner and the card wasn't bought on time for the deadline for the new warranty policy to be effective. Best I can think off is contact the original seller and see if he had it registered with eVga on time for lifetime warranty and hope he is willing to assist with the RMA process?

This. I cant find his contact info :(

I thought about the oven. What does one need to do?

Pull off the plasticy bits and bake that mofo at 385 F or so for like 10 minutes.

I would not consider baking it. I would try checking heat sink and make sure all hot spots are making good contact and have proper TP or Thermal Pads.

I'd also try flashing a different BIOS on it from a card that is stable.

Also look at doing a full clean install on your NVIDIA drivers. Go with a driver that has a solid record for stability and performance.

Do what sondra said if that fail then bake it. Hope you get it fixed!

Try using something like afterburner to bump up the voltage a little, it might do the trick.

I have an evga 1.5gb 580gtx with video corruption only in games. Runs fine on desktop. I bought this card used and it lasted a couple of months before going tits up. I tried to get it RMA'd by evga under their new warranty but my efforts were in vain.

So, What should I do now? Dissect the card? Prop it up on my desk as a keepsake?

Why would they refuse the RMA? Sounds out of character for EVGA.

Baked a friend's card when it started to artifact. Was amazed that it worked.

Why would they refuse the RMA? Sounds out of character for EVGA.

Because it was probably originally purchased before July 2k11. Only cards shipped out after that date get the new 3 year transferable warranty.

I would echo SonDa5's advice. Replacing thermal paste is easy just take your time. Youtube is your friend in these instances. There are many videos showing how to remove heatsinks, if not for your exact piece of hardware you'll see good techniques. Buy quality thermal paste, I use Arctic Silver, it costs a little more for a reason. Besides fixing it yourself is supremely satisfying. Best of luck.

I've been thinking about purchasing the Accelero Xtreme Plus 2 to replace the reference cooling setup and reapplying the thermal paste to all the pads etc.

Has anyone changed the reference cooling to this kit before?

Bake only as a last resort. Also if the card has non-solid caps you have to unsolder them before baking, otherwise the electrolyte gets boiled off and you have to replace the caps.

Back