5800X3D official specs listed on AMD web site

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
Official specs released. uses 7nm zen 3 architecture, so looks like they are saving 6nm for zen 4. expected to launch in April or May
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d
5800x3d_spex.jpg

Are they only releasing a single chip with the extra cache, or should we expect to see 5900x3d and 5950x3d chips as well?

Are they only releasing a single chip with the extra cache, or should we expect to see 5900x3d and 5950x3d chips as well?
Just the 5800x3D. I think I might just down size to it from my 5950x. All I do is game on my PC.

Same TDP. That extra cache consumes a non-trivial amount of power; so they had to lower clocks to keep the thermals in check.
The bigger question is how the OC headroom is affected, I don't know anybody running an X series AMD CPU that doesn't at least have the marginal OC that the MB setup basically walks you through. So if the same clocks are achievable with the AiO's they are all basically running then yay? I'm more wondering about price and availability.

But yeah depending on the CPU I was reading that the cache can be consuming as much as 30% of the CPU's allotted power, so to keep the same TDP with that much of an increase there would have to be some concessions.

The bigger question is how the OC headroom is affected, I don't know anybody running an X series AMD CPU that doesn't at least have the marginal OC that the MB setup basically walks you through. So if the same clocks are achievable with the AiO's they are all basically running then yay? I'm more wondering about price and availability.

But yeah depending on the CPU I was reading that the cache can be consuming as much as 30% of the CPU's allotted power, so to keep the same TDP with that much of an increase there would have to be some concessions.

Probably depends if your OC is thermally limited or not. If you're at your cooling system limits you'll probably take a hit. OTOH if your cooler can suck an extra 20-50W of heat away or your CPU temps are low enough that it getting 5-10C hotter isn't a problem you should be able to reach similar clock levels.

It’s going to be a tough sell given 5900x pricing/availability. It’ll be faster in certain games, but you loose clock speed and 4 cores. Given that this thing will likely be difficult to pickup for the short life until AM5 stuff, I believe the 5900x will likely be the better buy since one can be had for $450 now which the 5800x3d will be priced at, best case scenario.

It’s going to be a tough sell given 5900x pricing/availability. It’ll be faster in certain games, but you loose clock speed and 4 cores. Given that this thing will likely be difficult to pickup for the short life until AM5 stuff, I believe the 5900x will likely be the better buy since one can be had for $450 now which the 5800x3d will be priced at, best case scenario.
suppose to beat or, at the very least, trade blows with 12th gen intel in games so, regardless of the 200mhz clock difference, for a strictly gaming rig it's a tempting upgrade for someone still on ryzen 3000. and like someone else said you can prob make up the clock difference with beefy cooling.

suppose to beat or, at the very least, trade blows with 12th gen intel in games so, regardless of the 200mhz clock difference, for a strictly gaming rig it's a tempting upgrade for someone still on ryzen 3000. and like someone else said you can prob make up the clock difference with beefy cooling.
I just don’t think it’s going to be easy to get one. It’ll be scalped it’s entire short run.

I just don’t think it’s going to be easy to get one. It’ll be scalped it’s entire short run.
Doubt it will be scalped much. They tried scalping the 12900k when it launched and they got hosed. CPUs are not in huge demand. You have many in stock options.

Doubt it will be scalped much. They tried scalping the 12900k when it launched and they got hosed. CPUs are not in huge demand. You have many in stock options.
I don't know about that. The 12900k is different given that it's a main-line release with plenty of production time, and lots of production capacity thrown at it.

The 5800X3D is this limited release thing that will only be produced for around 6-8 months tops until AM5 stuff comes out, and will likely have high-demand from the high number of AM4 platform owners wanting to upgrade.

Is the 5800X cache limited? What is the purpose of this part?
CPU's are generally always 'cache limited'. The more cache you can throw on there for the CPU to access with lower latency the faster certain types of applications will run, as the CPU isn't having to wait as long for memory access. A larger cache helps out a lot in open-world games in particular since there is so much memory access going on.

That being said, the 5900X which the 5800X3D is largely competing with, already receives a cache 'boost' per say over the normal 5800X.

IMO, the future of CPU design is going to be cramming as much cache as possible on there to speed things up since we're hitting clock & core count walls. You could immensely speed a system up for certain apps if you had as much cache as you did normal memory.

I don't know about that. The 12900k is different given that it's a main-line release with plenty of production time, and lots of production capacity thrown at it.

The 5800X3D is this limited release thing that will only be produced for around 6-8 months tops until AM5 stuff comes out, and will likely have high-demand from the high number of AM4 platform owners wanting to upgrade.
No one is going to pay scalper prices when they could get a 5900x or 5950x for less.

No one is going to pay scalper prices when they could get a 5900x or 5950x for less.
I'm not even talking scalper prices. The normal release MSRP of the 5800X3D will likely be $450, and due to supply/demand will likely never get cheaper than that. You can get a 5900X for $450 from Microcenter, and every-so-often from Amazon at around that price as well. That's the issue.

I was curious if they'd release "3D" versions of their other processors. Give me the option of keeping my Zen3 setup for a bit longer vs. Zen4 or an Intel setup in the future.

Sticking with my 5900X. I'd like to ride with AM4 for at least another year before I start thinking upgrades again.

I was curious if they'd release "3D" versions of their other processors. Give me the option of keeping my Zen3 setup for a bit longer vs. Zen4 or an Intel setup in the future.
Kind of wish they would have given us at least a 5900X3D, but I feel like they're not doing that because it would likely chomp at the heels of the 6900X or whatever they are going to call it.

Many fail to realize Intel has more “7” fab space dedicated to the 12’th gen run than TSMC has fab space. AMD may technically have the better product but Intel can meet demand for theirs plus pick up the slack AMD and TSMC leave behind.

Kind of wish they would have given us at least a 5900X3D, but I feel like they're not doing that because it would likely chomp at the heels of the 6900X or whatever they are going to call it.
AMD’s cache is both hot and power hungry, the trade off in clock speeds they would need for a 5900x3D or god forbid a 5950x3D would be enough so that the extra cache would be wasted. I don’t think the AM4 socket could physically handle those chips.

AMD’s cache is both hot and power hungry, the trade off in clock speeds they would need for a 5900x3D or god forbid a 5950x3D would be enough so that the extra cache would be wasted. I don’t think the AM4 socket could physically handle those chips.
A few reason I think we didn't see anything other then a 5800x3D. They are saving the chiplets with 3D vram for the server market. AMD makes way more money in that market. And #2, it sounds like we are close to Zen4 release date? It sounds like its coming out on July possibly? With AM4 being End of Life....no real reason to bring out a full line up.

Just my 0.02c

Intel makes their CPUs in their own fabs. They don't have to compete with anyone else for production capacity. 10th, 11th, and 12th gen supplies have been solid, throughout the pandemic.

AMD has to cram PS5, two Xboxes, desktop GPUs, desktop CPUs, and their mobile chips-------all into their limited production slice @ TSMC.

**Hopefully Intel's GPUs are good. Because, there ought to be plenty of them.

Intel makes their CPUs in their own fabs. They don't have to compete with anyone else for production capacity. 10th, 11th, and 12th gen supplies have been solid, throughout the pandemic.

AMD has to cram PS5, two Xboxes, desktop GPUs, desktop CPUs, and their mobile chips-------all into their limited production slice @ TSMC.

**Hopefully Intel's GPUs are good. Because, there ought to be plenty of them.
Don't forget their Epic lineup and the Threadrippers.

Based on the leaks the Intel GPU hardware is solid, but they are currently struggling on the software side primarily with stability issues, they've nailed down the titles everybody is streaming and getting large YouTube / Twitch views on but many titles outside that are in various states of crashing to desktop or black screens. This is why they pushed back the launch, Intel knows it absolutely must be solid.

So as someone who mainly games on a 5800x I'm kind of gathering that this isn't the greatest upgrade in the world due to the loss of clockspeed? I am currently air cooled but will be going with a custom loop soon. What do you all think? Worth it or just stick with what I got. Will probably not be upgrading to AM5 for some time.

So as someone who mainly games on a 5800x I'm kind of gathering that this isn't the greatest upgrade in the world due to the loss of clockspeed? I am currently air cooled but will be going with a custom loop soon. What do you all think? Worth it or just stick with what I got. Will probably not be upgrading to AM5 for some time.
For higher-FPS games that are more clock dependent, yes, this will provide nothing/be slower over a normal 5800x, and will be slower than a 5900x. I opted to go with a 5900x as I was up near a microcenter and could pick one up for $450. Long-term, I think the 5900x/5950x will last longer anyways due to the higher core count.

Unless plan on adding the GPU to that loop then OC'ing the lot beyond what your air setup is currently capable of handling then it generally isn't worth it beyond photogenic bragging rights. If you are just looking to OC the CPU beyond what your air setup is capable of then a larger AiO is probably the easiest way to go about it.

Love the Ryzen 5000 series, but this is about as worthless an entry into their Zen3 product portfolio as they can get right now.
Zero discernable real-world benefit outside of synthetic benchmarks. For those that play benchmarks all day, then grab one and more power to you...

Love the Ryzen 5000 series, but this is about as worthless an entry into their Zen3 product portfolio as they can get right now.
Zero discernable real-world benefit outside of synthetic benchmarks. For those that play benchmarks all day, then grab one and more power to you...
It's not worthless, I mean if they can get people to buy it then it's worth at least that much, and it's a solid retail proof of concept that lets them use it to iron out any potential issues for Zen4 before its too late to implement the design changes. It's a feature test.

Or some games ? big cache seem to help game performance quite a bit (very often people mistake the added cores for the difference in game performance between CPUs when it is also the added cache, sometime only the added cache):

https://www.techspot.com/article/2308-cpu-cores-and-cache/

The Cyberpunk 2077 data is interesting, especially the 1% low results. We see a 15% improvement in 1% low performance when going from the 10600K to the 10900K and this affects frame time performance. However the bulk or that is due to the increased L3 cache with the extra cores doing basically nothing here.

F1 2020 is another title where most of the gains can be attributed to the increased L3 cache. For example, the 10900K is seen to be 10% faster than the 10600K when matched clock-for-clock. However, if we limit the 10900K to 6 cores, it almost doesn’t drop in performance when compared to its stock 10-core configuration (a 1% difference). This is another game where L3 cache capacity is more important than core count, at least when going beyond 6.

How large of a difference you get between a 5600g and a 5600x in gaming is probably in good part lower cache.

For the low value of it and being more a demo, if the talk of low volume are true, you are probably right.

Last edited:
Going custom loop and adding the 3090. Have blocks from Optimus, have had them for a long time actually, just nervous about doing it. It will be my first time with hard loop, but not my first watercooling experience.

XT series..

Curious, i know some say no 5950x with this tech, but the 5950X just went on sale under for $789 CAD...normally almost $900....

Curious, i know some say no 5950x with this tech, but the 5950X just went on sale under for $789 CAD...normally almost $900....
I think that has to do with sales just being down. Anyone who wanted one likely already got it, and many are likely just waiting for AM5 stuff at this point.

What's the difference between the 5800x and the 5800x3d?

Sounds like it has a built-in GPU? Someone mentioned L3 cache, so that 96Mb is probably more.

Edit: From what I can find, 5800x3d is 3.4Ghz base vs 3.8Ghz, but has 512kb L1 cache vs no L1 cache, same L2 cache, and 96Mb L3 cache vs 32Mb L3 cache on the 5800x

Looks like a wash to me. It would be some sort of upgrade if they had managed to keep the clocks up. My guess is they wanted to build it on 6nm, but supply/demand/pandemic had other plans.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the 5800x and the 5800x3d?

Sounds like it has a built-in GPU? Someone mentioned L3 cache, so that 96Mb is probably more.

Edit: From what I can find, 5800x3d is 3.4Ghz base vs 3.8Ghz, but has 512kb L1 cache vs no L1 cache, same L2 cache, and 96Mb L3 cache vs 32Mb L3 cache on the 5800x

Looks like a wash to me. It would be some sort of upgrade if they had managed to keep the clocks up. My guess is they wanted to build it on 6nm, but supply/demand/pandemic had other plans.

In addition to what mchart said, L1 cache is the same too. It's a 5800 with an extra die in the package adding 64MB of L3 cache beyond what's already in the base configuration. Theoretically the bigger cache should overcome the slightly lower clocks; but we'll need to wait for hardware availability to confirm that.

Back