5800X3D gaming review

I hate to rain on your parade but the campaign map is known to be rather buggy and have graphical issues.
Granted every Total War game since moving to Warscape had optimization issues, some more severe (Attila) than others (Shogun 2). I'm running the exact same build of the game, same rig, same settings. We can chalk up the performance gain to the one variable that actually changed - the CPU upgrade - or we can point at some ambiguous graphical glitch that no one on the planet can currently explain. Which explanation seems more logical?

Last edited:
Granted every Total War game since Warscape had optimization issues, some more severe (Attila) than others (Shogun 2). I'm running the exact same build of the game, same rig, same settings. We can chalk up the performance gain to the one variable that actually changed - the CPU upgrade - or we can point at some ambiguous graphical glitch that no one on the planet can currently explain. Which explanation seems more logical?

Eh, many people have pointed out the graphical issues with the new overmap. Maybe they've fixed them. The game has dropped off massively in players over the past 2 months and I'm not paying close attention to it now. Its had more active player loss than Rome2 did. Watching the multiplayer bugs at release was enough for me to shelve it. Perhaps they will get things fixed and you 3D owners will get 70 fps instead of 50. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't highlight this one game as a win compared to other games out there where it is a clear win.

Eh, many people have pointed out the graphical issues with the new overmap. Maybe they've fixed them. The game has dropped off massively in players over the past 2 months and I'm not paying close attention to it now. Its had more active player loss than Rome2 did. Watching the multiplayer bugs at release was enough for me to shelve it. Perhaps they will get things fixed and you 3D owners will get 70 fps instead of 50. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't highlight this one game as a win compared to other games out there where it is a clear win.
? It seemed less like a special notice and more like someone just noticing a positive gain in a game they actually play.

It's useful knowledge nonetheless.

Patch 1.1.0 from April 5th did include "numerous performance optimizations," but I don't have any before and after 1.1.0 benchmarks to validate that. I do know from personal experience that the campaign UI is still quite buggy in 1.1.0 and its actually detrimental to performance, e.g. just mousing over building icons can torpedo my framerate to single digits on my 5600X. Doing this post upgrade still tanks performance, but now it dips into the 20s on my 5800X3D. As a prominent modder in the TW:WH community, I'm getting a lot of reports from folks experiencing the same issues with the UI performance. Good thing that the canned campaign benchmark doesn't display UI elements at all, so their buggy UI doesn't factor into the benchmark results. Since we cannot control for "optimization issues" it can't really be used to validate or invalidate my individual results until we get more data points from WH3 + 5800X3D users.

I'd just like to say, glitchy does not always mean bad perf. Sometimes glitches are caused by missing a whole routine, for instance, and if it's a complex one that could result in a big framerate boost.

Mine won’t arrive till after May 30’th according to my supplier. I am sad :(

I thought that myself, as all the reviewers seem to be using a 3090 in the review. would like to see it paired with a lesser video card like a 6600XT or 3060RTX just to see if it's still offering uplifting performance in 1080p /1440p for that type of buyer, AMD website has it in stock at $449 right now.

We have people that have been paying that much for the baseline of newer video cards and only fear (fair) to show it.
Just ordered one from AMD, will be replacing the 3900x. Tempted to update the MB as well from a B550 Biostar to MSI X570s Tomahawk so as to keep the 3900x still active with the Biostar board. Anyways it will be with a 6900XT.

Finally got mine after FedEx refused to deliver it for several days.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 1
This past week I created and released a UI Performance Patch mod that resolved much of campaign map performance issues folks were complaining about. Need to go back and test WH3 on my 5600X now to make an apples to apples comparison with my 5800X3D to see what the real performance delta is.

I don't think they ever attempted delivery. Nothing was left on my door. I finally had to go pick it up myself.
With Fedex I'm honestly not surprised lol. Amazon should be delivering mine today, will be fun to see how it performs.

I've usually had good luck with FedEx but Little Rock is not far from Memphis so this might be a difference. The local fedex delivery guy is the most dogs friendly driver I've seen since the 90's.

War Thunder was released 10 years ago (2012)

So, not exactly new stuff.
I have 1300+ hours in that shitfest. The amount of engine updates in last year or two alone is huge, you can't just say it's an old game because of when it was released. Same with NMS, the engine has had massive changes. I can't even run it anymore, on launch a 290x/2600kwould eat it.
Still rocking a 2500K. This may be new and interesting enough to upgrade to.
My brother in longevity but your one mistake was not getting the 2600k :p But I know it's done you fine. I'm also starting to feel the slow, even Mrs agrees using the PC just searching and browsing. I'll miss win7 and a functional, efficient OS though

I'm contemplating a used am4 maybe 5600 build or going x3d, thing I like about x3d is it dgaf about ram, but most importantly, those 1% lows many reviewers love to mention when it's Intel winning at them lol.. Then jump am5 when bug testing is sorted, plus DDR5 has some benefit beyond a few %. Intel can fuck right off with their marketing cancer, shareholders shilling [H]ere and quad core asshattery for a decade, short of a 20 or 30% perf advantage. Just like the 2600k lol.

Anyone seen CAD, 3d, video editing and photogrammetry results on the x3d? Or it just wants cores?

My main issue is a big OLED and choosing which dead end flagship GPU to drive it. The ultrawide with 175hz is tempting but I really want 4k 42". 120hz I'll love but hmmmm would love more headroom.

Last edited:
Upgrade to windows 10, it's significantly faster than Win7. You might get another few years out of the 2600 that way.
Will it actually give higher FPS in games? Or just snappier OS. Reason I ask is every time I use win10, I find everything is behind 2-3 extra menus to tod the same thing. So it's much slower and less intuitive to use. And updates have bricked friends and family rigs multiple times, all I can do is cringe when I hear that stuff.

Will it actually give higher FPS in games? Or just snappier OS. Reason I ask is every time I use win10, I find everything is behind 2-3 extra menus to tod the same thing. So it's much slower and less intuitive to use. And updates have bricked friends and family rigs multiple times, all I can do is cringe when I hear that stuff.
I used 10 from when it was in beta and never had a bricked pc. Updated all of the family's too, no issues. Just keep a regular backup to be sure. And personally I found 10 to be as easy as 7 to use, and I'm by no means a poweruser. If you want to find basic stuff hidden for no good reason, get Win 11, there's a shit show...

If you're digging through menus every time you use Win10, I don't think the problem is the OS.

I used 10 from when it was in beta and never had a bricked pc. Updated all of the family's too, no issues. Just keep a regular backup to be sure. And personally I found 10 to be as easy as 7 to use, and I'm by no means a poweruser. If you want to find basic stuff hidden for no good reason, get Win 11, there's a shit show...
For any of these: windows key and start typing. Seriously, that's way faster than trying to open any menus anywhere.

For any of these: windows key and start typing. Seriously, that's way faster than trying to open any menus anywhere.
Except right click on files, they nerfed the options list , I had to use a reg edit to get that back (might have changed by by though)

My brother in longevity but your one mistake was not getting the 2600k :p But I know it's done you fine. I'm also starting to feel the slow, even Mrs agrees using the PC just searching and browsing. I'll miss win7 and a functional, efficient OS though

I'm contemplating a used am4 maybe 5600 build or going x3d, thing I like about x3d is it dgaf about ram, but most importantly, those 1% lows many reviewers love to mention when it's Intel winning at them lol.. Then jump am5 when bug testing is sorted, plus DDR5 has some benefit beyond a few %. Intel can fuck right off with their marketing cancer, shareholders shilling [H]ere and quad core asshattery for a decade, short of a 20 or 30% perf advantage. Just like the 2600k lol.
I usually never buy the top dog of of any part line, I'm a cheap hobbyist. Hah.

I think my days on my 2500 are numbered as posting in this thread cursed me. My motherboard is now intermittently failing POST. Holding out till the newest line releases and what supply chain prices are. I still got my Q6600 if I get desperate. Nevermind the fact my house has a 9700K, 7600K and a A2600 running. Its the principle now of seeing how far I can go while drooping with anticipation the amount of new tech speed I will gain when I finally cave.

If you're digging through menus every time you use Win10, I don't think the problem is the OS.
I'm using default setups on people's computer trying to help them, so yeah, I don't know where everything is as I don't use 10 and it's very unintuitive after 7,xp etc.

Yeah 11 seems worse again. 8 is also cancerous to me. Both of them can get off my lawn lol.

Sort of figured that out through frustration. Getting to 'my computer' is harder than it should be though (used to be two clicks).

I usually never buy the top dog of of any part line, I'm a cheap hobbyist. Hah.

I think my days on my 2500 are numbered as posting in this thread cursed me. My motherboard is now intermittently failing POST. Holding out till the newest line releases and what supply chain prices are. I still got my Q6600 if I get desperate. Nevermind the fact my house has a 9700K, 7600K and a A2600 running. Its the principle now of seeing how far I can go while drooping with anticipation the amount of new tech speed I will gain when I finally cave.
Sorry to hear, I also had weird issues last week, mrs said it kept booting with keyboard garble even when unplugged.. And I'm 8,000km away lol. So good time to start shopping around. I don't have such fine backups as you, though.

A cheap hobby is a smart hobby! Seen the zen4 results from ctex? Looks like we are not getting a big jump and Intel thermals are probably same boat, they also shot their load. With this in mind and alpha platforms never being very future proof (ddr5 ram speeds, standards for ports, etc), I'll stick with tried and known (and vastly cheaper) AM4. Can always upgrade platform later without much skin lost when things are more future proof and bug tested.
Used board and ram and if things go well, 5800 x3d (will hold value decently being top dog am4), it's not going to be far off next gen AMD by looks of things, also no v-cache zen4 until next year. The new AMD apus are quite tempting though. I'll wait on the GPU, I want 4k120 and the crypto mining panic sell off dump (daily rates are hilariously low/below power use rates in many places) is about to begin by looks of things.

Silicon is back on the menu, boys!

ef0abd5242cedd9f0ede3b3bb7325b86.jpg

The os is significantly faster, boot time, loading apps.
Games are likely about the same, only played 1 game on the ancient laptop (Tf2) but it played fine, being that it doesn't need significant GPU to work.
As far as finding things, for me it's no different or more difficult. Most people just use the Cortana (search) and it's easy to find everything. Cont - control panel is found, cmd, command prompt is found. But I use Start10 from Stardock. I think it was about $5, gives you several options for customizing the start menu. Mine looks like Win7 but I use the Modern option (just makes it Dark), so as far as appearance and ease of operation, it's best of both worlds. Win10 was a free upgrade and $7 for the older Start-menu style and couldn't be happier.
Just looked, they now have Start11 and you can run it on Win10 too, $5.99. Worth it.
1653368233767.png

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Got mine last week and it has been a journey (started on B450...ended up on X570 - had a bad CPU along the way) - but the time I did have to play my main (Fortnite) it was bliss. I was playing 1080p/240Hz in my office with an RTX 3080 FE. Comparing gameplay to my former (sold to a buddy) Lenovo Legion 7i (11980HK/3080) and also to my 11900K/3090 Ti rig (which is on a 3440x1440/144Hz monitor). Gonna slap a 3090 Ti in this rig when all said and done, just waiting for some cables for the AX1600i I bought for dirt cheap from a miner.

"Bad time" to upgrade, but my original intent was to take a "junker" NZXT BLD rig I bought late last year and spruce it up. The CPU dying turned it into a bit more expensive proposition as I was troubleshooting but I like the new mobo (Dark Hero) too much to return it...haha.

Currently running AIDA64 stress testing. I've noticed something peculiar - HWiNFO64 reports a top temp of 94.8 C while AIDA64 shows 79 C. No thermal thottling showing up. Using an NZXT Kraken X63 with upgraded fans (Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM) and Kryonaut. Saw on Overclock.net that HWiNFO64 may not be reading the X3D correctly, yet?

5800x3d_aida_hwinfo.png

(Ignore the crappy mem kit - it is what came with the NZXT BLD rig - have a 3800/CL14 kit coming today or tomorrow!)

The 5800X3D boosts like it was taped out for Zen2. The core complex vs cache temp indicates the core is quite insulated from the heat spreader by the cache chip and likely is the reason for limited boost clocks. 91C core complex and 68C cache temp on a R20 all core run 4350Mhz. The real benefit I was hoping for is cpu frame times for MSFS 2020 and Il2 and it delivers flawlessly. This late in the socket cycle it's hard to justify the expense but if your a flight or racing simmer on AM4 and not ready to do a system rebuild then I highly recommend this cpu. This thing really boosts the lows and makes MSFS far more enjoyable especially when over flying places like NYC Gold Coast and the like.

Back