5800X3D gaming review

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
More results from the people with the SoTTR comparison last week: https://xanxogaming.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review-the-last-gaming-gift-for-am4/

11 games tested at ultra settings on 1080p (and 720p). At 1080p, half the time the games were tied (within a couple of FPS of each other), half the time the AMD chip won, sometimes by a decent margin (FFXV no gameworks, 217 to 168, Witcher 3, 253 to 207).

Tests were done with 4x8Gb CL14 3200 RAM. They also tried running Witcher on the Intel with 3600 CL14 at 720p ultra, and got 205 fps with the lower speed, 216 with the higher, on the Intel side, and 300 on the Ryzen.

Wow those 1080p benchmarks are pretty impressive. I honestly didn't think v-cache would help that much. Pretty impressive specially considering it runs at lower clock speed compared to the 5800x.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So games and other similar workloads that have lots of small memory calls it’s faster, but productivity workloads that use fewer larger ones won’t.

I may be tempted by this to put it in place of my 3900x, but I’m probably better served by waiting another year or so. I think I’m better off seeing what Unreal 5 based games are needing for 120+ FPS at 1440p then building to that spec.

And if nothing does my monitor (Dell S3220DGF) supposedly does well with AMD free sync so that will play a strong role in my next GPU decision.

Interesting results, especially looking at the 1% lows, which are almost always better on the 5800 even when the average is essentially the same.

So games and other similar workloads that have lots of small memory calls it’s faster, but productivity workloads that use fewer larger ones won’t.

I may be tempted by this to put it in place of my 3900x, but I’m probably better served by waiting another year or so. I think I’m better off seeing what Unreal 5 based games are needing for 120+ FPS at 1440p then building to that spec.

And if nothing does my monitor (Dell S3220DGF) supposedly does well with AMD free sync so that will play a strong role in my next GPU decision.
Well for the record AMD has touted this CPU as being the fastest gaming processor. They knew this CPU would not be better in regular workloads compared to the 5800x.

So, if gaming is your thing (from the looks of it) there will be no faster processor for the AM4 chipset.

Well for the record AMD has touted this CPU as being the fastest gaming processor. They knew this CPU would not be better in regular workloads compared to the 5800x.

So, if gaming is your thing (from the looks of it) there will be no faster processor for the AM4 chipset.
Depending on the games you play. Open world games, etc. Yeah. CS:GO, etc. No. The raw clock frequency is going to be important when compared to a 5900x, which at this point is already a $395 CPU.

I’m split 50/50 between gaming and working. So I’m going to wait for real reviews, but I’ll probably wait for the Gen13 / AM5 matchup to see what’s what.

My B450 is great, but I have some things that could make use of faster M2 access and PCIE4 or 5 would obviously deliver.

Trying to stay off the hype train, my wallet can’t catch that ride.

Depending on the games you play. Open world games, etc. Yeah. CS:GO, etc. No. The raw clock frequency is going to be important when compared to a 5900x, which at this point is already a $395 CPU.
We don't know that yet until we get more benchmarks. This is still a very limited selection of games. For all we know the v-cache will increase CS:GO FPS.

Either way, it looks to be a really good gaming processor.

I’m split 50/50 between gaming and working. So I’m going to wait for real reviews, but I’ll probably wait for the Gen13 / AM5 matchup to see what’s what.

My B450 is great, but I have some things that could make use of faster M2 access and PCIE4 or 5 would obviously deliver.

Yeah if it's 50/50 then your best bet would be to get a 5900x. Or wait for AM5/7000 series CPU's.

Wouldn't be surprised if AMD overclocks this chip and shrink it for the next consoles.

I thought it was an actual legit review. Jury is still out on this. They sure are taking their time releasing it. Almost in time for AM5 to reach fever pitch hype.

Interesting results, especially looking at the 1% lows, which are almost always better on the 5800 even when the average is essentially the same.
On the 1% lows for 1080P, I count 6 wins for AMD, 1 win for Intel, and 4 ties.

I care more about 1% lows than averages, because it's the frame rate dips that affect the experience most.

Not bad. So for $450 you get a CPU which is as fast as a 12900K and 12900KS in gaming overall.

I think anyone who owns a 5600x or above can pass on this. But if you own a 2000/3000 ryzen, this will be a decent upgrade path when it comes to gaming only.
Anyone that doesn't own a 3080Ti or higher and plays at 1080p or lower probably has no need for it. Still, some of the results for it are insane.

I knew Intel was showing fear when they released the absurdly out of its efficiency curve 12900ks, turns out it was for good reason.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Anyone that doesn't own a 3080Ti or higher and plays at 1080p or lower probably has no need for it. Still, some of the results for it are insane.

I knew Intel was showing fear when they released the absurdly out of its efficiency curve 12900ks, turns out it was for good reason.
O yeah, if you game at 4k, and even in some regards 1440p, the CPU won't make much of a difference. Anyone who thought it would doesn't understand what a GPU bottleneck is.

You know, I guess one thing that does kind of blow my mind.....It uses what half the power of the 12900K/12900KS to get the same performance in gaming while being 1ghz less in clock speeds.

1649791647563.png

Again this is for gaming purposes only. I have to admit I didn't expect this type of performance from the 5800X3D.

It uses what half the power of the 12900K/12900KS to get the same performance in gaming while being 1ghz less in clock speeds.
Does a 12900K goes to those level when just gaming ? I would imagine games will be much lower than during a stress test.

Anyway if this is the best or almost best gaming CPU around, by any amount, available has a drop in for AM4, that is just really nice gamers still on a 2xxxx or 3xxx ryzen with a good AM4 motherboard.

You know, I guess one thing that does kind of blow my mind.....It uses what half the power of the 12900K/12900KS to get the same performance in gaming while being 1ghz less in clock speeds.

View attachment 463189

Again this is for gaming purposes only. I have to admit I didn't expect this type of performance from the 5800X3D.
Wonder if it runs substantially cooler.

View attachment 463189

But these are power consumption numbers for Prime95, where's the chart comparing power consumption numbers when gaming?

But these are power consumption numbers for Prime95, where's the chart comparing power consumption numbers when gaming?
Don't have one. They have superpi, prime95, and cinebench. Oh, and system idle power, which is just a bit lower for the x3d.

I would suspect power consumption for gaming is quite low. Most of the Ryzen stuff is pretty efficient when all cores aren't being hammered. You can generally count on closer to 100-120w for this CPU would be my guess for most games. Likely far less depending on the title, like 60-70w.

For cyberpunk at 1080p it seem to be around 155 watt, Borderlands 3 at 144 fps it wass to be around 88 watts if it run uncapped it goes at 155 watt has well

https://www.pcinvasion.com/intel-i9-12900k-gaming-performance-review/2/#:~:text=The processor averaged roughly 27W,responsiveness and averaged 8.77W.

It seem that some game can push a 12900K at 200w, which is significantly above the 5800x3d stress test total, lower the core count the closer a game should be to a cinebench/stress test power consumption too.

Not sure why that techpowerup review decided to use a 3900x for most of the comparisons of frametime, etc. It would have been far more relevant to see the 5900x. Even more so now that a 5900x can be bought new for $395. Given that a 5900x is about 20-30% faster than a 3900x.. I think it would really call to question if the 5800X3D is going to be worth the extra cash, and also sacrificing having four less cores.

Not bad. So for $450 you get a CPU which is as fast as a 12900K and 12900KS in gaming overall.

I think anyone who owns a 5600x or above can pass on this. But if you own a 2000/3000 ryzen, this will be a decent upgrade path when it comes to gaming only.

I just wish they'd release a Zen3 Threadripper version.

I'd drop one in in a heartbeat.

I just wish they'd release a Zen3 Threadripper version.

I'd drop one in in a heartbeat.
I don't think it's going to happen, I've given up on it.
I am working on finding different ways of doing things or just breaking things into multiple systems if need be.

Hmmm, No real reason to upgrade from my 5800x, although I still want it.
I know right AMD’s marketing is on point, be all like I know this doesn’t do me any good and I’m broke but I need this.

5900X3D was supposed to be my next cpu...... booo! Apparently too much competition for the next gen hardware. No point in sabotaging the next gen sales.

5900X3D was supposed to be my next cpu...... booo! Apparently too much competition for the next gen hardware. No point in sabotaging the next gen sales.
I think heat would have been a issue and likely reduced the clock speed to much. It's a nice step for those on older Zen chips.

I think heat would have been a issue and likely reduced the clock speed to much. It's a nice step for those on older Zen chips.
I think of the 5800x3d as AMD's third encore for the crowd that brought them back to prominence. They're producing one last CPU for a platform that could stretch back 5+ years for some users, that could raise their game performance to the bleeding edge for $450, no need to trash their x370 board and DDR4 3200 RAM. I've never seen intel support a platform the way AMD has supported AM4 with this move.

I've seen some comments from people expressing disappointment in the CPU's application performance, but I think they're completely missing the mark, as a possible drop in upgrade this thing is incredibly good, especially if the user is coming from Zen 2 or earlier. Would a 5950x3d also be nice? Sure, but it probably wouldn't show any significant difference in what this CPU's intended use (gaming) is for years.

I think of the 5800x3d as AMD's third encore for the crowd that brought them back to prominence. They're producing one last CPU for a platform that could stretch back 5+ years for some users, that could raise their game performance to the bleeding edge for $450, no need to trash their x370 board and DDR4 3200 RAM. I've never seen intel support a platform the way AMD has supported AM4 with this move.

I've seen some comments from people expressing disappointment in the CPU's application performance, but I think they're completely missing the mark, as a possible drop in upgrade this thing is incredibly good, especially if the user is coming from Zen 2 or earlier. Would a 5950x3d also be nice? Sure, but it probably wouldn't show any significant difference in what this CPU's intended use (gaming) is for years.

It is funny. I had sort of made peace with the various issues of first gen ryzen and mobo support. AMD finally deciding now that they have competition to admit they were lying on 300 series board support for the last 3-4 years as well as lowering prices and offering new variants has made me rather fed up with them and their BS. Toss in win11 support being iffy for first gen cpus and possibly the mobos, I fail to see the point of upgrading those 5 year old systems or even Zen+.

These might be a good snag down the road as an upgrade. I have a 3600x system here where this would be an upgrade across the board I'm sure. But like you no need to jump in unless the price is right. If I snag one of these around the next big zen launch at a good price... hey it might hold me over at least for gaming long enough to get to the refresh Zen4... who knows perhaps even the chip after that if games don't start using things like UE5 right away. lol

Back