5800X performance for $50 less?! Intel Rocket lake i7 11700K Review

Thanks. I probably will sell the 10700K. That is disappointing to read about SSD's in RAID 0. I have worked on PC's for about 25-years and I still feel like I know next to nothing.
P.S. I haven't actually tried it myself. It could simply be people whimpering about nanoseconds which don't actually matter. But I usually see discouraging remarks about putting SSD into RAID 0.

*I recently saw a video on Linus Tech Tips for a product which runs a couple of SSD together with a big cache and they couldn't get it to throttle from cache overthrow. Seemed pretty cool.

i ran a couple 60gb ocz v3 ssds in raid 0 for years, no issues and they still test 95%+.

I got rid of the useless part of the comment, because it was over by 34 characters, that's why I had to edit the comment. It would've been nice if all characters were allowed but it doesn't.
You completely change the context by changing what you changed, not sure you actually get it.

I am a professional! Even I don't care about an extra 12 seconds of time though.
GN put a good context on such a thing, though. When you are doing actual professional type work, it can take a really long time to finish a final render on a video. And those 12 seconds can add up a lot, over time. I think the example he gave is their GN animation, which takes roughly 60 seconds per frame, to render.

I got rid of the useless part of the comment, because it was over by 34 characters, that's why I had to edit the comment. It would've been nice if all characters were allowed but it doesn't.

I tried to see that GN video, but it's the same old same old, this guy complaints as if he'd know more than the Intel motherboard manufacturers and their engineers.

I wouldn't pay attention to any of those videos. When GN makes case reviews? The guy is really ignorant, Hardware Canucks is good for that, and whenever GN makes reviews for PSU? They hook them to these machines as if a home user will ever want to know the exact hairline detail of how a PSU handles wattage. Johnny Guru probably laughs at those reviews.

The motherboards can, CAN be adjusted manually in the BIOS OR software if you want to adjust the voltages, yes, by default, as per a manufacturer, the performance will vary, and funny that he has an ASUS box in the front when ASUS is the and my #1 choice for Intel motherboards. But also Intel systems are the most reliable and stable. I wouldn't want to get a system with a plethora of issues. Got my STRIX-E and the 10700KF and I'm actually bored now, no issues to report, not even the i225-V LAN controller which it took about a min to download and update the firmware and drivers but it was made out to be a major issue.

Get a 10700K for $319, better than a 5 series 6 core for $349. And the 10700K easily does 5.0GHz. If you're close to a Microcenter, the 10700K is only $249.99.

That video is misleading.

Yes the 5800X runs abit hotter than the rest in the stack enough to avoid it no.

Is the next video going to be well you shouldn't run AVX 512 work loads on Rocket lake because you know it pulls close to 300 watts.

Personally I would buy a 10850K for a new build vice 11700K, about same game performance, better productivity performance over the AMD 5800x and 11700k. Still wondering about the actual street price for the 11700K. Rocket lake has another limitation, max of 8 cores. If one bought AMD 6 core, you have options where you could get up to 16 cores later (as in when they are dirt cheap in 3 years or so) extending usefulness of a build. When one has multiple rigs, Daisey chaining upgrades is very cost effective, upgrade one, upgrade all. Intel has never worked out well for me in that regards, buy CPU and motherboard, stuck with same CPU in same motherboard as new CPUs are released. Is Z590 and Rocket Lake another dead end platform?

Personally I would buy a 10850K.....better productivity performance over the AMD 5800x and 11700k..
Not exactly true. AMD's CPU's beat an Intel with two more cores, in most instances being tested in reviews. There are a couple where Intel has a small win. But it seems for most things, AMD's 8 cores beat Intel's 10 cores when actually using your PC for work.

Not really, you have to read between the lines of the comments in the video. But it's obvious, it's all for views and likes as it was before.........before the 14-16 year blackout.
LOL between the lines? I was a 9900k owner and when he did the awards and gave it best overall, I agreed with all he said about the processor. He picked it as BEST overall, nothing to read between the lines. Unfortunately, you seem to be determined to find a reason for Steve's evaluation of the 11700k other than the fact that the processor is simply a lackluster product.
There is for sure a lot of Anti Intel stuff around, a lot of it now well deserved, but GN is surely one of the few that gives it to you straight. Some people just don't like to hear the truth.

Get a 10700K for $319, better than a 5 series 6 core for $349. And the 10700K easily does 5.0GHz. If you're close to a Microcenter, the 10700K is only $249.99.
I already have a 10700K and a Z590 motherboard. I already have an 11700K on pre-order (begrudgingly) so I can actually use the features of said motherboard. I thought the particular board I wanted would sale-out for a very long time like the 570X Dark Hero and 570X Strix-E did. Instead, the Z570 Maximus Hero XIII remained readily available at MSRP. I wanted to add a second m.2 drive without losing the RAID 5 setup as well as run the SSD at full speed. I learned not to pre-order a motherboard and CPU ever again, even if it means waiting several months to a year for them to become readily available near MSRP. This entire experience has left me soured and very resentful. So resentful, that I am still considering selling off ALL of my computer hardware, save for the laptop and Teac dual floppy drive.

I already have a 10700K and a Z590 motherboard. I already have an 11700K on pre-order (begrudgingly) so I can actually use the features of said motherboard. I thought the particular board I wanted would sale-out for a very long time like the 570X Dark Hero and 570X Strix-E did. Instead, the Z570 Maximus Hero XIII remained readily available at MSRP. I wanted to add a second m.2 drive without losing the RAID 5 setup as well as run the SSD at full speed. I learned not to pre-order a motherboard and CPU ever again, even if it means waiting several months to a year for them to become readily available near MSRP. This entire experience has left me soured and very resentful. So resentful, that I am still considering selling off ALL of my computer hardware, save for the laptop and Teac dual floppy drive.
I must have missed something along the way. What are you so upset about? Youve got a solid rig as is. What do you do that it fails at?
Right now is the perfect time to sell your mb. MC has nothing z590 high end in stock. Cancel your pre order and go with the mb cpu combo you are pining for...wheres the problem?

Personally I would buy a 10850K for a new build vice 11700K, about same game performance, better productivity performance over the AMD 5800x and 11700k.
Not exactly true. AMD's CPU's beat an Intel with two more cores, in most instances being tested in reviews.
Case in point, here is Puget Systems' comparison of AMD and Intel CPUs in productivity:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Review-Roundup-1962/
The 5800X beats the 10900K in the vast majority of benchmarks, and loses only in a few highly parallel rendering tests (and by only a small amount).

Factoring in the Z-series mobo and serious cooling that you need for the Intel CPU, it will have to be more than $100 cheaper than the 5800X to make up for the platform cost.

I must have missed something along the way. What are you so upset about? Youve got a solid rig as is. What do you do that it fails at?
Right now is the perfect time to sell your mb. MC has nothing z590 high end in stock. Cancel your pre order and go with the mb cpu combo you are pining for...wheres the problem?
I think he's just very disappointed in early RKL reviews, but that's the only way he's gonna get to use the full feature set of his mobo. Tomorrow should be fun.

I think he's just very disappointed in early RKL reviews, but that's the only way he's gonna get to use the full feature set of his mobo. Tomorrow should be fun.
Nah he's got a pretty valid thing in that with 500 series chipsets, one of the NVME slots is unusable for Comet Lake. Which wasn't made clear until about two weeks ago, when mobo vendors finally updated the wording in their features pages. Well after some 500 series boards had released. Its pretty annoying. Especially if you have a board with only 2 slots.
I also found that out the hard way. However, I don't really need both slots. and I was otherwise taking advantage of the RAM overclocking on H570 for non-K cpus. So I'm ok with it. But still a poor showing from Intel on getting clear messaging across on forward and backward compatibility.

Nah he's got a pretty valid thing in that with 500 series chipsets, one of the NVME slots is unusable for Comet Lake. Which wasn't made clear until about two weeks ago, when mobo vendors finally updated the wording in their features pages. Well after some 500 series boards had released. Its pretty annoying. Especially if you have a board with only 2 slots.
I also found that out the hard way. However, I don't really need both slots. and I was otherwise taking advantage of the RAM overclocking on H570 for non-K cpus. So I'm ok with it. But still a poor showing from Intel on getting clear messaging across on forward and backward compatibility.
Oh wow, didn't know that. What a mess.

I did not know about the first m.2 slot not functioning with Comet Lake until I received the board and read the manual. If I use m.2 slots two or three, it disables things I need, such as SATA ports for the hard drive raid and the optical drive. I am stuck with only m.2 slot four at the moment. I was not expecting Rocket Lake to blow everything away. I was expecting about a 1% to 5% increase in speed compared to the Ryzen 5800X with early leaks and estimated IPC uplift. I certainly was not expecting the 10700K to beat the 11700K. The power consumption and Apple's first CPU beating it really rubbed salt into the wound. I had thought about selling the board and just buying an X570 Dark Hero/Strix-E (good luck finding either at a reasonable price) and a Ryzen 5800X until I realized the cost. After fees and shipping, I may bring in $300 for the Z590 motherboard. I said screw it, it cannot be that bad of a CPU. Then all of this news started trickling out in the past week. Yes, I am very salty. A couple shakes worth with Intel and a dump truck's worth with myself.

so ummm the 11900k was barely faster than the 5800X when cl9cked to the moon. it's a disaster let's call it that. hot and slow is the common theme

And too bad amd can't overclock. Needless to say, it throttles when reaching steady high temps.
LOL You do know about PBO+CO, right?
With that style of OCIng it still beats anything Intel so not sure what your point is other than "brand loyalty".
Quick run of CB 20 just for a reference. Can Intel do that without burning the house down? 😁

Attachments

• 654_CB20_11450_User1_PBOCObutWasRebootingEarlierbutIranFix.JPG
    654_CB20_11450_User1_PBOCObutWasRebootingEarlierbutIranFix.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My good old i7-7700K is 14nm process just like the new i7-11700K. With the i7-7700K running stable at 4.8 Ghz for almost four years I see no justification to invest in a new CPU at this time. I did have the i7-11700K in my NE cart, but pulled it out once I realized what I wouldn't be gaining.

this 11900k must suck as bad as the 5900x because I can't find one in stock anywhere

this 11900k must suck as bad as the 5900x because I can't find one in stock anywhere
Is that a US thing? There's virtually unlimited stock in Europe since launch, it's like Rocket Lake isn't selling at all (and nor should it - I say that while running a 11900k myself). It's also a ridiculous 200€ higher than the 10900k. But I have not seen the lower end SKUs going out of stock either so far.

Totally unlike AMD 5900/5950 that is practically impossible to buy "normally" since launch (or the last gen of GPUs by nvidia/AMD - same madness). 5600/5800 also had a rough start but they have been readily available for some months now.

Last edited:
Is that a US thing? There's virtually unlimited stock in Europe since launch, it's like Rocket Lake isn't selling at all (and nor should it - I say that while running a 11900k myself). It's also a ridiculous 200€ higher than the 10900k. But I have not seen the lower end SKUs going out of stock either so far.

Totally unlike AMD 5900/5950 that is practically impossible to buy "normally" since launch (or the last gen of GPUs by nvidia/AMD - same madness). 5600/5800 also had a rough start but they have been readily available for some months now.
I see it at mindfactory for the equivalent of $770 which is ridiculous (wtf). Otherwise it doesn't seem like it's "virtually unlimited"...

I see it at mindfactory for the equivalent of $770 which is ridiculous (wtf). Otherwise it doesn't seem like it's "virtually unlimited"...
My local MC still has 5 in stock at $700 each. I have a feeling those are going to stick around unless someone reeeeally needs to show off the latest Intel 'flagship'.

My local MC still has 5 in stock at $700 each. I have a feeling those are going to stick around unless someone reeeeally needs to show off the latest Intel 'flagship'.

I mean there were still people who bought the FX 9590 for outrageous amounts of money, outrageous power draw, and mediocre performance compared to the competition, so I'm sure someone with more money than brains will pick it up. A fool and his money are soon parted...

I didn't know MC joined in on the price gouging. Not going to pay over retail for a cpu, in any situation :)

I mean there were still people who bought the FX 9590 for outrageous amounts of money, outrageous power draw, and mediocre performance compared to the competition, so I'm sure someone with more money than brains will pick it up. A fool and his money are soon parted...
I agree on that. The 9590 was a meme, but at least it can be used to dismiss the "but muh 5ghz" that some cling to.

Freq only matters if there is IPC to back it up.

On that note, at least the 11900k is pretty fast for all that wattage it gorges on. It's mainly the price that defeats it.

Case in point, here is Puget Systems' comparison of AMD and Intel CPUs in productivity:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Review-Roundup-1962/
The 5800X beats the 10900K in the vast majority of benchmarks, and loses only in a few highly parallel rendering tests (and by only a small amount).

Factoring in the Z-series mobo and serious cooling that you need for the Intel CPU, it will have to be more than $100 cheaper than the 5800X to make up for the platform cost.
Wow! Your right. Seeing a more comprehensive suite of tests definitely shows AMD strengths here. It is not as if Intel is in left field like Bulldozer was in the past compared to Intel. Unless one can get the Intel system at a significant lower cost, AMD just seems like a better performing buy.

Why not just get an i3 then? 4.8 is the stock, mine runs at 5.0GHz with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and soon will replace the thermal paste and I'm gonna try 5.1-5.2GHz. But praising a CPU for running stock? Non-sense.

Gabriel, CB20 is not an "overclocking" benchmark. It's for core efficiency, frequency, and counts.
LOL, you didn't know that, right?
WHAT are you even talking about?????
And hopefully, you know this: Gaming vs server CPU are not the same. 3.7GHz is not the same as 4.9GHz. 2014-2017 is not the same as 2020. (y)
Just making sure you don't compare Xeon vs 5950.
Again WHAT ARE YOU TAKING ABOUT????
Loyalty? You're so short on that, it's also "preference", "trust", "confidence" and much more. Not a fan of figuring out why my newly build PC is having "issues", just that.
Whatever you say...I can see your kind. Ignored.

So, can one run an 11700k at gear 1, higher than the stated 2933ghz? I have 3200c14 ram, is it possible to do that 1:1 or will I have to go with the 11900k for that?

I run my 11700 nonk in gear1 3733 cl16 and its pretty good for all tasks including gaming

I run my 11700 nonk in gear1 3733 cl16 and its pretty good for all tasks including gaming

That's not surprising. It's probably the best CPU out of the bunch if you get a good deal on it. I had the 10700 before, and with a little turbo and BCLK trickery, it was a pretty solid buy at the time.

$340 on a z490 i got for $80 now waiting for 4000 series nvidia to preorder since 3080s will never come down

$340 on a z490 i got for $80 now waiting for 4000 series nvidia to preorder since 3080s will never come down

Do make sure to thoroughly test that out, if you haven't already. My 11400 had a lot of issues on an older motherboard, even after I managed to do a firmware update on it. All I could do with it was get into the UEFI and none of the XMP profiles worked. Those last gen boards look like a good deal, but mine was quite the flop.

I think when it comes to this or any computer gear it all comes down to price for me. This would have been a very compelling option if I hadn't found a used 5800x a few months ago. Now? 5800x are below 400 in many places. But I'd conceed the original author's point. At MSRP is this a compelling part.

Why would anyone need a "firmware" update to make a CPU work w/o issues?

I think the problem relied on the end-user, not the hardware................to begin with.
XMP works when you have a reliable board........and Z590 is the "last" gen, not Z490.

Honestly I don't understand where you're confused. Firmware is basically synonymous with "bios", if you're confused at the term. But you could get that with about 1.5 seconds of googling, so that can't be it. The word "last" is generally synonymous with "previous" in colloquial English (depending on context), if you're not a native speaker. If you want to use a last (previous) gen motherboard with a new (current) gen CPU, on the same socket, you might need to do a bios update. Z590 is the chipset designed for 11th gen CPUs. Z490 was designed for 10th gen CPUs and have spotty support with 11th gen CPUs... which this topic is about, and hence I was cautioning the user about a situation that I personally experienced:

https://hardforum.com/threads/h470i-aorus-with-intel-i5-11400-issues.2010925/
TL;DR:
I had a brief topic where I had to struggle to try to get an i5 11400 to work with an h470i, a well-built end motherboard of the last generation. And the end all I was able to do was get it to essentially finally get into the UEFI, after I found a USB 2.0 drive to do a headless (no gui) BIOS update flash. I could get to Windows, but only for about 2-3 seconds before it bootlooped, and enabling an XMP profile would cause it to instantly bootloop and require a bios settings reset to even get into UEFI. I replaced it with a cheap Asrock Z590 and everything worked instantly and smoothly (and also cost a lot more money...).

Back