5800X performance for $50 less?! Intel Rocket lake i7 11700K Review

More based on facts, tests thus far. Conclusions which can change with updated data. If you are not interested in better performance, lower power required, more features then that is your call.
Trust me when I say it's definitely my call. That's why I'm here, in the Intel section of the forum asking about an Intel CPU review.

Trust me when I say it's definitely my call. That's why I'm here, in the Intel section of the forum asking about an Intel CPU review.
Which does not exist in a vacuum and thus the comparisons. Not sure your point? Yes, you can make any decision good or bad based on whatever you choose to be important to you, agree there.

Just remove the manufacturer names AMD and Intel, which processor and platform will better suite what you want to do? That is how I try to do it. Sometimes it can be both depending upon if each has something better than the other that I will use.

Last edited:
Which does not exist in a vacuum and thus the comparisons. Not sure your point? Yes, you can make any decision good or bad based on whatever you choose to be important to you, agree there.

Just remove the manufacturer names AMD and Intel, which processor and platform will better suite what you want to do? That is how I try to do it. Sometimes it can be both depending upon if each has something better than the other that I will use.
Noko - you are in an Intel section of the forum in a thread talking about new Intel CPU's. I don't give two shits about your thoughts on AMD. You took it upon yourself to respond to my request to the OP to post the other review he mentioned at the top of this thread. Now that I've made it fairly clear that I don't care about comparing these CPU's to AMD ones, this is the point where you stop responding. Grow up.

Noko - you are in an Intel section of the forum in a thread talking about new Intel CPU's. I don't give two shits about your thoughts on AMD. You took it upon yourself to respond to my request to the OP to post the other review he mentioned at the top of this thread. Now that I've made it fairly clear that I don't care about comparing these CPU's to AMD ones, this is the point where you stop responding. Grow up.
If I have not grown up by now, that would be a lost cause. If AMD data hurt your feelings then why even bother looking at reviews in the first place? Just buy Intel with blind folders on and not waste time with reviews even, the reviews themselves have AMD all through them :D. Are we on a college campus now where we have safe zones to prevent offending someone? Yes Intel section and when one talks about one product you usually compare it, if possible with similar competitive products.

The OP has a comparison to an AMD 5800x, thus appropriate AMD relative information/data is appropriate regardless of your feelings. Enough said.

And yet.....here I am......having a "devoted" fan all to myself. If I could only command you more....But that's a whole 'nother thread. Although I wouldn't bother as much and you have, it's funny the big effort you've put all to myself. Nice!

I was trying to take some screenshots for my new book, The Idiots Guide to Forums, but now I'm curious what you were deleting.

Screenshot_20210324-070454~3.jpg
Screenshot_20210324-070641~2.jpg
Screenshot_20210324-071143~2.jpg

If I have not grown up by now, that would be a lost cause. If AMD data hurt your feelings then why even bother looking at reviews in the first place? Just buy Intel with blind folders on and not waste time with reviews even, the reviews themselves have AMD all through them :D. Are we on a college campus now where we have safe zones to prevent offending someone? Yes Intel section and when one talks about one product you usually compare it, if possible with similar competitive products.

The OP has a comparison to an AMD 5800x, thus appropriate AMD relative information/data is appropriate regardless of your feelings. Enough said.

It's like people somehow don't feel like a "review" of a processor should include a comparison with comparable products from the competition or allow for discussion of said comparable products. Without a comparison to other products what exactly are you reviewing? Maybe they just don't understand the concept...

Last edited:
It's like people somehow don't feel like a "review" of a processor should include a comparison with comparable products from the competition or allow for discussion of said comparable products. Without a comparison to other products what exactly are you reviewing? Maybe they just don't understand the concept...
Or, perhaps some people have their reasons for what they're looking for and don't need to explain it to any forum trolls? Haven't you posted enough times to realize when to open your mouth and when to keep quiet kirbster? I asked the OP when his 11900k review was coming, and someone felt the need to convince me to buy an AMD processor. When I ask the question "which CPU should I buy because I don't know what to do??" by all means respond away with suggestions. But until then, get lost the both of you nitwits lol.

I was just noticing something, you waited 15 years just for: See! I told you so!! lmao.
Thank you. I'm flattered. I've never had a superfan. Just don't see why you're wasting your time. Would that first chapter in your book all bout yourself? Obvious right!
And I just need 100 posts for a reason.......figure it out my superfan!!! ;)
I would get a forum restraining order on that creeper stalker dude. That's beyond weird. Suddenly realizing why I stopped visiting this forum years ago...

Or, perhaps some people have their reasons for what they're looking for and don't need to explain it to any forum trolls? Haven't you posted enough times to realize when to open your mouth and when to keep quiet kirbster? I asked the OP when his 11900k review was coming, and someone felt the need to convince me to buy an AMD processor. When I ask the question "which CPU should I buy because I don't know what to do??" by all means respond away with suggestions. But until then, get lost the both of you nitwits lol.

Yeah because you posting asking for an 11900k review immediately grants every other user knowledge of your infatuation with Intel despite possible shortcomings. But somehow I'm the nitwit? Another one for the ignore list.

This forum is great, but like anything else in life, you always get a few people who make you scratch your head.... lol.

I don't know. I'm always amused when someone takes the time to point out the stupidity of others.

Yeah because you posting asking for an 11900k review immediately grants every other user knowledge of your infatuation with Intel despite possible shortcomings. But somehow I'm the nitwit? Another one for the ignore list.

I don't know. I'm always amused when someone takes the time to point out the stupidity of others.
Trust me big guy - I know you are super smart - but asking for someone to post their promised 11900k review doesn't warrant an unwanted lesson in CPU's, not to mention you had nothing to do with it. I know all about AMD and their latest offerings, and how they compare to Intel. But when one makes it perfectly clear they don't care - it's quite odd how you fanboys ignore that and keep at it. It's ok that you're wrong in this situation, we won't think less of you.

I was just noticing something, you waited 15 years just for: See! I told you so!! lmao.
Thank you. I'm flattered. I've never had a superfan. Just don't see why you're wasting your time. Would that first chapter in your book all bout yourself? Obvious right!
And I just need 100 posts for a reason.......figure it out my superfan!!! ;)

Awww, it's stupid AND lazy. I worry about the first girl or guy to show give you positive attention in real life, you're practically begging to be topped and we just met.

Don't worry, I'll only link to the best of compilation whenever I see you pop up and violate your own rule about not bothering with things you don't like. It's been a while since Juanrga got his custom title, you'll probably do as his half bit replacement.

Hmm.....you're what? Ok, so you haven't figured it out. You're a disappointment. Don't forget to put that in the first two chapters of your book.

Chapter 1: Nasgul finds out about multi-quote
Chapter 2: The disappointment of Nasgul
Chapter 3: ?

Honestly, I miss a higher quality troll. Idiotincharge might have been an actual idiot, but he did it with style.

Well........just like JayZ said.....in order to get more "views" and "likes", praise amd and bash Intel, it's just like 15 years ago. Clearly you remember that. Ask my devoted fan, he can give you a heads up about that too.
Actually when everyone else was bashing Intel, GN still gave the 9900k best overall CPU award so hardly a biased channel but when something is bad is just bad. People need to accept that and not try to blame on bias.

idk man, that performance bump just doesn't seem worth it now that the 10700k can be had for ~$250. For anyone who doesn't care for or need the PCIe 4.0 connectivity, it's still going to be a hard sell, imo, although it definitely should sell hand-over-first compared to the 11900k. But then again, the i9-10850k also still exists....

This just seems like a total skip for anyone that wasn't already on at least a 6-core *Lake CPU, as OP pointed out, because it would be kinda goofy to wait 3+ years to upgrade from a Sky/Kaby 4-core to a non-PCIe4 platform, at least.

That $250 is only good at Microcenter. However, you can get the 10700K on Amazon for about $298 so, it is still a good deal.

For those crying about AMD discussion, thread title starts with 5800X, just sayin... :whistle:
For sure man, you nailed it. It's definitely not because certain individuals kept going on and on about AMD, after being politely told right off the bat that there was no interest in AMD.

For some reason when the conversation involves anything new intel or amd cpu or new amd or nvidia gpu it seems so hard for people not to automatically see it as an opportunity to turn it into an intel VS amd or nvidia VS amd argument. It doesnt matter what the conversation is truly about, it inevitably devolves into an argument about one being superior or inferior compared to the other and if you disagree with my point of view your a complete idiot and i hate you.
It just baffles me how such a small community comprised primarily of adult enthusiasts can have such deep rooted anger towards one another over computer hardware. Hardware is worthy of getting so angry about? Obviously there are some serious personal issues going on in this thread that should never have happened but barring those, why do these threads always get so twisted?

To veer more to topic, as some else said, I am looking forward to some 11900k reviews next week. I'm on the fence with getting a new platform, or simply holding out till late in the year and roll the dice with a DDR5 platform.

On the plus side, if I got a mobo and cpu now to hold me over for a bit, I'd be able to keep everything else I have, so cheaper upgrade.

Still, can't say I have the "need" yet at 4k, but I'm sure some more IPC and a newer platform can smooth out any rough edges.

the results seem in line with the expectation for the 11700k however and as many Ryzen 5800x owners will confirm the scores are low like the CPU was throttled to 4.5ghz. it seems baseline and not best case.

the 11700k is more or less the same just with weaker multicore scaling and will need about 500mhz or so to match the 5800x. the 11900k with the 200-300mhz more will will scrape ahead go out only because of 10-15% higher frequency.

Intel have gone high frequency, low through put, AND went lower frequency more throughput. the OP should do a 4ghz test and turn off MCE, TVB and adaptive boost to see real CPU throughput.

the results seem in line with the expectation for the 11700k however and as many Ryzen 5800x owners will confirm the scores are low like the CPU was throttled to 4.5ghz. it seems baseline and not best case.

the 11700k is more or less the same just with weaker multicore scaling and will need about 500mhz or so to match the 5800x. the 11900k with the 200-300mhz more will will scrape ahead go out only because of 10-15% higher frequency.

Intel have gone high frequency, low through put, AND went lower frequency more throughput. the OP should do a 4ghz test and turn off MCE, TVB and adaptive boost to see real CPU throughput.

There's no point. It's not a secret that AMD is going to win handily at the same clockspeed. Techspot (or Techreport) already did that with Zen2 and Comet Lake and AMD was already ahead. Intel just clocks higher to make up the difference.

I have no problem with any and all boost algorithms whether it be PBO or TVB, etc. to show best case scenarios, but I think they should also do "OEM" style testing without it and running within the designated boost/power windows and memory at the rated speeds for the platform.

There's no point. It's not a secret that AMD is going to win handily at the same clockspeed. Techspot (or Techreport) already did that with Zen2 and Comet Lake and AMD was already ahead. Intel just clocks higher to make up the difference.

I have no problem with any and all boost algorithms whether it be PBO or TVB, etc. to show best case scenarios, but I think they should also do "OEM" style testing without it and running within the designated boost/power windows and memory at the rated speeds for the platform.
sure, physics dictates that either the throughput is higher or frequency is higher but never both together. a cpu with more throughput wins in nearly all scenarios bar maybe gaming. however in gaming Intel doesn't have the advantage they used to have and general usage is stacked in favour of AMD from efficiency to throughput AMD is king of the ring.

Are you a professional Blender Benchmark competitor?

sure, physics dictates that either the throughput is higher or frequency is higher but never both together. a cpu with more throughput wins in nearly all scenarios bar maybe gaming. however in gaming Intel doesn't have the advantage they used to have and general usage is stacked in favour of AMD from efficiency to throughput AMD is king of the ring.
Are you still gaming at 1080p?

11900K is just a binned 11700K so not much to think about differently. Still looking forward to see the potential.

I pre-ordered an 11900K because I have a Z490 new build to fill. Figured why not get the latest & greatest (or not).

My local Microcenter does not even have pre-order for an 11900k; only a 11700k and 11600k. Also, all the good Z590 motherboards are no longer in stock.

My local Microcenter does not even have pre-order for an 11900k; only a 11700k and 11600k. Also, all the good Z590 motherboards are no longer in stock.
Probably already sold out. I heard they dropped their pre-orders early (on reddit). I was watching them quite a while until BB did their drop on 3/17 and I scored one.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!
I am really, really regretting my purchase now. I am regretting giving that Asus 570X Strix-E to my nephew when I could not get a 5000 series Ryzen more so. I was just going to get the 11700K anyway because I have a nice Z590 board in hopes that it was close enough to the 5800X to warrant the $400 price. Now, I am contemplating stripping the GPU, PSU, sound card and just dropping the rest of the system into the dumpster. I am that disappointed with the product and THAT disgusted with myself.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!
I am really, really regretting my purchase now. I am regretting giving that Asus 570X Strix-E to my nephew when I could not get a 5000 series Ryzen more so. I was just going to get the 11700K anyway because I have a nice Z590 board in hopes that it was close enough to the 5800X to warrant the $400 price. Now, I am contemplating stripping the GPU, PSU, sound card and just dropping the rest of the system into the dumpster. I am that disappointed with the product and THAT disgusted with myself.
Everything will be ok. You won't have any issue selling it if you don't open it. Were you planning on extreme overclocking? What do you use the pc for mostly?

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!
For $50 less----I think it is reasonably close enough. I wonder if AMD will drop the 5800x to $400?

However, if you are mostly focused on gaming, you can get a 10700f non-K for $250 or maybe less, if you are patient and look for coupon codes. And end up with the same gaming performance as the 11700k, for $150 less. Of you could get a 10850k for like $350 and have 10 cores and end up with the same/better gaming performance. And probably average out to the same or slightly better performance in multi-threaded productivity.

*the 10900 non-K is 344.99 on Newegg right now, according to slickdeals.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14905378-i...ktop-processor-for-344-99-ac-fs?src=catpagev2

Last edited:
I have the Asus Z590 Maximus Hero XIII in my computer currently. I doubt I could sell it for enough to purchase another 570X Strix-E much less a Dark Hero. I have a 10700K already. Unfortunately, I only have about $450 set aside. I really wanted to install the second Samsung 980 Pro I have and run them in RAID 0. I would lose two more SATA ports if I installed it in the third m.2 slot. This would take out my storage drive of three 4TB hard drives in RAID 5. I also really wanted to run the drives at full speed. I had planned on running a medium level overclock with a 280mm AIO cooler. I do not game much anymore. About the only modern game I play is World of Warcraft. I wanted a really badass computer and was looking forward to the release of this CPU. Instead, I got less than mediocre.

I have the Asus Z590 Maximus Hero XIII in my computer currently. I doubt I could sell it for enough to purchase another 570X Strix-E much less a Dark Hero. I have a 10700K already. Unfortunately, I only have about $450 set aside. I really wanted to install the second Samsung 980 Pro I have and run them in RAID 0. I would lose two more SATA ports if I installed it in the third m.2 slot. This would take out my storage drive of three 4TB hard drives in RAID 5. I also really wanted to run the drives at full speed. I had planned on running a medium level overclock with a 280mm AIO cooler. I do not game much anymore. About the only modern game I play is World of Warcraft. I wanted a really badass computer and was looking forward to the release of this CPU. Instead, I got less than mediocre.
Well then I would suggest selling the 10700k and replacing it with an 11700k or even an 11900f

P.S. its generally not recommend to RAID 0 solid state drives unless you really need the extra throughput. As it lowers the access times, which is what makes an SSD feel so quick for general usage.

I have the Asus Z590 Maximus Hero XIII in my computer currently. I doubt I could sell it for enough to purchase another 570X Strix-E much less a Dark Hero.
I thought you meant you had already pre ordered an 11 series CPU. I'd say buy the 11700k and sell the 10700k, if you are seeking the pcie 4.0 drive benchmarking scores. Otherwise put the money in the sock drawer and wait a little longer and see if prices change a lot or they sneak another CPU into the mix, although you're probably seeing the end of LGA1200 with these.

Well then I would suggest selling the 10700k and replacing it with an 11700k or even an 11900f

P.S. its generally not recommend to RAID 0 solid state drives unless you really need the extra throughput. As it lowers the access times, which is what makes an SSD feel so quick for general usage.
Thanks. I probably will sell the 10700K. That is disappointing to read about SSD's in RAID 0. I have worked on PC's for about 25-years and I still feel like I know next to nothing.

Back