5800x cooling question

Why would you need 5800x or better on GPU under GTX 2070 / 5700 XT if you can to explain me ? :)
Sure, this may make little sense but it's my way of thinking, I change mobo/cpu only when I really need to. So if I had RTX 2070 or equivalent and old, lets say 4c/4t platform I'd still upgrade to something like 8 cores. I7 or R7 and left GPU alone for at least a year. Doesn't matter if CPU is overpowered compared to GPU, it's just something I don't change that often, and it's a bit harder to sell than graphics card. Then in 2022, chances are this platform will still be enough to support new GPUs. I'm not that sure if the same can be said about any 6 core platform available now.

have NO idea what you said about my cooling question
oh sorry ;) 5800X is pretty hard to keep cool and I've seen a lot of mid range AIO struggling. Anything below 280 is not even on AMD recommended list. https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-thermal-solutions
I haven't seen any significant difference in performance, if you get good 5800X paired with mobo that has working BIOS you'll be good with any 280.
I'm running my 5800X on air (Noctua D15s) and it's fine, but that's like almost top of air cooling you can get.

im thinking of going 5800x i was reading it needs some pretty good cooling something better than a 120 AIO or am i mistaken? I could add a 240 or a even a 280 in my case i beleive if needed. have you heard or know anything different from what ive read or can recommend. Tankies in Advanced :)

It's an 8 core 7nm part. A 120mm H80i would be plenty while still running quiet. Even a good air cooler would be fine.

It's an 8 core 7nm part. A 120mm H80i would be plenty while still running quiet. Even a good air cooler would be fine.
That's part of the picture. While all you said is correct, it's also allowed to use the same TDP as 5900X so it just puls more power for it's size, and that makes it really hard cool. If you allow stock PB & lower limits then lots of people struggle to keep it under 90C during single CB R20 pass.
Good air cooler may mean different things e.g. Noctua D15 which is top air cooler can beat most of 240mm AIOs

Personally, I think there's something wrong with the way the way the software for the 5800X is tuned. On my machine, I just ran back to back Cinebench R23 runs:

Vcore offset [V]Peak Temp [°C]Peak Clock [MHz]Cinebench R23

There is absolutely no excuse for a processor to be getting better performance when it's been user undervolted.

The lower the temp, the higher ryzen will clock. You lowered the temp 6C thus the cpu has more headroom to clock higher.

The lower the temp, the higher ryzen will clock. You lowered the temp 6C thus the cpu has more headroom to clock higher.
So why is AMD's software trying to run the chip at such a high voltage? I shouldn't manually have to undervolt the processor to get it to behave correctly. Even my idle temps are crazy high, with -0.1V it idles at like 42°C on a 220 AIO.

So why is AMD's software trying to run the chip at such a high voltage? I shouldn't manually have to undervolt the processor to get it to behave correctly. Even my idle temps are crazy high, with -0.1V it idles at like 42°C on a 220 AIO.
You need to google more.

When I had the 5800x, when bench testing, I was idling at 38C and spiked all the way to 87C pretty consistently during Cinebench. This was using the H115i ELITE CAPELLIX inside the 4000x RGB.

However, if you lower voltage to tame the temperature, that also impacts the highest clock speed.

Back