5800 non-ultra and D3

Josh_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

What do you think a 5800 is going to perform like in Doom 3? Mine is watercooled, and I can get the core to 496 and mem to 956, but any higher and I get artifacts and the temp goes way, way high.

Should I keep my card if I want to be able to play at 1024x768? Probably not...

One more thing... if I can't play D3 nicely with the 5800, then I was thinking about a 6800 plain... since that's all I could even "sort of" afford.

What temps are you getting?
Most artifacting is caused by memory, so try lowering those settings and upping the core until you get ingame freezes, then lower the core by around 15mhz.

Josh_B said:
One more thing... if I can't play D3 nicely with the 5800, then I was thinking about a 6800 plain... since that's all I could even "sort of" afford.

go with that as the nv3x has really poor shaders. so even if you get the fps you will still have poor image quality. and i've seen the 6800non ultra beat the x800xtpe in doom 3

Well, the benchmarks on the front page put the 5950 at these #s w/ detail on "high":
no AA/AF 50.6 fps
no AA/8x AF 43.4 fps
4x AA/8x AF 32.1 fps

I bet it'll be playable w/ good detail at 1024x768 on that board. Might get 30-40 fps w/ stuff on high. (I'm kinda fuzzy on how much slower the 5800 is than the 5950) I'd definately keep it till you get the game, then order a new card if you think you really want one.

zandor said:
Well, the benchmarks on the front page put the 5950 at these #s w/ detail on "high":
no AA/AF 50.6 fps
no AA/8x AF 43.4 fps
4x AA/8x AF 32.1 fps

I bet it'll be playable w/ good detail at 1024x768 on that board. Might get 30-40 fps w/ stuff on high. (I'm kinda fuzzy on how much slower the 5800 is than the 5950) I'd definately keep it till you get the game, then order a new card if you think you really want one.

I would at least try it.. Everyone love new tech, but food is important too! :p ....well maybe not, but I'd give it a good go anyway

PandaZ3 said:
I would at least try it.. Everyone love new tech, but food is important too! :p ....well maybe not, but I'd give it a good go anyway

Indeed...

food > video cards

zandor said:
no AA/AF 50.6 fps
no AA/8x AF 43.4 fps
4x AA/8x AF 32.1 fps

The 5800 ultra was significantly slower than the 5900, which as you know, is slower than the 5950. Given that mine is a 5800 non-ultra, I think we's gonna be needing a new card :(

Josh_B said:
The 5800 ultra was significantly slower than the 5900, which as you know, is slower than the 5950. Given that mine is a 5800 non-ultra, I think we's gonna be needing a new card :(
Yeah and it only has a 128-bit memory bus.

You have a pretty nice overclock for 800MHz rated memory. It's still only 15.3GB/s bandwidth, around the same as a 5700 Ultra. But with 8 pipelines at close to 500MHz, I guess it shouldn't be too far behind a 5900XT if Doom3 is more limited by shader performance than video memory bandwidth.

Will you be able to play Doom 3? If you believe them when they say it runs fine on a GF4MX (GF2 in disguise) then of course... Will it run like you want it to? That remains to be seen..

get the 6800 plain version. from what i've heard it's supposed to own doom3 for the $$$

Josh_B said:

Actually the 5800 Ultra wasnt all that much slower than the 5900, due to the fact that it used DD2 memory at 1 ghz, which made up for some of the lack of the 128 bit bus. It usually performed within 5%, but had all kinds of heat trouble and was to say the least loud.

As for playing Doom 3, I doubt you will have much trouble, not the highest settings, but easily playable. Since the 5800s main competition was the Radeon 9800 Pro, which had about a 15% performance lead most of the time on it. And supposedly the 9800 Pro plays D3 nicely. Then take in account its an OpenGL game where Nvidia dominates.

While, I usually dont like Toms that much, his VGA chart helps put things in perspective somewhat..

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

UltimaParadox said:
Actually the 5800 Ultra wasnt all that much slower than the 5900, due to the fact that it used DD2 memory at 1 ghz, which made up for some of the lack of the 128 bit bus. It usually performed within 5%, but had all kinds of heat trouble and was to say the least loud.

As for playing Doom 3, I doubt you will have much trouble, not the highest settings, but easily playable. Since the 5800s main competition was the Radeon 9800 Pro, which had about a 15% performance lead most of the time on it. And supposedly the 9800 Pro plays D3 nicely. Then take in account its an OpenGL game where Nvidia dominates.

While, I usually dont like Toms that much, his VGA chart helps put things in perspective somewhat..

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Thanks for the link.... actually things might be ok, after looking at the graphs.

Josh_B said:
I could eat all kraft dinner for a month and afford the ultra.

I would if matters called for it. I spend more time on the computer than eating anyway.

I think that you will be able to play 1024x768 @ medium detail just fine.

Then again new hardware is always sweet :D

tranCendenZ said:

Cool. As long as I'm not going to be seeing shittay grafix coming from mah Athlon64 ;)

tranCendenZ said:

Cool. As long as I'm not going to be seeing shittay grafix coming from mah Athlon64 ;)

*Has bad flashback to ATI Rage II 4MB PCI graphics* **shudder*

i would suggest saving a little more money and getting the 6800gt instead. i think its just a little more futureproof with the ddr3 and the 256mb of memory.

chuckm1020 said:
i would suggest saving a little more money and getting the 6800gt instead. i think its just a little more futureproof with the ddr3 and the 256mb of memory.

Just wondering what you are talking about :confused:

Not too be too bad of a flamer, but come on that is two in a row...

Did you guys even read the post? The guy asked about his 5800 NU, and we got people talking about saving money and getting a 6800GT....

I guess the new generic video card answer is get a 6800xx.... sheesh

You know you can always wait for the demo and load it for free and then make your decision unless you're like me and feel that would taint your experience :) Hopefully id will release the demo this week, BEFORE the game hits the stores. I know that will help my decision on the upgrade, as my TI4400 is startin to show its age as well.

UltimaParadox said:
Not too be too bad of a flamer, but come on that is two in a row...

Did you guys even read the post? The guy asked about his 5800 NU, and we got people talking about saving money and getting a 6800GT....

I guess the new generic video card answer is get a 6800xx.... sheesh
he also asked if he should get a 6900nu, and i just suggested a 6900gt, so i am on topic :D

chuckm1020 said:
he also asked if he should get a 6900nu, and i just suggested a 6900gt, so i am on topic :D

Hey, no worries.

I just wish I had enough $$$ to get the ultra - it sure looks sweet.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I'll also be taking the nv30/Doom3 plunge... with my new 64 bit rig... I'm hopeful that I'll get OK playability @ 1152x864 with stuff set to medium... (yes I'll have 1gb ram by then :p)

And it might actually benifit us nv30 owners to use 3danalyze and run our cards in nv20 mode...

Look, I know it'll decrease IQ, but the nv30 path was dropped, and word has it that nv30 will experience a lotta fps variations due to this... so I'm interested in steadyness in the frames...

ragejg said:
I'll also be taking the nv30/Doom3 plunge... with my new 64 bit rig... I'm hopeful that I'll get OK playability @ 1152x864 with stuff set to medium... (yes I'll have 1gb ram by then :p)

And it might actually benifit us nv30 owners to use 3danalyze and run our cards in nv20 mode...

Look, I know it'll decrease IQ, but the nv30 path was dropped, and word has it that nv30 will experience a lotta fps variations due to this... so I'm interested in steadyness in the frames...

Yeah I guess I just want to know if my rig will play D3 at anything above 640x480...

Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T Neo-FISR2
1GB PC3200 CL2.5
MSI FX5800 @ +-/5MHz Ultra speeds.

Does anyone know of voltage mods for the MSI FX5800 so I can give the RAM and core just a bit more voltage. They look to be pretty stable at near ultra speeds, but I'm just barely falling short. If I know I can make FX5800U, then I'll keep my card, flash it w/the 5800U BIOS, and be done with it. My card is completely watercooled, so temps are not an issue, as far as I know.

Josh_B said:

*Has bad flashback to ATI Rage II 4MB PCI graphics* **shudder*

/me thinks back to S3 ViRGE...

I just got a pny 6800 "plain" at compussr for 300 bucks. I hope I did the right thing....

Can anyone tell me how my system will do in doom 3? It is a:

dual proc athlon MP 1600+
512 megs pc2100
geforce 6800 "plain"
TBSC

I wanna be able to crank of the quality and resolution at least a little. :(

meh, sometimes I wish I would have saved 100 more bucks for the gt, but it's a lot to spend on a video card....

Leright said:
I just got a pny 6800 "plain" at compussr for 300 bucks. I hope I did the right thing....

Can anyone tell me how my system will do in doom 3? It is a:

dual proc athlon MP 1600+
512 megs pc2100
geforce 6800 "plain"
TBSC

Unless Doom 3 can take advantage of multi processors, which I dont think it does. You are definetly bottle necked by your 1600+, but for the most part you should be able to run the game fairly well

UltimaParadox said:
Unless Doom 3 can take advantage of multi processors, which I dont think it does. You are definetly bottle necked by your 1600+, but for the most part you should be able to run the game fairly well

are you sure about that? Quake 3 was multi threaded, so I assumed Doom 3 was. :(

Leright said:
are you sure about that? Quake 3 was multi threaded, so I assumed Doom 3 was. :(

I remember reading an article about that, I will see if I can find it. Because I was under the same impression until I read that. But don't hold me to it, hopefully I am wrong. :)

Link to a thread concerning it in a way, but I cant seem to find the specific article... Maybe it was all heresay and I am just misinformed

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=781246

UltimaParadox said:

Almost all ID programs are multi-threaded.

EDIT: And you need more ram. Get another 512, and OC those 1600+ as far as you can.

lopoetve said:
Almost all ID programs are multi-threaded.

EDIT: And you need more ram. Get another 512, and OC those 1600+ as far as you can.

I have a tyan tiger mp 2640 mobo, and it doesn't support ocing. lol

and if I were to get 512 more megs of ram I'd have to replace my existing 512 stick as well. If you go above 512 megs of ram you need to use registered memory on my board.

:(

U will be able to play the game smoothly at 1024x768
as long as u own GEFORCE 4, FX 5800 , FX 5950 or 6800 series

only those should worry who owns unlucky ATI 9700 ,9800 or x800 :(

Leright said:
I have a tyan tiger mp 2640 mobo, and it doesn't support ocing. lol

and if I were to get 512 more megs of ram I'd have to replace my existing 512 stick as well. If you go above 512 megs of ram you need to use registered memory on my board.

:(

:wtf: No more than 512 without registered?!?

Time for a new mobo/cpu.

Back