58 XBox One Systems Stolen

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for "stupid criminal of the day" goes to this guy for getting arrested after buying a stolen Xbox One.

According to court papers, Karlen Ingram, 31, is facing theft and false reports charges after prosecutors said he lied to police. A total of 58 Xbox One systems, worth $58,000, went missing November 13. A witness saw a gray SUV and a black pickup truck pull away from her tractor-trailer. The theft was discovered afterwards.

So confused, if you buy it and honestly don't know it is stolen how does that make you a criminal?

How are 58 xbox ones that retail for $500 a piece worth $1000/piece? Insurance claim purposes?

How are 58 xbox ones that retail for $500 a piece worth $1000/piece? Insurance claim purposes?

It's very obvious that since we are now using amazon feedback to determine ps4 failure rates, we are also now using eBay prices to determine cost of unreleased console.

Target shipped out 150 consoles on accident last almost 2 weeks ago, so having one doesn't mean it's stolen.

Is there such a thing as a local news site that doesn't look terrible?

So confused, if you buy it and honestly don't know it is stolen how does that make you a criminal?

Its illegal to buy stolen property, as he bought the console before its release date he must have known or had a reasonable suspicion that it was stolen.

It's very obvious that since we are now using amazon feedback to determine ps4 failure rates, we are also now using eBay prices to determine cost of unreleased console.

Sure, why not? I use ebay prices all the time to figure out what old gear might be worth to someone else. If someone's willing to pay $1000 to have it before launch day, than the system was "worth" $1000 to that person.

Remember, retail cost <> worth... Most new blu-ray discs cost $20 or more, albums $10... but most of them aren't worth that much (IMHO). :)

Now, I wouldn't use that "worth" as part of an official news story without some kind of qualifier... Worth $1000 on the black market? Worth $1000 in the resale market? Maybe that would cut it. But otherwise, it just makes the reporter look stupid.

Anyhow, to the others who asked why the buyer got in trouble... It's illegal to purchase stolen goods, whether you know they're stolen or not. The penalties for buying stolen goods aren't as severe as actually stealing something, but it's still illegal. (Just like it's illegal to ask, coerce or pay someone else to commit murder, even if you don't commit the murder itself....) Anyhow, as the old saying goes... buyer beware.

That sure seems like INSURANCE math. 58 x 1,000 = $58,000. Xbox One costs $499.

That's the Ebay price on launch day, which we know people are..silly enough to pay to try and claim amongst their few friends they were the first to get one!

Well in this case it's not been released yet, correct? You would have to know something ain't right....

I didn't know that it wasn't released yet. I assumed it came out as the same time as the PS4.

Back