5700XT driver situation August 2020

Agree. Now AMD has to decide if it wants to run with the big dogs, meaning nVidia and Intel soon enough. Intel actually has a reputation for high quality compilers.

I've always felt like AMD was able to do so much on their engineersing side when compared to Intel's massive size. The fact they are EVER able to eclipse performance vs. Intel literally shouldn't be possible. I know we've seen this played out over and over, but the underdog just has that drive to get to the top. If Intel is able to get their foundry business back on a timeline that exceeds what TSMC has to offer, they're going to be in a very strong position. However, I feel like they've spent so much time merely revising existing architectures, that they haven't had iterative generational experience to really move them ahead. You learn through trial and error, not just copy and pasting old ideas.

works for me BUT i have to enable fan control in radeon setting first.

I have an XFX 5700xt and the fan profiles were hot garbage. Literally 0 fan until the card hit like 90*c, then it would spike to 100% rpm which by then my card was scortched. There was also the issue where the fan would take SEVERAL MINUTES to slow down from 100% to 30%. Updated bios from the vendor fixed some of my issues, but I still use afterburner when I'm playing games. You can push these cards pretty hard with powerplay tables. Almost gave me that rush that overclocking did in the 2000s, significant performance gains.

some weird fan control behavior

I suppose this also differs from card to card?

I think the original AMD reference bio design had a lot of fan issues, which filtered down to several vendors either fixing, keeping, or making worse. Over time more vendors released updates to fix the fan profiles, as it was a pretty public snafu. Some of the profiles were so bad I have no clue how it passed QC. I know they are rushing to get these cards out as soon as possible, but god damn, a LOT of people have to be awful at their jobs, or literally not care to let a profile that doesn't turn on the fans till the gpu is approaching 100*c. Some times I feel like AMD has to over engineer their designs to protect the product from the board partners.

I think that the way the address power delivery and balancing clocks and efficiency, has over complicated how they approach a simple take of turning on a fan when it's hot, and off when it's not.

Despite using afterburner to set a fan profile, or sustain a certain rpm, there's a sense of satisfaction when the gpu fans and cpu resevoir block fans kick in together on their own from the factory, or turning off completely to blissful silence. I wonder how many temp sensors they actually try to account for in the fan rpm. Is it just the die temp, or do they literally feed in every part of the board and do some formula to assess fan power and speed. Wouldn't surprise me if that is the case as they have really been dialing the gpu clock frequency/power response to iteratively finer incriments, especially this gen. Most videocards historically continuously ran at their rated speed, given sufficient cooling, indefinitely.

Last edited:
even msi afterburner not work?

Afterburner causes screen to flash black then image then black then image over and over and eventual crash
There is probably a check box I need to check somewhere but I gave up and just rely on Radeon Fan Curve in their software

I ain't pimping shit .. tired of all BS AMD hate

youve posted 4 of your yt videos in this thread alone. almost every time you post you attach one of your yt videos. there is a rule about it.
the hate flows both ways, dont get hung up on it.

I’ve had my 5700XT for 9 months and haven’t ever had an issue with it. I’ve only recently been getting back into reading a lot about tech and was blissfully unaware they were even known for issues until a friend mentioned it to me after months of ownership.

youve posted 4 of your yt videos in this thread alone. almost every time you post you attach one of your yt videos. there is a rule about it.
the hate flows both ways, dont get hung up on it.

if he's not doing it for ad revenue then who cares, watch it or don't, it's your choice.

Pretty much what I did. I regret getting a 5700xt, wish I just spent the extra $100 or so for a 2070 super or even a 2060 super to hold me over till the nvidia 3000s cards come out. I made up my mind and going to get 3070 or up and will not even look at amd this time around. The amount of black screens and random hard crashes the 5700xt has given me was not worth it at all.
Same here. I bought my 5700XT late last year and it's been nothing but problems, so many problems, and I'm not even much of a gamer. Many of my Photoshop plug-ins simply crashed if I enabled GPU acceleration, in fact, I had to disable hardware acceleration on numerous other apps as well (Discord, Firefox, etc..) if I didn't want problems. I finally had enough of tinkering with voltages, clock settings, driver re-installs, etc. trying to get the stupid card to be stable, so I switched over to a 2070 Super, no problems since, I can finally turn on GPU acceleration without wondering when something is going to crash.

Reactions: x509
like this
Same here. I bought my 5700XT late last year and it's been nothing but problems, so many problems, and I'm not even much of a gamer. Many of my Photoshop plug-ins simply crashed if I enabled GPU acceleration, in fact, I had to disable hardware acceleration on numerous other apps as well (Discord, Firefox, etc..) if I didn't want problems. I finally had enough of tinkering with voltages, clock settings, driver re-installs, etc. trying to get the stupid card to be stable, so I switched over to a 2070 Super, no problems since, I can finally turn on GPU acceleration without wondering when something is going to crash.
So when I upgraded my rig about 4 months ago, I went with the AMD 3900X in an ASUS ROG Strix board. So naturally I thought I should get a 5600XT or 5700 GPU card. I was stoked when I read some of the early reviews. But then I started to see all these threads about driver issues, so I decided to stick with my ancient EVGA GTX 660. I'm glad I did. (No I'm not trolling, just breathing a bit of relief.) I'm a heavy Lightroom and Photoshop user.

I feel like the only person who hasn’t had AMD driver issues:

RX570 on 1200P Dell monitor and old Samsung TV

RX590 on old Samsung 720P TV.

RX5700XT on 1440P Gsync monitor (temporary until 2080 system gets its power supply replaces), Samsung Freesync TV, Dell 1200P monitor.

Dozens of games, not one driver issue.

Did Adobe Premier work, no issues.

My issue was power as the RX 5700 ref needed both 12v rails from my Corsair CX 650 M as one line for each connection , then v sync needs to never be on and use Free Sync and not G Sync display ,, also use factory reset

I tried everything I could think of with the 5700xt I had. 2 different pci connectors from my Corsair rmx 850 watt psu. Disable all the anti lag, chill, Ris, freesync. Updated all drivers, tried numerous different gpu drivers. My system would crash all the damn time.
I put a rtx 2060 super in it and not a single issue. I got rid of the 2060 and put a 2080ti in it and not a single issue either. The card was great when it wouldn’t crash. Unfortunately it wasn’t often and I sold it for $300

I feel like the only person who hasn’t had AMD driver issues:

RX570 on 1200P Dell monitor and old Samsung TV

RX590 on old Samsung 720P TV.

RX5700XT on 1440P Gsync monitor (temporary until 2080 system gets its power supply replaces), Samsung Freesync TV, Dell 1200P monitor.

Dozens of games, not one driver issue.

Did Adobe Premier work, no issues.
you are not alone :)
ASRock blower style 5700XT and not one hiccup with it ..running stock and beta drivers .. so I dunno :shy:
I use VSR to run 1440p on my 1080p monitor .. maybe that's why :sneaky:
On an ASRock X570 Steel Legend if that matters any ..

I had the black screen flashing (especially while in the BIOS). Fixed it by changing from a Display Port cable to HDMI. Not a problem since. To note: I'm not a huge gamer at all, but just like having the nice hardware.

I had the black screen flashing (especially while in the BIOS). Fixed it by changing from a Display Port cable to HDMI. Not a problem since. To note: I'm not a huge gamer at all, but just like having the nice hardware.
Maybe I'm being overly critical here, but why should a cable make a difference in this situation? Firmware issues?

Maybe I'm being overly critical here, but why should a cable make a difference in this situation? Firmware issues?

It’s what they call handshake issues with cables. Weirdly they make a huge difference with regards to how your card interacts with a particular device. There should literally be no delineation in a perfect world but unfortunately the quality of cable absolutely matters sometimes.

I had two DP cables fail over time, one would not work even with the 1080 Ti with the 144hz monitor. Weird why DP cables keep failing, these were not cheap cables (Cable Matters and Club3d 8K cables). Never had a HDMI cable fail. Best to have extra cables and if you have an issue, switch it out to rule it out. Shorter the cable the better too for higher refresh rates, HDR, Higher resolutions.

I had two DP cables fail over time, one would not work even with the 1080 Ti with the 144hz monitor. Weird why DP cables keep failing, these were not cheap cables (Cable Matters and Club3d 8K cables). Never had a HDMI cable fail. Best to have extra cables and if you have an issue, switch it out to rule it out. Shorter the cable the better too for higher refresh rates, HDR, Higher resolutions.

I too have had bizarre cable issues. Theoretically it shouldn’t matter since it’s a digital signal but cable handshaking issues are the problem a lot more often than you would think.

I too have had bizarre cable issues. Theoretically it shouldn’t matter since it’s a digital signal but cable handshaking issues are the problem a lot more often than you would think.
And yet you would think that cable issues are tested before drivers or firmware is released. Apparently that is a faulty assumption.

Seems hit or miss. Drivers are much better than they were on release, but some people were still having some issues (mostly minor now, but once in a while...) I'm not one that has had issues, but there are enough people who are to know that it's a real thing. No clue what the cause is, but something in peoples systems don't agree with it for one reason or another. On a better note, there are already reports of 3080 black screens... so that should be fun :). I feel nvidia/AIB's will probably have this fixed rather quickly though, unlike AMD who take a long time to fix these things (if ever in some cases). My worry is the fix is lowering boost clocks ;).

Back