5700 XT for $270 or 5700 for $240?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
My local Micro Center has a Sapphire 5700 XT open box for $270 and an XFX 5700 open box for $240. Both are blower style, and both are mint condition.

This will be paired with a 2700X, hooked up to a 4k projector, but I will do a lot of 1080p gaming as well, to maintain 60 fps. I'll only run 4K on older games, and some emulation.

My thinking is, I can flash the 5700 with the 5700 XT BIOS fairly easily. However, I've read the XT has better VRMs. It's only a $30 difference. Think it's worth $30 for peace of mind?

Thanks!

Just go ahead and spend the 30 bucks more and be done with it. No flashing to worry about and you got that extra performance there. Not sure what you mean by gaming at 1080p to get 60fps though because the 5700 XT will get you 60 FPS or better in nearly all games at 1440p.

I agree, the difference in price is so small. You may as well go with the superior out of the box performance.

Both will be good for 1080p. I'd say $30 is not much so go for the XT (that's what I have in one machine and I've been happy with it).

Flashing is an option but personally I would rather guarantee the better performance and not have to worry about any problems.

I’ll play devils advocate. If the 5700 is plenty for your needs, don’t spend the $30 and gamble on the flash. If it works, awesome, saved $30! If not, oh well, still saved $30.

If you feel like having the non xt will leave you unhappy, than it’s not worth the gamble anymore.

Yeah, I got an XT also a few weeks back, absolutely loving it. I run the mem at 900 and the core floats between 2030-2050 in game with a little tweaking at 67*c.

Too bad these could have been $300 cards had Nvidia not fucked the market with RTX tax. Still, it's a shitload of card for current gen games. (remember they are essentially designing these titles around more than a half decade old console hardware.)

I don't need those temptations! Glad there is no Micro Center around where I live. :D

Back