56k Modem with Startech Serial Port/IP Converter

I've used these Startech four port serial port converters serveral times with vmware for other projects howerver I'm really having an issue getting a USR 56k modem to work this way. I've got the serial port the modem is connected to installed on the virtual machine as COM8.

Has anyone got this going successfully? Any tips?

Generally it actually just works... serial card showing up fine? What's the exact serial port device and what version of ESX?

There is no serial card installed in the server and it's running Vsphere 4. The serial port device is a serial to Ethernet device Startech netrs232 4. The device comes with software that you install on the VM that makes a port on the Startech device look like just a local COM port. The OS isn't supposed to know any better and it works great for everything I tried except for this 56k modem.

On a side note, I gave up on trying to get this to work. We have a Dell R310 that runs vsphere and is not in a cluster or anything like that. I used the built in COM port on the R310 and connected the modem to it. It works fine this way. However, I'd still like to know if anyone has gotten a 56k modem to work using one of these serial to IP devices. Brands such as Digi, Startech and etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
On a side note, I gave up on trying to get this to work. We have a Dell R310 that runs vsphere and is not in a cluster or anything like that. I used the built in COM port on the R310 and connected the modem to it. It works fine this way. However, I'd still like to know if anyone has gotten a 56k modem to work using one of these serial to IP devices. Brands such as Digi, Startech and etc.

Currently we have a virtualized (HyperV) Faxserver using ALTN RelayFax connected to an ES-257 which in turn connects to an External US Robotics 56K Faxmodem.

No problems with loading software in the guest OS and no problems with sending/receiving on the faxmodem.

I did this with a few modems used for fax apps. I had a digi switch, however. I always disable all the COM ports etc in the virtual machine BIOS regardless, but especially for this purpose because the software for the digi would start at COM 3. Digi's realport made it work seamlessly with a lot of devices outside of modems too.

Have you tried the modem on a real PC? Different modem? Modem direct to a PC? DIP switches? Serial port speed? Too many variables, but you are right it should just work.

My guess is that startech missed out some of the handshake lines.

I get the impression that startech are not a top quality brand.

Back