5600x Upgrade Woes

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Bought a 5600x to hold me over for a year or so. System in sig. This thing is unbelievably unstable - the instant I click the test button in Prime95 my system turns off. Ive tried disabling auto overclock, disabling performance boost, running my memory at the slowest/crappiest speeds/settings to rule that out, undervolt, overvolt, underclock. I have auto overclock turned off right now along with performance boost and I can see the cores still spiking to 4600mhz or so?

Ive never gotten a bad CPU in my life so its hard for me to believe Ive got a bad one on my hands. I got it off Amazon so Im thinking about swapping it out.

Any suggestions here? Something I could be missing? I have a large air cooler - temps with my overclocked 2600 were around 55c, 60c max.

Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways - did you update the motherboard BIOS? Did you update the AMD chipset driver?

Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways - did you update the motherboard BIOS? Did you update the AMD chipset driver?
Yes, both. Ive tried a few different bios versions too.

Nope... Won't even boot into windows.

Either this processor is jank or it hates my ram.

Nope... Won't even boot into windows.

Either this processor is jank or it hates my ram.
try reseating the chip and put pressure in the middle of it as you lock it down. have you done a good cmos clearing yet?
could be a bum chip i guess. my 2600 to 5600x was just a simple drop in, minus redoing the cmos.

try reseating the chip and put pressure in the middle of it as you lock it down. have you done a good cmos clearing yet?
could be a bum chip i guess. my 2600 to 5600x was just a simple drop in, minus redoing the cmos.
Nope... reseated the cpu, cooler, ram, power connections, cleared CMOS.

Small FFTs in Prime 95 was stable for ten minutes. Large FFTs crashed/turned off instantly even with the other ram.

id reflash to the newest bios on just the one stick. after flashing; shutdown, yank the power and battery, and hit the power button a few times. let it sit for a few minutes and then put it all back together. power up and load default bios settings. see if it will run.
the instant off still makes me suspect some type of power or cabling issue

id reflash to the newest bios on just the one stick. after flashing; shutdown, yank the power and battery, and hit the power button a few times. let it sit for a few minutes and then put it all back together. power up and load default bios settings. see if it will run.
the instant off still makes me suspect some type of power or cabling issue
If it was power, I feel like Prime 95 is much less prone to crash then gaming for a few hours where my graphics card is going full blast with my old Ryzen 5 2600.

I think I'll put this processor in my other computer and test it with the other power supply and motherboard.

If it was power, I feel like Prime 95 is much less prone to crash then gaming for a few hours where my graphics card is going full blast with my old Ryzen 5 2600.

I think I'll put this processor in my other computer and test it with the other power supply and motherboard.
or cabling issue
dont forget that part, check the aux cables are in tight and if you have 2 x4 both are connected.

dont forget that part, check the aux cables are in tight and if you have 2 x4 both are connected.
Motherboard only has one x4.

I'll swap the stuff into my other system next week when I've got time to see if it's stable.

I've had bad CPU's, although they are not common. If this one is returnable, just return it, no need to keep banging your head against the wall. The 5600X is not intrinsically unstable.

I've had bad CPU's, although they are not common. If this one is returnable, just return it, no need to keep banging your head against the wall. The 5600X is not intrinsically unstable.
Just initiated an exchange with Amazon. If its got the same problems after the swap then Ill prob feel like a douche.

Swap ram sticks too. Typically 5xxxx series work better with ram. Then find some different ram. So on and so forth. Could be a dank CPU, but that seems rare.

Swap ram sticks too. Typically 5xxxx series work better with ram. Then find some different ram. So on and so forth. Could be a dank CPU, but that seems rare.
I swapped with some other ram Ive got and it does the same thing.

Just curios if you were able to see any temps before the system shuts off. Sounds like the CPU is hitting it's thermal limit and shutting down the system.

Just curios if you were able to see any temps before the system shuts off. Sounds like the CPU is hitting it's thermal limit and shutting down the system.
Shuts off instantly, but temps are like 42c right now. Would get up around 55-60 under load with one stick of ram semi-stable.

Well... shutting off is even more sporadic with the replacement processor.

The hell is going on.

Testing everything in my other computer tomorrow.

1 install 1 stick and enable xmp profile. It should boot

2 disable xmp and install both sticks. It should boot now

3 enable xmp once both sticks work at stock. Hopefully now it works

1 install 1 stick and enable xmp profile. It should boot

2 disable xmp and install both sticks. It should boot now

3 enable xmp once both sticks work at stock. Hopefully now it works

Second processor won't even fully boot with both sticks installed and XMP enabled. It shuts off at the Windows loading screen.

Strange. Do you still have the 2600? Maybe drop it back in to confirm that it is or isn't stable? If the 2600 works, either you got 2 dud CPU's or I'd try the BIOS reset again (AC unplugged and battery out, first). I have cured a couple errant Pro4's with a full zero-power reset.

Strange. Do you still have the 2600? Maybe drop it back in to confirm that it is or isn't stable? If the 2600 works, either you got 2 dud CPU's or I'd try the BIOS reset again (AC unplugged and battery out, first). I have cured a couple errant Pro4's with a full zero-power reset.
I had the battery out for like an hour this last CPU swap because I got distracted and had to do something else.

Im going to test everything in my other computer today.

Is this the B450M HDV? Because that board is basically known for shutting down under load, the VRM is extremely sub-optimal and hits its temp limit really fast. You can find dozens and dozens of threads about it on reddit (ew) and other places when people upgraded from 2xxx and 3xxx chips and it started doing what you're describing.

Is this the B450M HDV? Because that board is basically known for shutting down under load, the VRM is extremely sub-optimal and hits its temp limit really fast. You can find dozens and dozens of threads about it on reddit (ew) and other places when people upgraded from 2xxx and 3xxx chips and it started doing what you're describing.
Yes.... B450M HDV R4.0

Guess Im buying a new motherboard.

The motherboard is of lower quality, but how much does that 5600x pull? Shouldn't it be less power hungry than the 2600x?
Or is there a problem with vrm loading the ram, i.e. vrm overheating?

I have a ryzen 2700x overclock, it pulls a lot, up to 120w, but it almost never happened to me that it shuts down the computer in the game, the motherboard is b450m steel legend, still somewhat better than yours.

It's a strange problem, but it's partly the fault of AMD with its (poor quality)motherboards and support for all CPU

Maybe try improved cooling in the case, the latest bios or maybe an older one where support for 5600x has been added.
I myself know how many problems AMD processors and motherboards and ram can cause.
A new, better motherboard would be nice, but it should work with 5600x if 2600x works without problems.
Maybe not at max boost but you shouldn't shut down the computer.
Try to play with the memory and settings, set it to auto and not to xmp.

Maybe try improved cooling in the case, the latest bios or maybe an older one where support for 5600x has been added.
I myself know how many problems AMD processors and motherboards and ram can cause.
A new, better motherboard would be nice, but it should work with 5600x if 2600x works without problems.
Maybe not at max boost but you shouldn't shut down the computer.
Try to play with the memory and settings, set it to auto and not to xmp.

Its the board, you'd have to shut off all boost. The VRM just can't handle the spikes, its a 4-phase with no cooling.

It looks like this, as basic as basic can get.

rev4.jpg

Back