5600X $153 on amazon (all 5xxx chips on sale)

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
anyone on AM4 need an upgrade?
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5600X-12-Thread-Processor/dp/B08166SLDF

1682894210450.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this a pretty solid upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600? I was thinking I wanted to go Ryzen 7 but thats a pretty decent price.
other than the 5800x3d its the best bang for buck gaming chip on amd's side. i went 2600 to 5600x and it was a good bump in perf.
this will give you and idea, RDR2 is the "worst" improvement but its minimums come waaay up.

Is this a pretty solid upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600? I was thinking I wanted to go Ryzen 7 but thats a pretty decent price.
if you feel you don't need 16 threads or more right now then hell yes. i went from the 3600x to 5900x and the difference was night and day especially with single threaded applications.

Just purchased.
enjoy and if 5900 or 5950x prices continue to drop then you'll have another upgrade option if you end up needing the thread count. honestly don't see a need to drop am4 any time soon unless you do a lot of multi-threaded production workloads.

Yes. IPC uplift from 1*** and 2*** is noteworthy.

Last fall I paid $200 for a 5700X which has 8 cores 16 threads, so if you can a similar deal that is an option.

I'm tempted by this as an upgrade to my 3600X. I'm also tempted by a 5800X3D. I'm also tempted to upgrade to AM5 and a 7800X3D. Decisions decisions decisions. Then again, I game more on my deck than I do my desktop.....

I'm tempted by this as an upgrade to my 3600X. I'm also tempted by a 5800X3D. I'm also tempted to upgrade to AM5 and a 7800X3D. Decisions decisions decisions. Then again, I game more on my deck than I do my desktop.....
unless you need esports level frame rates or you play FS2020 i'd say use the money toward a 5900x or 5950x. 5k series cpu's are so damn fast that unless you absolutely need the bleeding edge performance they and 12th gen intel are perfectly fine for a while. ddr5 just doesn't bring anything to the table right now to be worth the headache.

5600X is an awesome CPU. I have one in my sons system, and it rips just fine. Boost override is set to 4850 and it will pin each core/thread.. cant say that about my 5900X :D

And it is super easy to cool.. also cant say that about my 5900X :D

just noticed all the 5XXX chips are on sale; the 5700x is only $192, 5800x $240, and the 5800x3d and 5900x are both $327.

Wow that’s crazy.

I think I paid 450 CAD for my 5600X at launch, and 806CAD for my 5900X.. my X3D was about 600 CAD I think..

You guys always get the good deals :D

Trust me, the 5600x can run 4.6Ghz all core work load.
It can run 4850 all core :)

It is probably my favorite out of my Zen3 parts :D

It runs cool, and it runs to its limit no problem, just gotta feed it all the PPT TDC and EDC the socket will give it.. seriously.

Or I could just set x47 and let er rip.

Or I could just set x47 and let er rip.
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

Might pick up a 5600X to replace my son's 2600 in his desktop. I'm still running a 2700X too, and would really prefer to replace it with a 5800X3D so I'm set with the best (for gaming) AM4 CPU for a while. I would prefer to stay at $250 or so for my CPU though like I've done the past couple upgrades. I have pretty much exclusively been playing on consoles the past few years though, so not sure I really care about my desktop at the moment either. But my son pretty much only plays on PC so he could def use an upgrade soon, esp. for his RX 570 8GB that has decided to get excessively loud randomly even after I repasted it (guessing some fan profile in Adrenaline, but haven't looked thoroughly yet).

Got one at Microcenter two weeks ago along with an ASUS B450 board for $200 total. Can't beat it for the price.

The price is insanely good... If I hadn't bought my 2 foldable work table/sawhorse and jawhorse, I would have bought a 5xxx cpu to replace my 3600x....maybe next week :)

If only GPUs weren't stupidly priced, it'd be a great time to be a budget gamer.

AMD gpu's are relatively "cheap" these days but the prices have kinda leveled off due the idiotic decisions nvidia has made with labeling the 40 series cards.. if the 4070 was actually the 4060ti and the 4070ti was the 4070 like it should of been you likely would of seen the 6800/XT drop well below 400 dollars but right now there's just no incentive to do it since the 6800/XT cards are very close to the 4070.

AMD gpu's are relatively "cheap" these days but the prices have kinda leveled off due the idiotic decisions nvidia has made with labeling the 40 series cards.. if the 4070 was actually the 4060ti and the 4070ti was the 4070 like it should of been you likely would of seen the 6800/XT drop well below 400 dollars but right now there's just no incentive to do it since the 6800/XT cards are very close to the 4070.

That's a good observation... It felt like prices were dropping.. and then poof.. they hit a standstill...

Well I bit. I was tempted to go with a 5800X3D but I'm strongly considering a new build and that is more than I want to pay for a stopgap.

IMO 5900x non 3D for threads and cores, budget gaming get the 5600(non X) and just O/C with PBO and increase the max OC by 200MHZ or 5800X3d if you have a bit more cash and was mostly looking for gaming.

IMO 5900x non 3D for threads and cores, budget gaming get the 5600(non X) and just O/C with PBO and increase the max OC by 200MHZ or 5800X3d if you have a bit more cash and was mostly looking for gaming.
I ended up just going with the 5600X. I'm really only gaming, and while that made the 5800X3d tempting I didn't want to sink that much more into AM4 when I'm already contemplating a whole new build.

Also I ended up with two of them. My neighborhood doesn't have individual mailboxes. Instead each street has one unit with a bunch of individual locking mailboxes. There are also parcel lockers so that if you get a package they just put it in the locker and leave the key in your mailbox. However USPS constantly screws that up and puts the wrong key in your mailbox. So sure enough I end up with someone else's order. I walk it over to them but they don't have my package. So I contact Amazon, they are confused and try to tell me to wait for USPS to deliver it because they think USPS just accidentally marked my order as delivered. Eventually they relent and process a replacement order. Of course a few hours after that a neighbor shows up with my package.

I guess the ethical thing to do would be to return one of them to Amazon. It pisses me off that they want me to drive almost 20 minutes to the Whole Foods in another city to send it back though.

I ended up just going with the 5600X. I'm really only gaming, and while that made the 5800X3d tempting I didn't want to sink that much more into AM4 when I'm already contemplating a whole new build.

Also I ended up with two of them. My neighborhood doesn't have individual mailboxes. Instead each street has one unit with a bunch of individual locking mailboxes. There are also parcel lockers so that if you get a package they just put it in the locker and leave the key in your mailbox. However USPS constantly screws that up and puts the wrong key in your mailbox. So sure enough I end up with someone else's order. I walk it over to them but they don't have my package. So I contact Amazon, they are confused and try to tell me to wait for USPS to deliver it because they think USPS just accidentally marked my order as delivered. Eventually they relent and process a replacement order. Of course a few hours after that a neighbor shows up with my package.

I guess the ethical thing to do would be to return one of them to Amazon. It pisses me off that they want me to drive almost 20 minutes to the Whole Foods in another city to send it back though.
You can drop Amazon returns to the UPS store or also to Amazon "drop boxes" - I have quite a few drop boxes in my city.

You can drop Amazon returns to the UPS store or also to Amazon "drop boxes" - I have quite a few drop boxes in my city.
I have had that option in the past. Not this time though. Not that it really matters as the UPS store isn't really any closer.

just contact them and ask them. they might give you a return label, contact USPS and ask them to have your driver pick up the package from you. people think it's a business only option but any customer can ask for it if your local station has it as an option. you can also contact your local station and tell them you'll be receiving a package with X tracking number and ask them to return it instead. but ask amazon first before doing that since it'll just get lost in all their returns.

Edit: 5600x has been a nightmare. My system turns off once I get any kind of load on it. Ive messed around with memory settings as well as PBO/Auto overclock stuff on my motherboard.

I graduated a long time ago from wanting to tweak every ounce of juice out of my system. Back in the day I feel like it made a big difference but eventually I came to the realization that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze. My last few systems I tweaked a couple small things for 20-30 minutes to get a few hundred extra mhz out of it and thats it.

Going on hour 4-5 of trying to get this system stable at all.

Last edited:
Edit: 5600x has been a nightmare. My system turns off once I get any kind of load on it. Ive messed around with memory settings as well as PBO/Auto overclock stuff on my motherboard.

I graduated a long time ago from wanting to tweak every ounce of juice out of my system. Back in the day I feel like it made a big difference but eventually I came to the realization that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze. My last few systems I tweaked a couple small things for 20-30 minutes to get a few hundred extra mhz out of it and thats it.

Going on hour 4-5 of trying to get this system stable at all.
That sounds more like power supply or possibly a BIOS update is needed. When my son put his system together he had an issue that when he started playing certain games the system would power down out of the blue. It was almost always reproducible with Elden Ring. One possibility was the PSU but it was a good PSU, quite new and hadn't had any issues before. However, the MSI x570 Tomahawk board had come with a really old BIOS and once updated there were no problems whatsoever.

That sounds more like power supply or possibly a BIOS update is needed. When my son put his system together he had an issue that when he started playing certain games the system would power down out of the blue. It was almost always reproducible with Elden Ring. One possibility was the PSU but it was a good PSU, quite new and hadn't had any issues before. However, the MSI x570 Tomahawk board had come with a really old BIOS and once updated there were no problems whatsoever.
I updated my bios before I swapped the processor.

I had a solid system before swapping the processor. I did some googling and others have experienced this also.

I may go back a few bios versions and see what happens.

I updated my bios before I swapped the processor.

I had a solid system before swapping the processor. I did some googling and others have experienced this also.

I may go back a few bios versions and see what happens.
No issue flashing an early MSI x470 Gaming Plus for 5700x, I have heard it wasn't a thing ASRock was good at.

No issue flashing an early MSI x470 Gaming Plus for 5700x, I have heard it wasn't a thing ASRock was good at.

-_-

I've spent like 8 hours trying to fix this trash. I could've worked overtime and just built a new computer at this point.

I'm about to test with some ram from another Ryzen 5 2600 computer I've got and then I'm going to swap the processor with Amazon if that doesn't fix it.

Back