560 Ti vs 6950 Aghrrh

My 4870 was overclocked a good bit, but yes i HAD ZERO trouble running most games at MAX settings. Sure some of the new breed of games prolly would have to turn off AA and maybe lower a setting here or there.

Anyone yells driver problems, and state that AMD has crap drivers, your are automatically a Nvidia Fan boy. No side is perfect, and i can name some games which NVIDIA has driver problems, cough dragon age 2 cough. OH MY what is this? the green team has a driver issue quick dash into your doomsday cave.

now if you want to buy a video card due to its 1680x1050 performance, when 1080P+ performance is where you want to look for longevity.

I'm done arguing with you folks, I don't care to mow though anymore BS. Buy what ever card you want. I'm telling you right now a 6950 is a better card than that 560ti. Believe what you want. Post up all your links to external sites, but the forums your posting on are the ones of [H] OCP. In there reviews it CLEARLY shows the 6950 to beat the 560ti.

Maybe we have different taste of maxed, but wow, why you so mad? calling me a fanboy for what i was just sharing my personal experiences, review does give you ideas but far from telling the whole story especially when its done on 5 - 10 uber titles every site covers. As for the fanboy calling, grow up.

Yeah im going to order a 560 ti later today, thanks for the information lads.

You can see in my comparison that I was using 4x or 8x AA where possible. The canucks review shows the 560 being faster than the 6950 even when AA is used in 5 out of 7 games. But the other 2 games shouldn't count since they're AvP and F1 - two notoriously AMD biased games :p.

Not sure what your looking at I count 7 games at 1680x1050 @ 4xAA and they show the GTX 560 Ti is faster in 4 of the 7

BFBC2 Heavy nvidia bias game
Dirt 2 (Neutral Synthetic canned bench maybe why?)
Just Cause 2 (TWIMTBP nvidia bias game)
Lost Planet 2 (Heavy nvidia bias game)

In that same review the 6950 wins

Aliens vs Predator (Neutral)
F1 2010 (Heavy AMD bias game)
Metro 2033 (Neutral)

**Also 6950 wins **

3d Mark 2011 in both performance and extreme settings
Unigen @ 1680x1050 tessellation off and it's a tie when tessellation is on

Let's also not forget that once you go to a higher resolution with at least 4x AA it's a clean slate win for 6950 across the board pretty much.

Even the games the 560 wins here the 6950 would probably win at 1680x1050 if they used 8x AA. Believe it or not they probably could at such a low resolution.

Again your probably the only person comfortable enough to say the GTX 560 Ti is faster than the 6950 but if that helps you sleep at night then I aint mad at ya ;)

Anyone yells driver problems, and state that AMD has crap drivers, your are automatically a Nvidia Fan boy. No side is perfect, and i can name some games which NVIDIA has driver problems, cough dragon age 2 cough. OH MY what is this? the green team has a driver issue quick dash into your doomsday cave.

I think AMDs driver problems are a bit overblown BUT the company I work at has ceased ordering systems with AMD cards because of the driver issues we've experienced. It's now onboard Intel for dual monitor users and Nvidia cards if a third monitor is required.

NSXSpecial said:
Calling out Bankie as a NV fanboy. His results contrast all of the data collected by H and all the other sites.

All other sites?

And did you not notice that I have a 6950? Damn me for actually using both of the cards that are being discussed and giving my experience with them both. :rolleyes:

If you get your hands on a 560 ti that does 950-1000MHz you'll be looking @ around stock 570 performance in many titles. If you want to run those clocks I'd look at a card with a custom cooler. It's not a must and it would do better with both heat and noise.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_560_ti_overclocking_guide,5.html

The 6950 and 560 are both good cards. I'd spring for the 6950 2Gb if I thought I might be moving to surround gaming in the future. People content with 1920x1200 will do perfectly fine with a 560. In that case, I'd say buy what you find most appealing.

6950 2GB = GTX 580 performance when overclocked, GTX 560 Ti = GTX 570 performance when overclocked. Why is this still being discussed? Because one guy has no clue about setting up hardware? Move on people.

6950 2GB = GTX 580 performance when overclocked, GTX 560 Ti = GTX 570 performance when overclocked. Why is this still being discussed? Because one guy has no clue about setting up hardware? Move on people.

Fucking truth.
6950 unlocks, and overclocks. 560 just overclocks. Both are great cards but I really dont see why you would get the 560 over the 6950 less money was the issue.
Performance wise its pretty clear cut which is faster (6950 Stock & OC)

6950 2GB = GTX 580 performance when overclocked, GTX 560 Ti = GTX 570 performance when overclocked

I'd go a little further

6950 2gb = GTX 580 performance when unlocked/overclocked with the less power draw and better temps than a GTX 580, whereas a GTX 560 Ti can be overclocked to reach GTX 570 performance with more power draw than a GTX 570.

I'd go a little further

6950 2gb = GTX 580 performance when unlocked/overclocked with the less power draw and better temps than a GTX 580, whereas a GTX 560 Ti can be overclocked to reach GTX 570 performance with more power draw than a GTX 570.

Disagree. Depending on your resolution, the 580 is 10-15% faster than the 6970 from 1680 to 2560, which I'd say is a significant advantage. It certainly doesn't explain a $150 price difference, but they're not equal.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6670/27.html

EDIT: Or, to be more direct, here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6970_Lightning/26.html

At 975/1510, or 194GB of bandwidth :eek: :cool:, it beats the 580 in what seems to be a slightly AMD favored title. Otherwise still probably within 10%, especially at high resolutions, where it gets even closer if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
What I'm wondering is if the MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr III PE would accept the BIOS from the MSI R6970 Lightning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7581&cm_re=hd_6970_msi-_-14-127-581-_-Product

I'm not sure it could deal with the core clock and it would be awesome if could. I suppose you could use it to unlock the shaders in any case, just edit the core speed down.

The Lightning is 12% slower on average vs a stock 580 @ 1920x according to TPU. It beats the 570 and the 570 will OC too.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6970_Lightning/23.html

TPU showed a GTX 560 ti @ 950 on the core as 6% slower than a stock 570 or 8% slower than a 6970 Lightning at the same res on average.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_Amp_Edition/23.html

Last edited:
Well the MSI cards are not referance, aparantly you can sometimes unlock the shaders on them its all down to chance though, Ive seen people kill there cards by flashing them MSI 6950's simply, You cannot flash them atall.

Even with flashing a referance 6950 you risk burning the memory.

Disagree. Depending on your resolution, the 580 is 10-15% faster than the 6970 from 1680 to 2560, which I'd say is a significant advantage. It certainly doesn't explain a $150 price difference, but they're not equal.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6670/27.html

EDIT: Or, to be more direct, here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6970_Lightning/26.html

At 975/1510, or 194GB of bandwidth :eek: :cool:, it beats the 580 in what seems to be a slightly AMD favored title. Otherwise still probably within 10%, especially at high resolutions, where it gets even closer if that wasn't clear.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036872284&postcount=9
Well the MSI cards are not referance, aparantly you can sometimes unlock the shaders on them its all down to chance though, Ive seen people kill there cards by flashing them MSI 6950's simply, You cannot flash them atall.

That's true, many non-reference cards cannot be flashed. However, harming the memory stems from flashing a 6950 with a 6970 BIOS, if you simply unlock the shaders in your 6950 you won't touch the memory. This is now the preferred method to flash a 6950.

You will not harm your card if you use this method: http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/923129-hd-6950-810-1250-mhz-shader.html

There are other methods out there, but this will unlock the shaders only, give a bump to the VCore and then use SmartDoctor to give you control over the CCC. It does nothing to the memory, which is where cards got damaged.
You can easily OC the memory on an MSI reference card to 1375.

This article talks about unlocking a non-reference MSI Frozr model: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html
This article consists of slides and a BIOS that come directly from MSI, they got some very imperssive OC results, take a look at the slide presentation.
Shows you CAN unlock a non-reference card.;)

Last edited:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036872284&postcount=9

That's true, many non-reference cards cannot be flashed. However, harming the memory stems from flashing a 6950 with a 6970 BIOS, if you simply unlock the shaders in your 6950 you won't touch the memory. This is now the preferred method to flash a 6950.

Actually yes they can using Wizzards shader unlocking script or Radeon Bios Editor. There is no good reason to use any other method to unlock a 6950, including a reference model. Either method should work with any 6950, reference, 1GB, it doesn't matter.

I'd go a little further

I love my 6950s but unless you are just overclocking the piss out of out of a 6950 with a ton of core voltage that will make it run hot and louder than a GTX480 it is by no means faster than a GTX580. Even with a heavy overclock on a cherry card I have my doubts that on average it will match a GTX580.

Last edited:
Yeah im going to order a 560 ti later today, thanks for the information lads.

Not to throw a wrench in to the mix, but if you are going to go with a new monitor in the future chances are it will be 1920x1080 or greater. You might want to consider the likelihood of a monitor upgrade in relation to your GPU choice.
I would agree. The only reason to go with the 560 is for money or space reasons, i.e. the 6950 is longer than the 560.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a 560 Ti get P6100 in 3DMark11, and that's assuming 3DMark11 is neutral. Not saying it can't happen, just that it probably takes some pretty creative cooling. :)

I never said it would be faster I said it'll have GTX 580 performance with the power draw and temp of a GTX 580 whereas a GTX 560 Ti overclocked to the max will have GTX 570 performance at with MORE power draw and noise than a GTX 570. Either of my 6950s when they are overclocked to my sig speed or my usual 24/7 speed are on par with a GTX 580 and probably more so in surround gaming with the IQ settings I use.

I love my 6950s but unless you are just overclocking the piss out of out of a 6950 with a ton of core voltage that will make it run hot and louder than a GTX480 it is by no means faster than a GTX580. Even with a heavy overclock on a cherry card I have my doubts that on average it will match a GTX580.

I never said faster than GTX 580 in that quote and keep in mind I'm talking about a stock GTX 580 vs a unlocked and heavily overclocked 6950. I did this comparison to emphasize how much better of a value a 6950 2gb is over a GTX 560 Ti. Although a good card the most you can get is GTX 570 performance with more power draw and noise. vs a 6950 which can give you a unlocked 1536 sp monster that can trade blow with a GTX 580 let alone a GTX 570. BTW I'm not sure why your cards are running hot over volted, my cards run 24/7 @ 2.95v and idle in the 40s full load no more than 85 degrees with a moderately aggressive fan profile.

I never said faster than GTX 580 in that quote and keep in mind I'm talking about a stock GTX 580 vs a unlocked and heavily overclocked 6950. I did this comparison to emphasize how much better of a value a 6950 2gb is over a GTX 560 Ti. Although a good card the most you can get is GTX 570 performance with more power draw and noise. vs a 6950 which can give you a unlocked 1536 sp monster that can trade blow with a GTX 580 let alone a GTX 570. BTW I'm not sure why your cards are running hot over volted, my cards run 24/7 @ 2.95v and idle in the 40s full load no more than 85 degrees with a moderately aggressive fan profile.

I fully agree.

At this point, you can buy a 6950 for very cheap, especially compared to the 570 and 580 prices, even with the Galaxy price drops.

With a little work the 6950 can easily equal the 580 AND has more memory.

I have triple Crossfire at a cost of 1.5 GTX 580 1.5GB models and the performance is better than when I had GTX 580 SLi,in every game I play, using EyeFinity.:D

6950 2GB FTW

havent felt as good about a GPU purchase since my 6800GT back in the day.

I think a lot of it depends on the games you play, I went with the 560 Ti and am happy with it. I upgraded from a 4870 (1gb) and was worried about running out of vram, but I mostly just game WoW so I figured I'd be ok. Interestingly, EVGA has some software that lets you see the GPU stats (gpu %, mem, temps) while gaming, so I ran a few tests and came up with these numbers:

1920 x 1080 res, 4 x aa, 16 x af

Sitting in SW at peak times = 30-35 fps (similar to my 4870 numbers)
gpu @ 20-35%, memory used @ 400-500, cpu @ 40-60%

Sitting in Org at peak times = 22-35 fps (similar to my 4870 numbers)
gpu @ 30-40%, memory used @ 500-550, cpu @ 50-70%

Flying around Twilight Highlands = 39-65 fps (my 4870 was getting about 30-50 fps)
gpu @ 50-75%, memory used @ 550-600, cpu @ 85%+

Hovering over Elywnn forest = 50-60 fps (my 4870 was dipping down to 20-35 fps)
gpu @ 90-99%, memory used @ 500-550, cpu @ 30-50%

I know WoW is a different animal but I think the end result is the only thing in a game like that pushing this card appears to be all the trees in Elwynn. The rest of the frame loss I can only attribute to server lag since neither the gpu or cpu max out.

As far as temps go, I sat in Elwynn for a while to let the heat build up and my card topped out @ 80* C, which is exactly what my 4870 would top out at before I installed the Shaman cooler. Installing the cooler cut 30+ * off my temps, so I'm looking to do the same with the 560 Ti. Nice thing is I contacted EVGA and they said my card will still be covered under warranty if I use an aftermarket cooler so long as I don't physically damage the card, I'd just have to put the stock cooler back on before sending it back if something happened. So for what I do, at an out of pocket cost of $210, I think the 560 Ti was a good deal.

As I said I was initially worried about running out of vram, but it looks like I'll be ok for a while with 1gb. I don't really play any newer games and haven't run canned benchmarks so I can't give you guys comparisons on newer material, sorry.

*edit: I should note that I have not OC'd my card at all and with these numbers I don't see any reason to for now. The only time my gpu gets pegged I still get 50+ fps so it doesn't seem like an OC would do much good. Maybe once Skyrim comes out, but who knows since that's being designed to work with consoles so it probably won't be that demanding anyway.

You do realize that the unlocking usually results in less than 5% improvement in performance. 6950 does clock very well but from what I hear so does GTX560ti. You would need at least a 20% overclock after unlocking the shaders to come close to the performance of a GTX580 and even then I doubt that they would trade blows as you put it, maybe in some games but not on average.

You claim that your card isn't hot and loud. What fan speed does that card have to hit to stay under 85c which is still a little hotter than I like to run my cards while overclocked and overvolted? I bet that your card has to go over 60% fan speed especially on hotter days. I know for a fact that is loud.

You do realize that the unlocking usually results in less than 5% improvement in performance. 6950 does clock very well but from what I hear so does GTX560ti. You would need at least a 20% overclock after unlocking the shaders to come close to the performance of a GTX580 and even then I doubt that they would trade blows as you put it, maybe in some games but not on average.

You claim that your card isn't hot and loud. What fan speed does that card have to hit to stay under 85c which is still a little hotter than I like to run my cards while overclocked and overvolted? I bet that your card has to go over 60% fan speed especially on hotter days. I know for a fact that is loud.
Since you keep neglecting to read the link I posted, I'll post it again in bigger font: Read This

"I doubt that they would trade blows as you put it, maybe in some games but not on average."

And you listed 2 games...,

"I doubt that they would trade blows as you put it, maybe in some games but not on average."

And you listed 2 games...,

Off the top of my head I can think of two games where my old gtx280 outperforms my 6950. NWN2 and Serious Sam 2. See, I can cherry pick benchmarks too.

Here is the MSI 6970 Lightning performance summary at TPU. This card is clocked at 940mhz. On average the GTX580 is still 12% faster according to the performance summary. No one is going to run their 6950 at at 12% higher clock speed than 940mhz.

Secondly for every Crysis or Metro where the two perform about the same there is a Civ V or Starcraft 2 where the GTX580 walks all over an overclocked 6970.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I can think of two games where my old gtx280 outperforms my 6950. NWN2 and Serious Sam 2. See, I can cherry pick benchmarks too.
You also like to nit-pick variables to twist an argument. What exactly are you trying to prove here or are you just wasting everyone's time?

You also like to nit-pick variables to twist an argument. What exactly are you trying to prove here or are you just wasting everyone's time?

I could accuse you of the same. You also missed or edited out the actual point of both of those posts.

What you have no argument so you basically just call someone a troll?

Yes I'm aware the unlocking gives you 5% boost with only the extra shaders and 6950 clocks. Boosting to 6970 clocks gives you another 5% though. Overclocking much further gives you the boost I'm talking about... That's why I said overclocking on top of the unlocking. Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but from the real world game testing reviews I've read the GTX 580 is on average about 15% faster than a 6970. At least for the resolutions you would buy such a card for (2560x1600 or greater) The higher the resolution the more that becomes the case, up to the point where they are neck and neck (surround with moderate to high IQ where I game at). I believe only at 1920 or below it could be slightly more than 15% faster on average. Keep in mind I'm saying on average, so it being 25-30% faster in a totally nvidia bias game doesn't count but does factor into that average. Now going from 860 core 1375 mem to 965core 1425 mem could give you enough of a boost to trade blows with a GTX 580 as I mentioned it is usually only 15% faster average. Trade blows means wins some loses some so as you can see this can easily be the case. Not a bad proposition for a $230 graphics card. Same card in a surround scenario looks much better against a GTX 580 being only 10% slower until memory bottlenecks give it a win over the 1.5GB version.

My cards only use a 50% fan setting through the amd overdrive setting. I used to use afterburner for my fan profile and would manage the noise alot better as it would be much more relaxed when it was idle, however since there is no way to force +20 on AMD Powertune when in crossfire like was available shortly with the 11.4 preview drivers in the new drivers I had to use overdrive to do all of my overclocking and fan setting. Unfortunately Afterburner is only used to monitor my card during games using the osd when I need it.

I do not find my cards fans that loud at 50% I do however find the fans loud at around 60 or 65% which I have tried before but find unnecessary for my settings and the cards running temps. My mobo has them spaced far apart and I have excellent airflow. It's a antec 902 case with default fan settings and my side panel fan is modified to be outside of the case as my Coolermaster Hyper 212 + is too tall for it to be in the case like it used to be.

Last edited:
I could accuse you of the same. You also missed or edited out the actual point of both of those posts.

What you have no argument so you basically just call someone a troll?
I reply to what's there. If you keep editing your posts afterwards, that's not my problem.

In this thread we discussed a 6950 2GB vs. a GTX 560 Ti. After it was soundly concluded that a 6950 2GB is a much better buy, we're now arguing about a 6950 2GB vs. a GTX 580, which is amazing in itself considering it's a comparison of a $220 graphics card vs. a $430 one. As Lord_Exodia posted above, and overclocked and unlocked 6950 trades blows with a stock GTX 580, even though it's half the price. You're never going to see a card always be faster than a competitor's all the time unless they're very far apart on the performance scale. This is due to the differences in architectures and the dependence on drivers in this day and age, and anyone who's been in hardware more than a week knows this.

I think the argument is just that. It depends on what you are trying to prove.

I've had both sets of GPUs in SLi and Crossfire.

Hands down value winner is the 6950, period the end.
Performance, well TriCrossfired 6950 will equal SLi GTX 580, and be cheaper; especially at the initial price i paid for my 580s......750 vs 1000.

Still it is so close, two cards vs. three from a physical and space relate issue, I liked the 580s.

Now......560 Ti is about the same price as the 6950 now a days, I have no experience with the 560, but if the above is true.....two 6950 should beat two 560 Tis any day.

have you guys tried undervolting your cards when you're not going for a maximum overclock in gaming? I know for a fact that mine, I can run at stock 715MHz core clock using 937 mV, compared to 1.0 V stock, or I can do 680MHz (it's a nice round number, think of it as reference 675 ;)) at 900 mV, leading to something like a 10* C difference from the lowest 680MHz speed to faster overclocks ~840MHz.

TLDR: Undervolt it as much as you can.

I reply to what's there. If you keep editing your posts afterwards, that's not my problem.

In this thread we discussed a 6950 2GB vs. a GTX 560 Ti. After it was soundly concluded that a 6950 2GB is a much better buy, we're now arguing about a 6950 2GB vs. a GTX 580, which is amazing in itself considering it's a comparison of a $220 graphics card vs. a $430 one.

Which post did I edit after you responded?

I agree that the 6950 is probably a better buy, I love mine, but you can't go wrong with the GTX560ti either. It's not as cut and dry as you guys are making it out to be.

As Lord_Exodia posted above, and overclocked and unlocked 6950 trades blows with a stock GTX 580, even though it's half the price. You're never going to see a card always be faster than a competitor's all the time unless they're very far apart on the performance scale. This is due to the differences in architectures and the dependence on drivers in this day and age, and anyone who's been in hardware more than a week knows this.

This is exactly what I have been trying to point out about your posts as well.

Edit: There are some well optimized games like Metro and Crysis where Cayman does really well and trades blows (when overclocked) with GTX580 but for every one of those there is a game like Starcraft 2 or Civ V where the 580 walks all over the cheaper 6950.

Last edited:
The 560 Ti is an excellent card, especially for 1920x1200 and lower. You can't really go wrong, and as pointed out, there are games like SC2 and Civ V where Nvidia clearly has an advantage.

That said, anyone that seriously plays SC2 favors low quality settings. And Civ V is a turn-based game, so getting 45 fps compared to 40 fps isn't exactly a game-changer unlike in FPS. Just my 2 cents.

That said, anyone that seriously plays SC2 favors low quality settings. And Civ V is a turn-based game, so getting 45 fps compared to 40 fps isn't exactly a game-changer unlike in FPS. Just my 2 cents.

I agree but if I mention something like Dirt 2 or Hawx 2 I'll have to hear them pull the TWIMTBP card. Those are just the first two titles from companies that Nvidia clearly can't afford to buy out that came to mind.

Back