550watt PS enough for two 7800GT?

I purchased two 7800GT video cards and an Antec 550W PS. Now my buddy says that it will not have enough power to properly power the entire computer. The power supply is Sli certified so I don't see why it would not work.

This is the link to the powersupply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

So, what does everyone think can this powersupply do what I read it can do and power my rig in my signature?

Your buddy is an moron, unless you are running 8 hard drives and 4 cd roms in addition to that 7800GT

I don't see any reason why that won't work. I'm running one 6800GT which consumes more than 1 7800GT on an Antec 350 watt.

Now would be the time to ask your buddy to put his money where his mouth is. :p

38A on +12? A pair of 7800GTs will be a breeze for that power supply.

Yeah. Perhaps he's thinking of a Deer, not an Antec.

I've got the exact same Antec 550w PSU in the system in my SIG. It also has 4 HDDs, 2 DVD drives, plenty of case fans, and a PCI wireless card. My system runs just fine.

Honestly your system doesn't have that much in it.
I don't know what your buddy is basing his info on but that PSU is more than enough.

SKy042 said:
Honestly your system doesn't have that much in it.
I don't know what your buddy is basing his info on but that PSU is more than enough.

It is an obvious case of SFB Syndrome

(Shit For Brains). :cool:

DougLite said:
38A on +12? A pair of 7800GTs will be a breeze for that power supply.

I've mentioned the maximum combined +12V capacity of the Antec TPII-550 series several times in previous posts: That PSU has a maximum combined +12V capacity of 36A, not 38A. Look at the label on that PSU itself, since you won't find that figure in the published specs. In addition, the dual +12V rails are not additive, since they are powered from the same transformer circuit.

yea but its not like it WOULD run on 38a and WONT run on 36a. i used to run my 2 7800gt's on an old antec trucontrol 550watt which had about 24amps 12v. you will be fine. your psu seems at least as good as my current one if not better.

I'm running 3 hdds, a 3800x2 at 2.5ghz, 2GB ram, and a pair of 7800GTX on a 350w psu. Worry about quality before the rated wattage. Box is a Shuttle SN26P.

Back