55" LG C8 (€1,099) vs 55" Samsung Q9FN (€1,149)

dbgt

n00b
I just cant decide, been reading non-stop for the last 72 hours about this 2 displays. Theres only a €50 price difference but dont know how long this offer will last

I was dead set on getting an OLED, the C8 specifically, but after reading about its problems, i started having doubts and I began reading about the Q9FN (which i didnt knew anything about it)

The display will be used primarily as a PC monitor, with youtube / browsing taking about 60% of use (having multiple windows open, watching youtube while browsing), the other 40% of the time will be used for Netflix, movies, gaming (pc, ps4 pro, switch).

The room is semi-dark and can become completely dark if necessary. Seating will be 2m from the display, only me and wife will be using it so probably not interested in / dont need wide viewing angles.

I dont consider myself a "heavy" gamer, (every once in a while i get hooked up with some games though), so while the Q9FN gaming features would be nice to have, its not a deal breaker.

On the other hand, i DO consider myself a heavy computer user and knowing the burn in risks of OLED makes me worried, I dont like watching youtube in full screen (as i have seen its recommended for OLEDs) as i like browsing / doing other stuff while watching youtube. Would hiding the taskbar, changing wallpaper every few min, setting a low brightness, manually moving open windows every few(?) hours be enough?

Any advice / opinions?

Thank you

The C8 is the better tv but for your use case go with the Samsung. I would worry to much about burn in using it as a pc primarily. The Q9 is also a great TV and the best TV you can buy outside of OLED. I seriously doubt you will not be disappointed with it.

Some people here run an OLED as a daily driver for their PC, but I agree with vegeta535. If you game and watch movies with it most of the time I don't think it would be a problem. Just keep in mind that the European 55" model of the Q9FN is the same as the US version of the Q8FN in the same size (1/10 the amount of dimming zones as the 65" Q9FN).

To avoid worrying about burn in get the Samsung. It should also support Freesync so that will give you a benefit over an OLED as well. I have a C8 at home, but it is my main TV and all we use it for is TV and Movie viewing. It is pretty rare for us to play games, but if we do it is normally only an hour or so. I've never connected to it as a monitor, but my understanding is that it does pretty well in that department. The other main thing about OLED vs QLED is that OLED is better in darker rooms, and QLED performs better in brighter environments. Chances are pretty good you won't be disappointed in either option, so just pick to your use case.

Reactions: dbgt
like this
Would hiding the taskbar, changing wallpaper every few min, setting a low brightness, manually moving open windows every few(?) hours be enough?

Yes.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare it side by side with the Samsung, but OLED is a game changer for games and movies. PC desktop use, not so much.

Your usage is similar to mine. I work from home and use it for 6-8 hours every day as a monitor before I even think about playing other content on it. It's stunning and hasn't disappointed me yet.

Your darker room is an ideal fit for OLED, btw.

But, the Samsung does have attractive gaming features. That said, the LG OLEDs will do 120Hz at 1080 (not 1440) and if you can wait, the new ones are supposed to have 4K/120Hz and VRR support I think.

Both are great sets for the [H] user. :)

Some people here run an OLED as a daily driver for their PC, but I agree with vegeta535. If you game and watch movies with it most of the time I don't think it would be a problem. Just keep in mind that the European 55" model of the Q9FN is the same as the US version of the Q8FN in the same size (1/10 the amount of dimming zones as the 65" Q9FN).
Also this is incorrect, the Q8FN(USA)'s equal in europe is the Q8DN.

Reactions: dbgt
like this
Yes.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare it side by side with the Samsung, but OLED is a game changer for games and movies. PC desktop use, not so much.

Your usage is similar to mine. I work from home and use it for 6-8 hours every day as a monitor before I even think about playing other content on it. It's stunning and hasn't disappointed me yet.

Your darker room is an ideal fit for OLED, btw.

But, the Samsung does have attractive gaming features. That said, the LG OLEDs will do 120Hz at 1080 (not 1440) and if you can wait, the new ones are supposed to have 4K/120Hz and VRR support I think.

Both are great sets for the [H] user. :)

Do you have the C8? have you had any problem using it as a pc monitor? how long have you been using the OLED?

I know the newer models have hdmi 2.1 features but they are much more expensive, way out of my budget. Last year models are right now so cheap, but I even hesitate of spending €1,000 on a tv (asking myself if I REALLY need it), this would be the most i have ever spend on a display

Do you have the C8? have you had any problem using it as a pc monitor? how long have you been using the OLED?

No, I have the previous year's model (B7). Pretty much the same TV, though. I've been using it for over a year and a half now. No problems and aside from the massive size it's the best monitor I've ever used. Everything looks sooooo good. Perfect blacks, no PWM, 120Hz support (at 1080p) although I normally just run it at 4K/60Hz.

Can't wait until LG releases their smaller version. This thing is honestly too big but I can't give up the image quality.

Back