531.18 GeForce graphics driver bug may cause 10%+ CPU usage

polonyc2

Fully [H]
GeForce graphics driver bug may cause 10%+ CPU usage from Nvidia Container

A new graphics driver bug can cause high CPU usage from NVIDIA containers...gamers have noticed a sudden spike of CPU usage after existing games, that can go even higher than 15%...this issue may not be easily noticeable, and may require checking system data...the recommendation is to roll back to the older driver...

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-acknowledges-10-cpu-usage-driver-bug-after-exiting-games

Good call out, thanks! I was eager to grab these drivers to try out RTX super resolution. If I hadn't been monitoring to see the utilization, it would have been easy to miss this for much longer. I've seen it eat upwards of 20% on my 5800X3D.

I *think* I had this happen today. I just chalked it up to windows doing windows things in the background. Didn’t bother checking the processes tab to see what was using those cpu cycles.

I tried the new RTX Super Resolution setting. It supposed to upscale to 4k when watching streams/Youtube. I clicked a Twitch stream and was amazed how much better it looked on my 4k monitor then after 1 minute my PC turned off!
Just spent the last 2 hours getting it back to normal. I could not load my saved BIOS profile. It would freeze. Also my Asrock Restart to UEFI app would turn off the PC but would not boot until I cleared CMOS. I tried the profile from a USB and still froze. Many times clearing CMOS. Reflashed the BIOS. So I started from scratch changing settings then booting into Windows then back for more settings rinse and repeat.
I am scared to check the new profile.

Back