520W Corsair takes 2 tries to power on?

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
I need advice on this issue because I'm not sure if it's the setup I have or the PSU itself.

New 520W Corsair PSU powering the following low-end system:

ASUS A7N8X-X (20-pin, no 4-pin)
2500+ Barton (1.86GHz) OC to 3200+ (2.2GHz)
1GB of Mushkin L2 PC3200 @ CAS 2-3-2-6 200MHz
ATI 9800pro (molex power connector attached)
SB Live soundcard
1 80GB WD IDE hard drive
1 DVD burner
3 80mm case fans

Pretty basic stuff. After I installed the 9800pro and bumped the RAM to 1GB from 512MB the old Antec 330W Smartpower was having trouble booting (the system would shutdown 1-2 seconds after turning on) So I got the 520W Corsair as a replacement. The problem I have now is that when I push the power button.... nothing happens.... BUT when I push it again, the system powers on fine, no issues.

Ok, so this computer is my moms and I'm hearing endless complaining about the 2 push issue because she is certain it is going to fail at any moment.

I'm not sure if it's a power issue, as in there isn't enough amps being generated by this setup to turn on the Corsair... not enough power draw, OR if it's a problem with the Corsair. Now, since taking this PSU out of this case to test in another system requires me to take the entire motherboard out (thanks Antec, great design), please suggest other options first. ;)

Thanks.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the motherboard powers the CPU with the +5V? You said it didn't have the 4-pin connector. It could be crossloading heavily?

Sounds fishy. I have the setup in my sig and have no problems booting with one touch of the power button. If i were you I'd throw the PSU in another rig to test it. It would be worth the time.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the motherboard powers the CPU with the +5V? You said it didn't have the 4-pin connector. It could be crossloading heavily?

That's what I'm wondering Korruption. Does it power the CPU with 5v? I really don't know if the Barton core was 5v or 12v powered. If it's 5v it probably is crossloaded.

That's what I'm wondering Korruption. Does it power the CPU with 5v? I really don't know if the Barton core was 5v or 12v powered. If it's 5v it probably is crossloaded.

It depends more on the board. The A7N8X powers the CPU from the +5V.

Well then that's probably what the problem is. I've got an Epox NF3 board with AGP on it I think I'll swap it with. Slap a cheap A64 in it and see what happens.

Well, there is definately something screwed up with this Corsair. I switched it over to my Opteron 146 setup and it won't even cold boot unless I flip the power switch in the back off and on first. This is a known good system. I think I'll swap this one out before I end up damaging something.

Sounds like the same exact issue I am having with an Enhance 5150GH and an older revision DFI Ultra-D. Must use the power switch on the back of the psu (off then back on) to get a start. There are no problems after that. I have been reading that it may be a problem with the 5vsb and the way it feeds back to the psu.

Do you have a spare PSU?
If so you could unhook the main PSU and connect the other one just sitting outside
the case, as a test setup.

Back