512GB PM951 m.2 NVMe SSD $99 shipped ebay BIN

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
So wiping it through ubuntu apparently wants to take 6 weeks....
So i'm going to try another method. Maybe what you listed Vile, because what the linux wipe command did give me is what i think the PSID is for the drive... it was 32 char's long anyway.

this is interesting.... It does not even show the drive up. to select.
upload_2018-2-16_0-23-7.png

Yes it is seen through basically any other bootable tool or linux based OS.

I saw you tried to delete the partitions with diskpart, but I think you said that diskpart didn't see the drive. Did you try getting into diskpart from bootable Windows media? That may work. Also, you don't necessarily have to select and delete the partitions. If you can select the disk, the clean option should wipe it.

-edit
Another option is to disable secure boot in your bios and enable legacy boot. That should make the drive visible to partition tools that currently don't see it.

Last edited:
So my drive was delivered yesterday. I just popped it into a system and ran crystaldiskinfo on it.

It's reporting:

total reads, 40GB
total writes, 39GB
power on count, 17
power on hours, 3

And there appears to be a Windows install already on it.

Looks like I got a fresh OEM pull. Pretty happy with this!

Vapor1000 that's pretty strange. We do a lot of installs at work and we bitlocker our drives on all domain-joined PCs. Whenever we refresh a system we just run the Windows installer and do a fresh install; tell it to delete the partitions and install on the empty space. I haven't run in to what you're experiencing here. I've also bitlockered drives at home when selling them, and a quick delete of the partitions afterwards returns them to a "new drive detected, need to create a partition and format it" state.

If you have exhausted other options and want to do a very fast wipe of the drive (and it is visible in an Ubuntu live environment), try this:

Boot the live CD, connect to your network so it can reach the internet

Go to system settings / software sources and enable the "UNIVERSE" repository (should be a checkbox)

Open the "disks" panel to get the device identifier for the drive (like /dev/sda or /dev/nvme01).

Open a terminal
run "sudo su" to get to root

run "apt-get update" to update the catalog of available software

run "apt-get install dc3dd" to install the DC3DD tool. This is a modified version of GNU DD with major speed improvements.

run "dc3dd wipe=/dev/nvme01" (or whatever the "disks" program said is the correct identifier for the drive)

The command will write zeros to the drive as fast as it can take them - I have seen it push well over 1GB/s on fast NVMe drives. It should only take, idunno, maybe ten minutes or so to wipe the whole drive? But you can stop it (CTRL-C) after just 20 seconds or so; that will write more than enough data to the drive to clear any partition table, encrypted boot partitions, etc. You can let the command run to completion if you want, it will do a full 512GB write if you let it.

My mail was just delivered, and as I suspected no drive again today. There have been no further updates on the USPS tracking. There's no updated delivery date.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

-edit
USPS found my package, and has delivered the drive. I'm getting ready to test it out and hopefully install it in my gaming rig.

Last edited:
So just to update, either the drive is bad or my MSI Tomahawk sucks worse than I thought (and I bloody hate the thing already). I've been fighting with this for two days and still can't get the drive to show up anywhere. It doesn't show in bios, windows 10 installer doesn't see it, etc.

So just to update, either the drive is bad or my MSI Tomahawk sucks worse than I thought (and I bloody hate the thing already). I've been fighting with this for two days and still can't get the drive to show up anywhere. It doesn't show in bios, windows 10 installer doesn't see it, etc.

Have you updated the motherboards firmware?

I'd bet on the drive. I've had multiple brands of M.2 drives on multiple B350 boards without any issues.

-edit
Just to throw this out there, I was not impressed with how the drive came packaged. It was in a box within a USPS bag, and inside of the box it was in a plastic container. However, I'm unsure if the plastic container has anti-static properties, and even if it does it is WAY too big for a tiny nvme drive. It looks like a cell phone battery container. The drive was rattling around like crazy in there.
-end edit

have any other boards? or friends with other boards to test it with?

The only other machine I have in the house with a compatible m.2 slot is a work laptop. I may have to pop the drive in there just to see what happens. Conversely I can put the laptop drive in my Tomahawk and see if it is recognized.

Have you updated the motherboards firmware?

Affirmative. I am now running the latest firmware, it was published 1/29/2018. The drive also did not work with the 9/21/2017 firmware, which I had been running. I didn't try any of the older options.

I'd bet on the drive. I've had multiple brands of M.2 drives on multiple B350 boards without any issues.

I'm thinking it is the drive as well, but believe me when I say this MSI motherboard is TERRIBLE. I've owned many MSI made motherboards over the years and this is sure to be the last. The bios options suck. Several settings have effects that their name does not imply, and several are just poorly named and implemented. Not only is the cmos clear procedure a mess (because it is nonstandard) but it also doesn't work. I suppose it clears *some* settings, but it definitely doesn't clear all of them and I'd expect a cmos clear to do. It is only intended to recover from a bad overclock, perhaps.

There have been multiple instances where the PC was booting and/or entering the bios setup screen and I could not see anything. My display showed it was getting a signal (it would exit sleep mode), but the screen was all black. I swapped multiple video cards, multiple displays and cables... nothing would work. Clear cmos? Did nothing. I eventually recovered by spamming the delete key during bootup, then hitting F6 (to restore optimized defaults) and enter, followed by F10 (to save) and enter. When it reboots after that sequence, the display comes back.

The UEFI bios is buggy at best. There are multiple reports of MSI B350 motherboards with warm boot issues, they like to lose all the connected drives.

Through all of this and more, I got no error codes or anything. The silly debug LEDs are useless. I have learned to deal with the boards quirks and handle them as they pop back up. As a result, I'm not entirely sure the drive I got from ebay is bad. It could very well just be yet another issue of this board.

Last edited:
The only other machine I have in the house with a compatible m.2 slot is a work laptop. I may have to pop the drive in there just to see what happens. Conversely I can put the laptop drive in my Tomahawk and see if it is recognized.

Affirmative. I am now running the latest firmware, it was published 1/29/2018. The drive also did not work with the 9/21/2017 firmware, which I had been running. I didn't try any of the older options.

I'm thinking it is the drive as well, but believe me when I say this MSI motherboard is TERRIBLE. I've owned many MSI made motherboards over the years and this is sure to be the last. The bios options suck. Several settings have effects that their name does not imply, and several are just poorly named and implemented. Not only is the cmos clear procedure a mess (because it is nonstandard) but it also doesn't work. I suppose it clears *some* settings, but it definitely doesn't clear all of them and I'd expect a cmos clear to do. It is only intended to recover from a bad overclock, perhaps.

There have been multiple instances where the PC was booting and/or entering the bios setup screen and I could not see anything. My display showed it was getting a signal (it would exit sleep mode), but the screen was all black. I swapped multiple video cards, multiple displays and cables... nothing would work. Clear cmos? Did nothing. I eventually recovered by spamming the delete key during bootup, then hitting F6 (to restore optimized defaults) and enter, followed by F10 (to save) and enter. When it reboots after that sequence, the display comes back.

The UEFI bios is buggy at best. There are multiple reports of MSI B350 motherboards with warm boot issues, they like to lose all the connected drives.

Through all of this and more, I got no error codes or anything. The silly debug LEDs are useless. I have learned to deal with the boards quirks and handle them as they pop back up. As a result, I'm not entirely sure the drive I got from ebay is bad. It could very well just be yet another issue of this board.

I've got an MSI B350M Mortar with a 2400G in it. It's been flawless so far. But I'm not running an M.2. I also have a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 7 that has also been amazing. It might help that I'm using Samsung B-dies. But if you want to send me your ebay M.2 I can test it for you. (y) :LOL:

I tried putting the drive in my work laptop and I don't have access to the bios or boot order, so that didn't really tell me much. All I know now is that if the drive works it does not have Windows or any bootable OS on it. My laptop tried booting through a UEFI network connection, and failing that it just rebooted in a loop. All other boot options appear to be disabled.

I'm going to make a trip to Microcenter in the morning to pick up a 4x PCIe slot to M.2 adapter. I found one that specifically mentions being used with a PM951 in the reviews and is less than $20. That should let me at least verify the drive is not bad. If it works, I'll keep the adapter and use this drive in a different PC that doesn't have an M.2 socket on the motherboard. The PM951 is not listed among the certified compatible M.2 drives for the B350 Tomahawk. Could just be another bios glitch / limitation.

I did a quick search and couldn't find it either. It's been so long I don't remember where I downloaded it from, but I just uploaded it to my Dropbox (sorry I can't find an official link for it)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i7uhzs743l1pif/Samsung PSID Revert.zip?dl=0

Keep in mind this will wipe the drive completely.
  • Take a picture of the drive or make note of the PSID
  • Install the M.2 drive as a secondary drive on the computer
  • Extract the PSID revert tool to your computer
  • Open an elevated command prompt on your computer and browse to the PSID revert tool folder
  • Within the PSID revert tool folder, launch TCG_Revert_Release.exe
  • Press the number of the drive you need to revert (i.e. 0 or 1)
  • Enter the PSID from the drive when prompted. It'll give you confirmation if it's successful
Vile do you, by any chance, still have copy of that tool and if you do can you reupload it?

I'm sorry to bump an years-old thread but I was searching for that tool for good few hours and can't find it anywhere.

I have an 840 Pro that has security encryption enabled which I'm trying to wipe and put back into life.

Vile do you, by any chance, still have copy of that tool and if you do can you reupload it?

I'm sorry to bump an years-old thread but I was searching for that tool for good few hours and can't find it anywhere.

I have an 840 Pro that has security encryption enabled which I'm trying to wipe and put back into life.

Sure, it's been re-uploaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wm7lps998lmj7j/Samsung PSID Revert.zip?dl=0

The previous posts have instructions on the usage, but let me know if you need help with it.

Back