512 GB Phones Are Here. How Much Storage Do You Actually Need?

Really curious what takes us so much space? I have several (20+) podcasts auto download and store last 3 episodes, pictures, etc. 32gb has never warned me I was almost out of space or anything. Is it Games? Nudes?

Really curious what takes us so much space? I have several (20+) podcasts auto download and store last 3 episodes, pictures, etc. 32gb has never warned me I was almost out of space or anything. Is it Games? Nudes?

It's all those VR videos of you know....stuff.

In all seriousness even the mp3 version of my music collection is somewhere close to 100GB. HD movies/tv take up tons of space as well for those who download instead of stream. And there are multi-GB games as well.

Podcasts are usually very low bitrate files (and therefore small files) even compared to mp3s of music because talking is much easier to compress without sounding horrible.

Stock Android on my S5 with the latest OTA update I had on it ate up most of the internal memory. I was pretty much going to have to use a microSD card if I wanted to store anything besides a handful of photos.

Rooted it and put Beanstalk on it. Suddenly I had the majority of my internal storage again.

On an LG V20 now, stock Android, most of the internal memory is free even with all the apps and games I have on it.

I still rock a 128GB card in it anyway because I am not giving this thing up until it ceases to be written onto or read from anymore.

128GB is the sweet spot. Anything more is a waste of $$ for me.

My phone has 16GB and that has been plenty. I don't use it for much more than calls/text, browser, google maps, streaming music, and the occasional photo while I'm out and didn't bring my camera.

The option for more is always better though. It's pretty cool that the option exists for those that want to take lots of video/photos or load it up with content for use offline.

You know I would have said 32gb however I use my phone mostly as a vr headset and the aps eat space so 128 min

I got my Nexus 6P 128GB warrantied to a Pixel XL 32GB. Suffice to say, it's rough. I think a bare minimum to function is 64GB now (we're talking a decent amount of apps, some music, and space for some videos/photos). But 128GB is my safety zone. I have to survive on 32GB until I can afford to buy a new phone.

Huawei is reportedly releasing a smartphone that includes 512GB of internal storage, doubling the amount of space offered by today’s largest and most premium mobiles. This has spurred discussions as to whether anyone really needs that much space, and if cloud storage makes it redundant.

With cloud storage and streaming services becoming exceedingly popular, storing video, music, and photos directly on your phone may not be necessary. But there are definitely some benefits to storing data on your phone. As we have seen with the private celebrity photos leaked from iCloud, cloud storage is not secure enough to be trusted. Downloading data can be a pain as well.

If I can't back up every last device I own to my phone, it's not enough.

PERIOD!

The sweet spot for me is 64gb. I just picked up a brand new Google Pixel 2 XL 64gb in the box sealed for $550. Fantastic phone and camera ... so awesome. But yeah. it's my 2nd 64gb phone. Was using a Google Nexus 6 with 64gb for about 3 years ... again, fantastic phone for it's time and can still hold it's on. But with 64gb you can get tons of 4K video, photos and still have plenty of room on their for several hundred songs and dozens and dozens of apps.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Google Nexus 6 64gb unlocked boot-loader in absolutely pristine connection ... I'm letting it go with a wireless charger for $150 + shipping. Hollar! lol

I'm currently still making 16GB work on my s4. The only concessions I have to make is every few moths clearing my Google Music cache.

Apps will continue to grow in size, but I could function on 32GB for my next phone, and 64GB is more than enough for the next five years.

I could download my entire Google Music library on a 64gb phone, with plenty of room left fpr apps./videos. That's no-compromise.

A phone as your only device...sounds like poor personal choices for technology to me.

How is that? How many people have more than 1 computer, or 1 laptop? Many people only have 1 device and for the majority a cell phone does everything they need...

Huawei is reportedly releasing a smartphone that includes 512GB of internal storage, doubling the amount of space offered by today’s largest and most premium mobiles. This has spurred discussions as to whether anyone really needs that much space, and if cloud storage makes it redundant.

With cloud storage and streaming services becoming exceedingly popular, storing video, music, and photos directly on your phone may not be necessary. But there are definitely some benefits to storing data on your phone. As we have seen with the private celebrity photos leaked from iCloud, cloud storage is not secure enough to be trusted. Downloading data can be a pain as well.

meh, I'll just wait for the 512GB MSDXC cards or better yet the 1TB+ ones

My phone as 16 GB onboard and a 200 GB microSD. I use slightly over 50% of the 200 GB. I use the full 200 GB, when I go on long trips. For day to day, I have mp3s/flac and music videos.

Well if they didnt charge my right nut to download/upload more than 2 gigs of data and cloud storage really was infinite? A few gigs of local storage to spool things before I pick what to save.

Absent that? A shit ton since its too friggen expensive to store it online or to upload it outside of the house.

I have a 32 GB Pixel XL, really never have issues as I stream most things on wi-fi or pre-download videos and delete them as I go. More would be nice but surprising how far 32 GB goes. Still have almost 10 gb free right now.

Lots of video will do it. I'd still rather have an external SD card option than internal though. Cards are getting faster and cheaper, plus they can be moved to new phones.

Back to the video, anyone with kids might appreciate it. With offline options for Netflix and eventually other streaming networks, that can save some headaches for parents loading up on kids shows. Long roadtrips, back and forth from school/daycare, and then having whichever show available said kid wants to watch can be useful. Saves a lot of mobile data that way and then there are always offline maps, photos, etc.

Back