51% of US Households Own an Apple Product

Now if that many households were rocking Windows ME, THAT would be a much better situation for the US... Amirite?

but the reality is, the majority of the marketshare is that clueless guy who walked into verizon and wanted something free, so the sales guy pushed an android phone on him because he makes more commission that way.

This, so f'ing hard.

I have no fruity products in my house, nor do I ever plan on purchasing any. Strangely, I am fine with this, and have not lost any sleep over it.

Apple products and service are simply the best.

You have been living under a rock. Maybe you missed my reply about the broken 27"imac that was given to me. It made it 13 months before the video card died...Apple wants more to fix it than a refurb one costs but I can fix it if I could find a new card. Too bad there arent any of the cards online for less than $400, and the ones I do see do not say they are for mac. (Besides, I cant see any mac worth that much even).

I was feeling good about myself, then I realized my wife got a iradio as a gift. F**k

I was about to say that I was in the 49%, than I realized my wife owns a Ipod Nano 8GB.......

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

/me pulls out his Zune and cuddles with it.

has anyone that has any appreciation for sound ever listened to an iPod and not wanted to gouge their ears out with a rusted H'orderves fork

Apple uses dont bother me, UNLESS;

They argue with me that there Mac is better than my PC simply because it is an apple product and it cost more money which means it HAS to be better right?

Sadly, for apple users, your average user is the idoit I just exampled.

This is false. Period. If they think it is true then their sample size is not high enough. Sorry, but iPhones and iPads aren't THAT popular, and Macs are far less so. And people who have a Mac are not going to increase the percentage because those people also have an iPhone.

Would this be one of the signs of the apocalypse?

This is false. Period. If they think it is true then their sample size is not high enough. Sorry, but iPhones and iPads aren't THAT popular, and Macs are far less so. And people who have a Mac are not going to increase the percentage because those people also have an iPhone.

Please go out sometimes. Ride a public transportation or go to the gym or the park. How many people do you see wearing white earbuds? You're only kidding yourself if you don't think ipods/iphones are not that popular...lol

Lol at the comments here though :)

Love the hypocricsy in this thread/

Headline "Android gains majority marketshare"

Comments: "That's what happens when you're the best"
"Cream always rises to the top"
etc.

Headline: "51% of households use apple products"

comments: "so many sheep"
"bunch of morons"

It's even funnier that there are FAR FAR more android users who are either as clueless as the average apple user or even less so. You losers like the delude yourselves into thinking that android users are geeks, nerds, MIT graduates, but the reality is, the majority of the marketshare is that clueless guy who walked into verizon and wanted something free, so the sales guy pushed an android phone on him because he makes more commission that way.

QFT :D

I would have to agree that this is MAINLY iPod products. Most people don't know/care that there are truly better MP3 players out there (Zune, SanDisk, Cowon, etc) and due to ignorance they think MP3 as iPod...hell most people don't even call them MP3 players anymore, its just "iPod".

They used to call them Walkmans. ;)

I have a Cowon and an iPod (classic) and wouldn't call either superior.

Please go out sometimes. Ride a public transportation or go to the gym or the park. How many people do you see wearing white earbuds? You're only kidding yourself if you don't think ipods/iphones are not that popular...lol

Lol at the comments here though :)

They are popular, but not 50% popular!

the only apple thing i own is a free ipod 4th gen.

it was from one of those online referral ad whoring shits back in 2005, something like ipod4free.com or something.
all those referral programs have gone defunct by now.

Theres lots of misinformation and nonsense spread by that company. I mean how many legal disputes have there been over their misleading ads?
And how many of these disputes have been successful?

Apple's seen as a great target for frivolous lawsuits because of their monstrous cash reserves. No other company in the U.S. is a greater target.

It might be nice to see which Apple products are actually owned. My guess is it's about 90% older-model iPods.

Just saying "Apple product" really makes the survey mean nothing. Should either be "Apple product released in the last few years" or have a breakdown by product type.

Also, MEGA LOL at the sample size:

CNBC noted that "the poll of 836 Americans was conducted by landline and cellphone from March 19 to 22 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percent."

Less than 900 people out of over 300 million?

Bought a 20GB first generation iPod for $400-$500, sold it after about a year for $200 (after having it refurbished due to a broken headphone port). Haven't owned anything apple since.

The iPhone is quality hardware designed to be short lived (glass housing), with a limited OS. Limits do keep idiots from breaking their phones, so it's not altogether a bad thing.

iMac's are vastly overpriced, fashion objects.

Mac Pro's aren't terribly overpriced compared to other similarly spec'd workstations. And Macbook Pro's are similarly not terribly overpriced compared to the competition, although they're not a "value" proposition by any stretch.

Choices keep the market moving along... whenever Windows copies an OSX feature, OSX has to innovate further and vice versa. Same thing with iOS copying Android. I hope Apple continues to be successful, and innovate just like their competition. Just please stop quoting damn AAPL stock stories so often... if I wanted stock news, I'd read an investment website.

Just please stop quoting damn AAPL stock stories so often... if I wanted stock news, I'd read an investment website.

Agreed. A lot of the news items leave me scratching my head as to why they would post it.

Given how many have mentioned the sample size, I'm not sure why this news was ever linked, either, given that it means nothing. Trolling us?

This is one of the reasons why Apple is so successful these days: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/29/2909537/paper-drawing-ipad-app-fiftythree-brains-behind-courier

So now the iPad is the cool product that Microsoft canceled which is incredible when the iPad doesn't even have a freaking digital pen that is CRITICAL for programs like this work well unless you like wearing a glove or holding your hand in unnatural ways, but no, it's cool looking. Lacks basic and critical elements but you can shake it undo mistakes because that's just SOOO much cooler than a simple cross out stroke, pen or simple tap on the undo button.

Only 51%? Between Ipod, Ipad, Iphone and their computer range, doesn't really surprise me that people would have some sort of apple product in their house.

yeah, same here. I'm surprised it's actually not higher with iOS devices alone.

They forgot to add this:

*Based on a census of 1000 people.

There were only 836 people surveyed--this isn't some giant social survey, just a news site doing basic polling to jin up some news for the day.

It might be nice to see which Apple products are actually owned. My guess is it's about 90% older-model iPods.

Just saying "Apple product" really makes the survey mean nothing. Should either be "Apple product released in the last few years" or have a breakdown by product type.

Also, MEGA LOL at the sample size:

Less than 900 people out of over 300 million?

Wow, I guess android users really are as stupid as they say. For comparison, here is a little something from Gallup's site:

Gallup said:
The typical sample size for a Gallup poll, either a traditional stand-alone poll or one night's interviewing from Gallup's Daily tracking, is 1,000 national adults with a margin of error of ±4 percentage points.

This is one of the reasons why Apple is so successful these days: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/29/2909537/paper-drawing-ipad-app-fiftythree-brains-behind-courier

So now the iPad is the cool product that Microsoft canceled which is incredible when the iPad doesn't even have a freaking digital pen that is CRITICAL for programs like this work well unless you like wearing a glove or holding your hand in unnatural ways, but no, it's cool looking. Lacks basic and critical elements but you can shake it undo mistakes because that's just SOOO much cooler than a simple cross out stroke, pen or simple tap on the undo button.

heh... I actually just ordered one of these and it make me think of you (since you're generally so adamant about handwriting and such)

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/12/29/cregle-ipen-active-stylus-for-the-ipad/

I'll post a review when I get it. I used to own a Wacom Cintiq for digital sketching and painting, but since you had to tether it to your PC, it was sort of a PITA to lug around. While it's not pressure sensitive, it's an interesting product. It's not a touch based device so it has, more or less, built in palm rejection.

I can't wait to get it. Most other stylus's for capacitive touch screens left a lot to be desired due to the HUGE tips they required. I really hope that this one works well.

It's household not population. Pretty sure tons of people share the same house..no?

Even if you doubled or quadrupled the number...that's still an extremely tiny fraction.

A more accurate poll might be something web-based as well rather than just by phone.

Even if you doubled or quadrupled the number...that's still an extremely tiny fraction.

A more accurate poll might be something web-based as well rather than just by phone.

You apparently have no idea how accurate surveys are done or how statistics work.

Randomly choosing a reasonable sample size is far more accurate than what you suggest.

Surveys work with a small but representative sampling of the population.

A web poll is by far the most easy to game, non-accurate type of poll.

That is why it's called "sampling". The idea being to sample a subset of the population thought to be satisfactorily representative of the whole. Basic statistics.

Not this guy.

Did you even read what I posted?

Probably not

I think you better do a little research. DRM hasn't been in iTune since 3 years ago. You can play iTunes music inside and outside of iTunes, in addition to throwing non-iTunes music into iTunes any time you wish.

If you're trying to tell us something else, you better clarify because so far three people who quoted you thought you said all music from iTunes are DRM infested.

guess you android users have trouble reading too. Here let me help you out a little:

I think it is pretty safe to say, most the 49%'s don't understand how statistics work (at least the ones in this forum). That of course won't stop them from posting their disbelief all over the web.

I think it is pretty safe to say, most the 49%'s don't understand how statistics work (at least the ones in this forum). That of course won't stop them from posting their disbelief all over the web.

In order for the sample group to be worth anything, you must be sure that the group you are sampling represents the entire range of people that you are claiming it applies to. Even leaving aside the fact that website polls are incredibly easy to skew, involving a website in the equation to begin with excludes anyone who doesn't access that website. If you're taking a tech poll and asking only the people who happen to visit the website (which is a small fraction of the people in the country), then your results are...

INVALID.

I didn't read more than the OP and I'm not going to. So Don't complain about anything I sai in this post.

This says a lot about our society but not more than the number of SUV's I see on the road and the like. It's obvious for anyone with any intelligence at all that our culture is overrun by morons trying to ruin life, the planet and good will towards man.

Even leaving aside the fact that website polls are incredibly easy to skew, involving a website in the equation to begin with excludes anyone who doesn't access that website. If you're taking a tech poll and asking only the people who happen to visit the website (which is a small fraction of the people in the country), then your results are...INVALID.
This wasn't a web poll. As per the article, which you should have at least glanced at prior to posting:
CNBC noted that "the poll of 836 Americans was conducted by landline and cellphone from March 19 to 22 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percent."

heh... I actually just ordered one of these and it make me think of you (since you're generally so adamant about handwriting and such)

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/12/29/cregle-ipen-active-stylus-for-the-ipad/

I'll post a review when I get it. I used to own a Wacom Cintiq for digital sketching and painting, but since you had to tether it to your PC, it was sort of a PITA to lug around. While it's not pressure sensitive, it's an interesting product. It's not a touch based device so it has, more or less, built in palm rejection.

I can't wait to get it. Most other stylus's for capacitive touch screens left a lot to be desired due to the HUGE tips they required. I really hope that this one works well.

Interesting, I was wondering when someone would do something like this. Of course a lot of people will see this and think that Apple invented active pens.

I'll be interested in seeing what you think and how it works with apps and what kinds of handwriting recognition apps there are and how well they work.

I think you better do a little research. DRM hasn't been in iTune since 3 years ago. You can play iTunes music inside and outside of iTunes, in addition to throwing non-iTunes music into iTunes any time you wish.

If you're trying to tell us something else, you better clarify because so far three people who quoted you thought you said all music from iTunes are DRM infested.

Here's what I actually wrote

I got into an argument at work with 50 year old about this.

He didn't believe me that you could get music without DRM and thought his Iphone would only play music he bought from itunes.

Apple loves this guy

And I was replying to this quote

I would have to agree that this is MAINLY iPod products. Most people don't know/care that there are truly better MP3 players out there (Zune, SanDisk, Cowon, etc) and due to ignorance they think MP3 as iPod...hell most people don't even call them MP3 players anymore, its just "iPod".

To clarify.

He told me that ALL digital music had DRM on it. That's False. As you point out not even itunes does anymore. He said that in response to me saying that Amazon Music doesn't have DRM on it either.

He also told me that his iphone couldn't play MP3's. It could ONLY play AAC files. That's False. At least I would hope it's false. I don't actually own an iphone but my 3rd gen Ipod would play mp3's just fine.

This was all in reply to JoeUser who said that "ipod" has become synonymous with mp3 player. My point was this just didn’t know that the ipod/iphone could even play mp3s. My coworker told me this when I mentioned he could buy an album on sale at Amazon music instead of itunes.

Hey as much as I dislike a lot of Apple products for various reasons if something works for you then hey, have at it. I think most "Android" people are more in disbelief on how Apple could release a brick and write ibrick on it and people would be lined up the night before to buy it. They are masters of marketing but hey it's working!

Back