50C a little to high for idle temp on my 965?

Um, yeah, that's way too high, even on the stock cooler. What cooler are you using and how much paste did you put on? Pics help. I'd pull the heat sink off and double check everything..

Not the stock cooler, artic cooler 64 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

I've put plenty o paste on cpu's but I may have short changed it as I was running low, sorta like the toothpaste deal where you trying to squeeze every last bit out. Weird thing is even at 4ghz the idle is the same temp. I checked with Gigabyte and they said the bios I'm using would work. I'm still kind wondering about the paste however, gonna look right now to see if i have some more lying around.......

I guess I could stick the stock cooler on it with the thermal paste "tab" they have on it see if it makes a difference.

That seems ridiculously hot. I would check your seating on that heatsink. I am curious as why you skimped on the heatsink when you have the creap of the crop amd proc? You could have spent a few more dollars and got the cocage true spirit.

That seems ridiculously hot. I would check your seating on that heatsink. I am curious as why you skimped on the heatsink when you have the creap of the crop amd proc? You could have spent a few more dollars and got the cocage true spirit.

Haha true true. Actually this cooler is the one I used on the 720 BE in my sig but I can see now that is will not cope with the heat with the 965. I put the stock cooler on and it idles around 44C which is still too hot IMO, but will not allow the temp to go above 60C which is better than the other cooler. Looks like I'm in the market for a new cooler. Any suggestions?

that heatsinks not really that good.. especially on a 4ghz quad core.. as long as the middle part of the cpu has thermal paste covering it you should be fine.. since thats where most of the heat transfer is on AMD quad cores..

are these idle temps with it at stock or overclocked? and is cool 'n quiet disabled or enabled?

I have it at stock speed atm. I disabled quiet and cool because it didn't appear to be O/C friendly with my 720BE. Does it work better with the quad cores?

Seems a bit high, i would reset the HSF.

Sounds like you may have also put too much paste on, should be a very thin amount.

Just put together a 965 BE C3 for my brother and with an aftermarket cooler is running at 29c idle and 36c at load.

I have it at stock speed atm. I disabled quiet and cool because it didn't appear to be O/C friendly with my 720BE. Does it work better with the quad cores?

i usually just disable it but thats because it serves no purpose for me.. but it would explain your high temps at idle..

from what i remember cool 'n quiet only works when you overclock using the FSB but ive seen some say it works fine with the multiplier.. its just not worth my time to mess with it since my processor is at 100% load 24/7 anyways..

probably time to look into a better heatsink like the xig s1283 or something along those lines..

That temp is way too high. I'm thinking that you've might have over done the thermal paste. As for Cool 'n Quiet, it works fine with Phenom IIs when overclocking, either HT/FSB or Multiplier. There are even a couple of programs out that will allow you completely customize the different power settings. For a cheap good performing cooler, Xigmatek 1283/1284 is a very nice choice, and installed correctly, will be more than enough.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233012

Last edited:
When you apply thermal paste you put a small circle in the middle of the CPU then use a credit card or razor to smooth it out over the CPU. too much would cause the heat to not dissipate. i have a 965BE 125W and at stock clock it will idel at 29 deg with a tuniq tower 120

I have a X4 940 w/ stock HSF running around 46-50 Idle as well. Its been like that for months, I have built many pcs in my day and know not to put too much paste on my CPU. Hell who knows maybe i screwed up this time.

What is a good cooler for AM2/AM3 that doesnt require me yanking the board, I'm lazy and don't want to pull all the stuff outta my neat little Mirco ATX case.

I have a X4 940 w/ stock HSF running around 46-50 Idle as well. Its been like that for months, I have built many pcs in my day and know not to put too much paste on my CPU. Hell who knows maybe i screwed up this time.

What is a good cooler for AM2/AM3 that doesnt require me yanking the board, I'm lazy and don't want to pull all the stuff outta my neat little Mirco ATX case.

any heatsink that uses the stock AM2 bracket.. which almost all of them do since its far better then intel's push pin crap.. theres a couple out there that use custom brackets but those are few and far between.. xig s1283 i know for sure uses the stock mounting bracket and is a very good heatsink and its cheap..

I scraped some Arctic Silver off the Stock heatsink, wasn' much on there. and the temperatures didn't really change on my 940. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H and its reading 70deg+ underload. I am guessing that this motherboard is not reading the temps right, because I can stick my finger under the heat sink and the CPU is barely warm. No way the computer could be stable under 70C temps, Im guessing its just the older motherboard reading the wrong temps.

Edit: Well It looks like there is a temperature reading bug. Because that Phenom II in the link would cook like mine would at 80C.
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,406.msg1846.html#msg1846

Last edited:
Back