500mph Ping Pong Ball Cannon

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is pretty cool to see a ping pong ball hit the 500mph mark. All the action takes place at the 6 minute mark in the video so, if you are short on time, skip ahead.

So how fast would it go if you used a vacuum pump to evacuate the air and then instead of just puncturing the mylar on the back end, just have a regular plug attached to an air compressor tank that was at say 120-125psi instead of only using the lowly ambient air pressure of about 14.5psi as they stated?

1. Evacuate air
2. Close vacuum pump valve
3. Open air tank valve
4. Watch faster than speed of sound ping pong ball?

Now let's do a golf ball.

Pretty sure a gold ball would be way too heavy with that simple of a setup. And I really doubt that the ambient air pressure would be able to accelerate a golf ball nearly as fast as a ping pong ball.

So how fast would it go if you used a vacuum pump to evacuate the air and then instead of just puncturing the mylar on the back end, just have a regular plug attached to an air compressor tank that was at say 120-125psi instead of only using the lowly ambient air pressure of about 14.5psi as they stated?

1. Evacuate air
3. Open air tank valve

Pretty sure that is what Mythbusters did on theirs that was like 1k mph?

I think this is just to show a simple diy project that doesn't require a lot of setup other then a tube, pump, mylar, and ping pong balls.

1. Evacuate air
3. Open air tank valve

How about a paintball gun shooting into that vacuum?

BTW, I bet some of those really huge Artillery pieces could really benefit from this.

I know when we fired our 165mm Demo gun on the M728 CEV that the driver had to be buttoned up or get sucked out through his hatch and thrown out in front of the tank.

1. Evacuate air
3. Open air tank valve

Mach 1.4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgfm4DHiyc

And this is how the Hyperloop is supposed to work.... just with less abrupt deceleration at the end .:D

Back