500gig SATA SSD for an older laptop.

The King of Pants

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there any particular reason why the user reviews for every SATA SSD I've checked out are absolute dogshit? Trying to find an SSD for an older productivity laptop and I'm having zero luck finding any option that is particularly well recommended.

How much money are you really saving compared to a known, trusted model, that it's worth the research time?

All those 49$ Amazon prime "dogfish" SSDs are just pure shit.

How much money are you really saving compared to a known, trusted model, that it's worth the research time?

All those 49$ Amazon prime "dogfish" SSDs are just pure shit.
None. Slickdeals.net is your friend... There are real ssd deals constantly posted.

Pretty much any name brand is gonna be solid, IMO top names for SSD are Samsung and Intel, Crucial for budget.
You can pick up a 860 evo 500gb for 80$ currently and what I would recommend, the crucial MX500 is 65$ if you need to be budget conscious.

If you must go cheap $50 for the Inland Professional 480GB is the goto, the internal parts are the same or similar as the big guys, but is a 3rd party brand. (sold at microcenter too)
Dont expect the QC or longevity to be near as good for this though.

Last edited:
All Samsung's, and Western Digital Blue 3d are very good. Samsung's a bit more expensive but very much worth it, and WD is cheaper and very well worth it. I think your reviews are the cache'less drives that are cheaper and not as performing, or are you trying to compare NVMe SSD to SATA SSD? I placed a 120GB shitty Kingston cache'less drive in my Penryn dual core/nForce laptop long ago.....much better after that.

Reason for poor reviews is that a lot of people compare them to nvme drives which although both are SSD, it is like comparing apples to oranges. A SATA SSD should be compared to other SATA connected storage solutions for a fair comparison & review. I have had no issues with the Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD drives I have had in my systems for 5 years give or take of constant daily activity & 24/7 power on time.

Pretty much just don't read reviews at stores for tech products. You can't trust what the masses are saying. Stick to hardforum and proper review sites made from techies. But yeah, if you're looking at the lower dollar deals, then of course they aren't the best.

But yeah just buy a Samsung and call it a day. Or a Crucial.

Last edited:
Thanks, gang. The masses finding PC building has definitely turbofucked the utility of crowd-sourced reviews.

Samsung or Crucial, those are what I use and have had no issues with either brand, from 128GB to 2TB.

Most people that review things are idiots, so it's hard to separate good review from bad ones. My favorite types of reviews are when they're bitching about something completely separate from the actual product itself. As for SSDs, I always go with Samsung. Their warranty alone makes it worth it ... and they always honor it.

Edit: Case in point ... I just looked at a comment/review on slickdeals which was suggested above and the reviewer gave the product a thumbs down because he said he's never heard of slickdeals before. :confused:

Is there any particular reason why the user reviews for every SATA SSD I've checked out are absolute dogshit? Trying to find an SSD for an older productivity laptop and I'm having zero luck finding any option that is particularly well recommended.

Check the resources here. For an old laptop, you can get by with drives in the "Secondary/Light" category but if you want DRAM you should jump up to "Budget SATA." If quality/reliability is also necessary, then "Performance SATA."

Usually the user reviews are what they are because they dont know any better. Your mistake was wasting time reading them ;) as long as you stay away from chinese brands you will generally be okay. I am eschewing any QLC based drives at the moment though so keep that in mind for professional reviews.

Check the resources here. For an old laptop, you can get by with drives in the "Secondary/Light" category but if you want DRAM you should jump up to "Budget SATA." If quality/reliability is also necessary, then "Performance SATA."

Super handy, thanks.

Back