500GB external SATA drive only listing as 465GB during bootup

Advertised size vs what the computer sees, a quick search will find a detailed response. It is fine. 500GB = 465GB

FWIW:
300 = 279
400 = 372
500 = 465

Your fine, thats because the marketers use 1000mb instead of the actual 1024mb per GB

That's what I figured, I just found it odd that my SATA controller also reported it as 465 instead of 500.

The marketing department advertised the drive as 500 MB (500 x 1000).

The SATA controller is reporting it as 465 MiB (465 x 1024). The controller was built by engineers, not marketing droids.

The SATA controller is reporting it as 465 MiB (465 x 1024). The controller was built by engineers, not marketing droids.
I suppose in fairness, the marketing droids actually have it right - using the "giga" prefix to denote 1024^3 bytes breaks the SI convention and could be considered a little sloppy, although it's now become a de facto standard.

I cant see gibibytes and mebibytes ever catching on though, so I guess we're stuck with it. :)

Well, I'd say that this is just a matter of interpretation. Computer guys define 1kB "one kilobyte" being 1024 Byte. That's "one" - "kilobyte", not "one kilo" - "bytes" - or: (1)(kB), not (1k)(B). The kilo in kilobyte is not the SI prefix, the whole kilobyte is a new unit. It's a little bit like 1 EA is "one each" (one piece), not one Exa-Ampere ;-)

hmm... that's stretching the point a little I think. If they were inventing an entirely new word for a unit of 1024 bytes, instead of playing fast and loose with the "kilo" SI prefix, they could have called it anything - maybe a "britneybyte", or a "Desmond."

As you say though, it's a matter of interpretation, and whatever's in common usage tends to win out in the end. :)

They have always advertised like this. It is just different from the 2gb drives to the 500mb drive.

Don't forget formatting loses some drive space as well.

Well, I'd say that this is just a matter of interpretation. Computer guys define 1kB "one kilobyte" being 1024 Byte. That's "one" - "kilobyte", not "one kilo" - "bytes" - or: (1)(kB), not (1k)(B). The kilo in kilobyte is not the SI prefix, the whole kilobyte is a new unit. It's a little bit like 1 EA is "one each" (one piece), not one Exa-Ampere ;-)

It seems that some people have recently tried to disambiguate this situation:
Binary Prefixes

Back