5000G series coming soon to an SI near you?

it doesn't make me happy.

Can I ask why? I put off buying a new work machine and now I'm looking forward to getting a 5000-series unit instead.

Unless Van Gogh comes out real soon and proves to be a better entry level gaming APU, this is probably a good thing. Availability of the 4000-series parts has been spotty anyway.

Can I ask why? I put off buying a new work machine and now I'm looking forward to getting a 5000-series unit instead.

Unless Van Gogh comes out real soon and proves to be a better entry level gaming APU, this is probably a good thing. Availability of the 4000-series parts has been spotty anyway.
Well it’s not likely coming to Dell certainly not time for my procurement deadlines so not getting any for work. For my personal stuff it doesn’t have the power I need, I’m in the opposite position from most I have a perfectly good 3090 here but no PC to put it in. I’m holding out for the Zen 3 Threadripper but at this rate I may have to settle for a new Xeon.

I get where you're coming from. You want a HEDT/enterprise socket to fill, and AMD is focusing on the uber-consumer front.

Yeah I can see why this makes the wait look like it's gonna be longer.

I get where you're coming from. You want a HEDT/enterprise socket to fill, and AMD is focusing on the uber-consumer front.

Yeah I can see why this makes the wait look like it's gonna be longer.
But I can’t wait much longer I’m currently limping along with a dual E5 Xeon from 2015. The either the Xeons or the Threadripper’s are going to get me what I need but with a Threadripper I can ditch my “gaming” laptop and just go down to a single machine. I don’t know how the new Xeons are going to game so I’m going to have to keep an eye on those reviews.

But I can’t wait much longer I’m currently limping along with a dual E5 Xeon from 2015.

Don't do it. Either look at a desktop setup to carry you through that you know you can resell at a small loss, or push all the way through, to DDR5 if you can. We all know this is the worst time to buy -- even late 2020 wasn't so good, except for the lucky few -- so unless you have to replace something to keep going, you've got the hardware you've got.

Upgrade cycles are either very long or very short right now, so the only reasons to buy is if you can count on quickly feeding the upgrade cycle, or if you need to replace hardware. Otherwise you'll be out on a bit of money for a half measure in between generations.

Glad to hear that they will be coming to retail later this year, but disappointed that they wont be launching as retail but rather OEM.

Well, I know what I'm asking Santa for this Christmas!

Don't do it. Either look at a desktop setup to carry you through that you know you can resell at a small loss, or push all the way through, to DDR5 if you can. We all know this is the worst time to buy -- even late 2020 wasn't so good, except for the lucky few -- so unless you have to replace something to keep going, you've got the hardware you've got.

Upgrade cycles are either very long or very short right now, so the only reasons to buy is if you can count on quickly feeding the upgrade cycle, or if you need to replace hardware. Otherwise you'll be out on a bit of money for a half measure in between generations.
I stuck a 1080Ti in it so I can get another year out of it. But the 3090 crashes it, it doesn’t have the PSU to handle it on those rails. So I suppose waiting for DDR5 systems isn’t the worst idea.

Availability will be tight, I'm sure, but I see this as a good thing otherwise. There are loads of people who need new PCs and want something that can handle at least basic gaming while they're waiting for that RTX 3060 (or any decent GPU, really) to be in stock. You're not going to play 4K games with this, but it means you can have a gaming-capable system now without having to wait for all the pieces to fall into place.

Availability will be tight, I'm sure, but I see this as a good thing otherwise. There are loads of people who need new PCs and want something that can handle at least basic gaming while they're waiting for that RTX 3060 (or any decent GPU, really) to be in stock. You're not going to play 4K games with this, but it means you can have a gaming-capable system now without having to wait for all the pieces to fall into place.
Absolutely. Honestly I wish they'd released the 4XXX APU's to the retail channel. Clearly we need to wait for actual launch and review benchmarks, but these look like basically the same chips rebranded. Which isnt exactly bad, the 4XXX chips are pretty decent, just wish I could have bought them months ago.

Absolutely. Honestly I wish they'd released the 4XXX APU's to the retail channel. Clearly we need to wait for actual launch and review benchmarks, but these look like basically the same chips rebranded. Which isnt exactly bad, the 4XXX chips are pretty decent, just wish I could have bought them months ago.
The 4000's weren't bad but the graphics on them was pretty lackluster, the 4800U just edged out on the Iris Pro 10'th gen parts, and the Xe stuff found in the 11'th gen mobile parts is vastly better than the Iris Pro, the 4000 series just doesn't compete at this stage especially with Intel managing to get their parts out in quantity. AMD needs to launch the 5000 series if they want to hold any of their gains in that market space.

Glad to hear that they will be coming to retail later this year, but disappointed that they wont be launching as retail but rather OEM.

Well, I know what I'm asking Santa Alibaba for this Christmas!
Fixed

The 4000's weren't bad but the graphics on them was pretty lackluster, the 4800U just edged out on the Iris Pro 10'th gen parts, and the Xe stuff found in the 11'th gen mobile parts is vastly better than the Iris Pro, the 4000 series just doesn't compete at this stage especially with Intel managing to get their parts out in quantity. AMD needs to launch the 5000 series if they want to hold any of their gains in that market space.
from what I can see the 5000's are basically a rebrand.... no?

from what I can see the 5000's are basically a rebrand.... no?

Kinda depends, AMD is trying to get all the X000-series parts on the same number scheme. Looking at Wikipedia, it's mobile parts that seem to have the most overlap, but in general the 4000-series is Zen 2, while 5000 is Zen 3.

these are zen3-based APUs. So I wouldn’t call it a rebrand unless you also think the ryzen 5950x is just a rebranded 3950x.

Kinda depends, AMD is trying to get all the X000-series parts on the same number scheme. Looking at Wikipedia, it's mobile parts that seem to have the most overlap, but in general the 4000-series is Zen 2, while 5000 is Zen 3.
yeah - it looks like there are few mobile processors carrying the 5000 series moniker, but are Zen2 underneath. But on desktop, 5000 looks to be exclusively Zen3.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5000-mobile-laptop-architecture/

look to be zen2.
ryzen 7 5700u
ryzen 5 5500u
ryzen 3 5300u

This. The little known thing that made the 4650G somewhat sought after - particularly by extreme overclockers - is the weirdly good memory controller. Achieves mem OCs that Ryzen 5000 is simply incapable of - guys doing 6298Mhz DDR4 on a B550i motherboard using LN2.

Unfortunately the 4650G's on ebay are usually only available from foreign sellers, like from S. Korea last I checked.

This. The little known thing that made the 4650G somewhat sought after - particularly by extreme overclockers - is the weirdly good memory controller. Achieves mem OCs that Ryzen 5000 is simply incapable of - guys doing 6298Mhz DDR4 on a B550i motherboard using LN2.

Unfortunately the 4650G's on ebay are usually only available from foreign sellers, like from S. Korea last I checked.
There's something to be said about warranty as well....

just came across this on ebay

1.jpg

Back