5000 PPD is history, lets go for 10K

zim01

Gawd
Coming the end of the first qtr is a 4 quad core box = 16 cores
4 SMP clients
more info as I get it:

So, taking into account your math skills, that's ~ 6500 PPD off the box?

:p

Is that 2 computers just in one box?

2x power buttons

2x RMA banks (Intel does 1x right?)

2x feeder power

2x video

why HSF look so ghoshed?

Weak.

With enough duck tape I can build you a monster 1 billion PPD box!

I'm more into 1x OS= lots of PPD type deal.

Are those 12 stacked 40mm fans in there? Holy smokes, a rack of those will make you go deaf in about 1.3 seconds.

with enough duck tape I could shut you up...one hell of alot of it though

I don't know who to buy duct tape for.

Marty or Zim.........

Actually we could duct tape them together.....

Very impressive, but I don't know if I'd call that one 5K PPD "box." It's in one case, but the two systems are only connected via a standard network interface as far as I can tell. Anyone can build one of those. :) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very impressive, but I don't know if I'd call that one 5K PPD "box." It's in one case, but the two systems are only connected via a standard network interface as far as I can tell. Anyone can build one of those. :) Correct me if I'm wrong.

You wrong.

See if you enter the zim dimension anything is possible. The Internet is actually just an off shoot of zims left nut in this parallel universe. Moose reigns as all mighty in said universe with unhappy_mage standing on the corner telling jokes, punny joke, on the street corner.

Opps, I think I just mixed 2.5 parallel universes...

Yeah, I think the 10K PPD box should have one major rule, Only one motherboard allowed. I can build a box for you with 10 motherboards, booting off a single HDD over a network with a small window unit air conditioner that will run some monsterous PPD, and an electric bill that would make a nuclear plant cry...but that just makes it a cluster in a box. I'm not saying that I don't want that rack...or 20 of them...to boost my PPD, I'm just saying that sharing a single box does not make it a single PC.

[/rant]

If we're going to go that far, you can get 80 cores in a 7U enclosure with a set of Dell blades. Are we going for single host OS or just single enclosure? Also, if you choose a single motherboard setup, that's going to eliminate most 8 socket boxes...

I wonder how that would use less power than 2x of the same computers. The only shared component would be the PSU-- PSU efficiency would be the only perk I can see.

I imagine it's more for space, two complete systems in a 1U enclosure should provide significant space savings and rack density can sometimes be as important as performance per watt depending on the data center.

I imagine it's more for space, two complete systems in a 1U enclosure should provide significant space savings and rack density can sometimes be as important as performance per watt depending on the data center.

In the write up one of the pitches was power savings which is why I asked. Obviously a nice space saving.

Are those 12 stacked 40mm fans in there? Holy smokes, a rack of those will make you go deaf in about 1.3 seconds.

Yeah, we just got 2 sun boxes @ work with a similar configuration - they're almost as loud as our Dell Blade racks (thats 10 computers a rack).

One's a 2U with a SPARC chip and 6x 80mm fans, and the other is a 1U with 2x 285's and 8 or 10 40mm fans. LOUD.

You wrong.

See if you enter the zim dimension anything is possible. The Internet is actually just an off shoot of zims left nut in this parallel universe. Moose reigns as all mighty in said universe with unhappy_mage standing on the corner telling jokes, punny joke, on the street corner.

Opps, I think I just mixed 2.5 parallel universes...

That’s ok because there are actually 5 dimensions in the universe;)

Back