5000+ BE overclocking and QnC

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
okay so i have a 5000+ BE in my HTPC and it hits 3.0ghz no problem, stock cooling and vcore. I also want to use cool n quite so that my room doesnt heat up more than it has to... as my HTPC stays on 24/7 and i really only need the 3.0ghz while gaming on it.

here in lies the problem: when i enable cool n quite in the bios and then in Vista's power management i put it at 100% performance, but it only goes back to the stock 13x multi not the 15x I have set in the bios.

and one have any idea how I can have my cake and eat it too :D

Unfortunately that's one of the caveats of QnC, that you can't have multiplier overclocks stick. You could try overclocking through the HTT or whatever it's called to get to your 3.0ghz. But the 15 x 200 at stock voltage is nice. I'm not an expert, but even with the overall speed being higher, the fact that it's on stock voltage should keep temps down. Unless I'm way off.

I dled Nero vision 3.0.25 or something and it said their are known compatibility issues and it wouldn't install.

Have you ever heard of RMClock? It's software that lefts to set multiplier and voltages to run your CPU at. It worked quite well with my FX55. Let me set the multi to 4x when I was just surfing the web and then set the multi to 14x when I wanted to play games. If I ever get an unlocked CPU I will probably use that again.

I also use it to undervolt my overheating laptop ;)

Have you ever heard of RMClock?

i have and used it on my 939 server for a long time..... if it works with vista ill give it a try, i like to have the least amount of things in startup as possible but this might be a good one to try.

Don't know about what board you have nor if am2 changed anything but my 939 DFI board allows me to run at max speed for games and then cuts it in half for idle operation.

I have my board set to 270x10,10 being the highest my locked mutli will go, can go lower but why? Locked multi is not such a big deal with integrated memory controllers. Just set the ram around what it is capable of doing and go with it. I run mine at 5/6 x 270 = 225 at stock voltage.

So 2.7ghz at full bore, the not quite full is 9x270 and then idle is 5x270. So I idle at 1.35 ghz and my voltage drops work fine as well. DFI has a feature that allows increase voltage for OC but it works with CNQ. My stock voltage is 1.35v, so for 2.7ghz I run 1.35 x 113% for around 1.53v. At idle it runs 1.1v x 113% so 1.24v. I run passive at idle with all fans being controlled by the motherboard off, and they turn on as temps increase.

This motherboard is 3 years old and it could do all these things out of the box. I would hope that newer boards can do this as well, but it may be a DFI specific feature that others have not adapted.

it will run an oced FSB fine, it just isnt using my bios set multi, instead it is using the CPUs spec multi as the max. the mobo is a m-atx HTPC non over clocker so the unlocked multi is great for a board like this...

i had a dfi sli-dr with an opty 165 that was at 3.3ghz on DD water like 2 years ago...

i am going to spend some time tomorrow with RMclock

i have a 5000+ BE and cool&quiet working. i'm using rmclock. you may have to fiddle with stuff in the bios to get it working properly, but it does work :D usually you have to do stuff like set the voltage and multiplier to auto and enable cool&quiet in the bios

also, the sweet thing about the BE's.. mine works at 2ghz with 1v. talk about good power/performance ;)

Back