500 Million ASUS Motherboards. The Celebration Starts at [H]. - Lucky Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first motherboard as an enthusiast was the Abit IC7-Max. in 2005. My first Asus motherboard in 2006 was the A8N SLI 32 with a AMD FX60 then later the FX62. In 2012 the P8Z77-LGA. I currently run that set up with a I-7 3770K with a everyday OC of 4.5 on H20.

In 2006 I started a side business as a hobby building gaming rigs for my buddies on-line. To date the count is 300 high end PC's as gaming, workstations and photo-shop rigs. Asus sports each and every tray as the heart of the system. I would not have it any other way.

The quality, craftsmanship and technology used in ASUS motherboards has and is still impeccable. To this day I have never had a call back, RMA or replacement of an ASUS motherboard. I've had incredible service with ASUS with two GPU's once in 2007 and another in 2012 and both times they sent new cards in a few days of receiving my RMA cards. I can not say enough about how happy I am to fly the ASUS flag.

I was a first gen adopter when the i7 920 processor first came out. Had the ASUS P6T Deluxe.

I ran that mobo HARD for like 3 years (yes, oc'ed) until one day my PSU had a short and killed the whole system. Loved that board, and never regretted being a first gen adopter!

Hello everybody,

I am Eduardo from El Salvador! I have been a LONG time lurker of HardOCP and the Hardforum, but this is my first post. I didn't see the usual "US except Rhode Island" elegibility for this giveaway, so I thought, hey, lets give it a shot!

On my story with ASUS boards... a little bit of background: I own the infamous XFX X58i board, and I just got a new GTX 970 to replace my old 9800GT. Getting it to work was [H]ard :eek:, but I finally got it running on Sunday. All that while, in most forums I visited about the X58, everybody was raving about how great and problem free their Sabertooth or their P6T (especially the P6T!) were. And I just wanted to kick myself for not getting the P6T all those years ago.

So to convey my feeling of despair during all my installation problems from last week, I went ahead and modded "The Raven" from Edgar Allan Poe. So now I give you my story with an ASUS motherboard: "The Owl"... (recline on thy chair for this one is long)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over my most misfortunate choice of an odd XFX board—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a flashing,
As of some one gently gleaming, gleaming at my monitor.
“’Dat some motherboard,” I muttered, “gleaming at my monitor—
Oh! Dat ASUS motherboard.”

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
When I bought a gtx nine seventy for its gaming joy.
Eagerly I installed it;—but then I was brought to horror
Which then turned into a great sorrow—sorrow for my motherboard—
For it was the infamous "x fifty eight i" that I bore—
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken, sad, uncertain challenge of installing the card
Thrilled me—filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
"The XFX might not give trouble dreaded in forum posts—
Where the new Nvidias conflicted with the audio on board;—
This it is and nothing more.”

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
“I,” said I, “have a sound card on my next pci-x slot;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came flashing,
And so faintly you came gleaming, gleaming at my monitor,
That I scarce was sure I saw you”—here I opened wide my eyes;—
Oh! Dat ASUS motherboard.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, “Failure”
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, “Failure!”—
Merely this and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I saw a flashing somewhat brighter than before.
“Surely,” said I, “surely that is something at my windowed browser;
Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore—
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore;—
’Tis trollin' and nothing more!”

Here I flung the darn computer, when, with many a fizz and sputter,
Out of it stepped a stately Owl of the Strix co-processor;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door—
Perched upon a bust of Gaben just above my chamber door—
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Owl wandering from the cursed motherboard—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Owl “ Asus board.”

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door—
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as “ Asus board.”

But the Strix Owl, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
Those two words, as if his soul in those two words he did outpour.
Nothing farther then he uttered—not a feather then he fluttered—
Till I scarcely more than muttered “Other gamers have had success—
On the morrow he will leave me, as my card will fit my board.”
Then the bird said “Asus board.”

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
“Doubtless,” said I, “what it utters is its only stock and store
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore—
Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore
Of ‘Asus board’.”

But the Strix Owl still beguiling all my fancy into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird, and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore—
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking “Asus board.”

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom’s core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion’s velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o’er,
But whose velvet-violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o’er,
should 'ave got, ah, the Asus board!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
“Wretch,” I cried, “thy God hath lent thee—by these angels he hath sent thee
Respite—respite and nepenthe from my grand failure with this board;
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this motherboard!”
Quoth the Owl “Asus board.”

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!—
Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this video card enchanted—
On this board by Horror haunted—tell me truly, I implore—
Are there—are there ways to install it?—tell me—tell me, I implore!”

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us—by that God we both adore—
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, with the older video card aided,
It shall clasp in the last pci-x slot and be disabled—
And the Nvidia with my onboard sound shall quarrel no more."

“Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!” I shrieked, upstarting—
“Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!”

And the Strix Owl, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Gaben just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul knew that back in that moment all those years ago
I should 'ave got—the Asus board!

Last edited:
I've only ever dealt with an ASUS P5K board that was in the PC of one of my family members. Did it's job, was stable, and probably still works to this day.

My only experience with Asus motherboards is secretly pining for one. I have never made the smart choice to pay more for the better motherboard. I have always regretted that decision. I plan to spend some extra $$ and get myself a good MB with my next build.

About 20 years ago when I was about 14-15 years old my family bought our first computer and I remember it was a Packard Bell DX486. It cost $1,500 and we were so excited to have one. It was 66MHz!! It had 4MB of RAM. Good times.

I took to it like a fish to water. Soon after I realized I wanted more power and so I started looking into building my own.

My family had this friend who was really into computers and he introduced me to the idea of trade shows. This is before Newegg and Google existed and the Internet was accessed through AOL.

So my family's friend takes me to this show and it is HUGE. I mean huge. So many vendors and parts to buy. He is really showing me how to navigate this show and vendors.

I have a list of parts needed to build a PC. Memory, Monitor, hard drive, etc. and I'll never forget what he said to me. He turns to me and sees the list and points to motherboard and says ASUS. I'd never heard of them before so my response was "huh?"

He said you only want to get an ASUS motherboard anything else is crap. So I proceeded to buy an ASUS motherboard. They were brown back then before everyone made black mobo's.

When I got everything home and set it up everything worked beautifully. That motherboard worked for years without fail and I never forgot that advice.

Since then I have built countless PCs for family and friends and I give them all the same advice I was given all those years ago. You want ASUS.

My ASUS story is as follows,

While building my first computer (Pentium 200 MMX), I did a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that an ASUS board (I can't remember which one) was my best bet. I was never disappointed in that system.

Ever since I retired my ABIT IC7-Max3 I've had nothing but ASUS motherboards. I use them quite frequently in builds for friends and family as well. Big fan of their motherboards and videocards.

My first DIY build was actually for my father, and because he insisted on using an ASUS motherboard, I ended up getting him an ASUS Z87-Plus. Luckily I did, as ASUS was the only manufacturer (at the time) that had the capability to update the BIOS on the motherboard without a compatible CPU. Their USB BIOS flashback saved the build because I'd picked up a Haswell Refresh CPU without realizing that I had to be the one to update the BIOS for the parts to be compatible.

IMO ASUS may not always have the longest list of features for any given price point, but the ones they include are often some of the most useful.

My very first Asus board was an A7V8X.

Easily the fastest booting mobo I ever had at the time.

Very overclocable and stable.

Unfortunately it suffered a horrible death because of a water leak from the ceiling. It did boot after cleaning it up but USB ports and audio didn't work and it was very unstable.

Today I have a Z87 Pro and I couldn't be happier.

My P6T has been running rock solid since the day I purchased it. I've had 3 hard drives fail, case fans that have died, a power supply swap and this thing just keeps ticking. Thanks ASUS

I have had several Asus MB's since 2000. Was never disappointed with them. Good and solid

The only Asus motherboard I had was an A8-something AMD board I bought in a surplus sale long after AMD lost the cpu crown and sold on ebay for cheap. I did at onetime own a GeForce1 DDR video card when they were king of GPU's abd it was of course AWESOME.

I was chasing someone in a CS game online about to waste them when all of a sudden my screen became colorfully pixelated. My wonderful Asus died suddenly, killed by an overzelous overclock no doubt :p

I am using an MSI board right now, but that is because there was a component on my Asus motherboard that was preventing me from installing one of my graphics cards properly. Before that, I was using an Asus board in my Pentium 4 rig for quite some time.

I am going to buy an Asus board for the PC that I am building this year though. As people have stated before, Asus boards are known for their build quality, reliability, features and value.

I finally retired a P4C800 Deluxe (2003) last year. That build was handed down to three different family members after I stopped using it in 2007. The last user was my 74 y.o. mom, who uses a tablet now.

Using an ASUS board in my current rig. The P8Z77-V PRO. I had a positive experience with RMA, the audio chip onboard died and they did an advanced swap so I had no downtime. I wouldn't ever purchase one of their laptops though, that RMA experience sucked.

My last three motherboards were made by ASUS. The reason I keep buying them is because I consistently get solid overclocks. In my opinion, they are the only choice for enthusiasts.

First ever board was an Asus A8V socket 939... that thing lasted forever. Started with a 3500+ and replaced it with an Opteron 185. I even had one of those AGP HD3850s!

My first Asus motherboard was SK8N, which I got at the 2003 launch party of the Athlon64 and Athlon64 FX. It ran the first FX processor FX-51, and it still works today, although I retired it from service at the end of 2009.

Other Asus motherboards I've owned since then: K7V (for a retro build), A8N-E, A8N-SLI Deluxe, two L1N64-SLI, P5N-MX, M4A78T-E, F1A75-V Pro, and F2A85-M Pro. So it seems that I contributed 10 to the 500,000,000. Wow that's 0.000002% of the motherboards sold!

Had an M4A77TD paired with a Phenom X2 back in 2011. Unlocked the other 2 cores and overclocked to 4.0 ghz easy peasy. Still running on the backup PC to this day.

My first experience was the ever so famous, Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Probably one of the best overclocking boards for the Athlon XP series.

Next board was the Asus A8N Sli Premium because I wanted to go fanless since I had heard about the fans going bad on other boards. The heatpipe worked extremely well.

The last Asus motherboard I've owned was the ASUS P5G41T-M. Which is still in use in my parents computer with a Q6600. I've never had an Asus board fail (knocks on wood).

I've been working with Asus hardware for a long time. I remember the first computer build I looked at and said "Damn! That's really bad ass!" was built on a dual PIII motherboard with a 3DFX sli setup. That seems like only yesterday ....

For the past several years ASUS has been the brand to beat. My current board was purchased slightly used and has run flawlessly for years. It's run so well that I had forgotten that it was used.

My first real OC attempt build was using an P8Z68-V/GEN3. The board was really affordable, and had crazy granular voltage control that make squeezing out a few extra mhz a breeze...

Ever since, if I'm building a system I look for ASUS parts first. I've had too many issues with instability with some other manufacturers.

I bought a bunch of ASUS boards once. Bush was in office. times were good.

Hello everybody,

I am Eduardo from El Salvador! I have been a LONG time lurker of HardOCP and the Hardforum, but this is my first post. I didn't see the usual "US except Rhode Island" elegibility for this giveaway, so I thought, hey, lets give it a shot!

On my story with ASUS boards... a little bit of background: I own the infamous XFX X58i board, and I just got a new GTX 970 to replace my old 9800GT. Getting it to work was [H]ard :eek:, but I finally got it running on Sunday. All that while, in most forums I visited about the X58, everybody was raving about how great and problem free their Sabertooth or their P6T (especially the P6T!) were. And I just wanted to kick myself for not getting the P6T all those years ago.

So to convey my feeling of despair during all my installation problems from last week, I went ahead and modded "The Raven" from Edgar Allan Poe. So now I give you my story with an ASUS motherboard: "The Owl"... (recline on thy chair for this one is long)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over my most misfortunate choice of an odd XFX board—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a flashing,
As of some one gently gleaming, gleaming at my monitor.
“’Dat some motherboard,” I muttered, “gleaming at my monitor—
Oh! Dat ASUS motherboard.”

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
When I bought a gtx nine seventy for its gaming joy.
Eagerly I installed it;—but then I was brought to horror
Which then turned into a great sorrow—sorrow for my motherboard—
For it was the infamous "x fifty eight i" that I bore—
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken, sad, uncertain challenge of installing the card
Thrilled me—filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
"The XFX might not give trouble dreaded in forum posts—
Where the new Nvidias conflicted with the audio on board;—
This it is and nothing more.”

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
“I,” said I, “have a sound card on my next pci-x slot;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came flashing,
And so faintly you came gleaming, gleaming at my monitor,
That I scarce was sure I saw you”—here I opened wide my eyes;—
Oh! Dat ASUS motherboard.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, “Failure”
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, “Failure!”—
Merely this and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I saw a flashing somewhat brighter than before.
“Surely,” said I, “surely that is something at my windowed browser;
Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore—
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore;—
’Tis trollin' and nothing more!”

Here I flung the darn computer, when, with many a fizz and sputter,
Out of it stepped a stately Owl of the Strix co-processor;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door—
Perched upon a bust of Gaben just above my chamber door—
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Owl wandering from the cursed motherboard—
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”
Quoth the Owl “ Asus board.”

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door—
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as “ Asus board.”

But the Strix Owl, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
Those two words, as if his soul in those two words he did outpour.
Nothing farther then he uttered—not a feather then he fluttered—
Till I scarcely more than muttered “Other gamers have had success—
On the morrow he will leave me, as my card will fit my board.”
Then the bird said “Asus board.”

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
“Doubtless,” said I, “what it utters is its only stock and store
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore—
Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore
Of ‘Asus board’.”

But the Strix Owl still beguiling all my fancy into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird, and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore—
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking “Asus board.”

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom’s core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion’s velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o’er,
But whose velvet-violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o’er,
should 'ave got, ah, the Asus board!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
“Wretch,” I cried, “thy God hath lent thee—by these angels he hath sent thee
Respite—respite and nepenthe from my grand failure with this board;
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this motherboard!”

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!—
Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this video card enchanted—
On this board by Horror haunted—tell me truly, I implore—
Are there—are there ways to install it?—tell me—tell me, I implore!”

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us—by that God we both adore—
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, with the older video card aided,
It shall clasp in the last pci-x slot and be disabled—
And the Nvidia with my onboard sound shall quarrel no more."

“Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!” I shrieked, upstarting—
“Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!”

And the Strix Owl, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Gaben just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul knew that back in that moment all those years ago
I should 'ave got—the Asus board!

That's your 1st post? WOW! :D
hmm..it just so happens i have a nice Asus x58 board..or two :rolleyes:

I've had an experience with Asus boards that is quite lacking, and frankly I don't think I'll ever be buying an Asus product again. However, I like free stuff, and if it's given to me I'll probably use it, which may change my opinion later on down the road.

Since I have to tell a story to qualify: The last board that I used that didn't have any issues with was a M4A785TD-V Evo. Come to think of it, I've never had an issue with Asus AMD boards, only Asus Intel boards. Too bad AMD processors aren't the powerhouses that they used to be. I remember when AMD had to put a Pentium rating on their CPUs so that people could understand that you could get the same performance out of a lower clock speed... but that rant is for another thread and another day.

First builds I went with cheap motherboards that just got me by for like 80$ but kept having to RMA for every little thing

Switched to ASUS 2 builds ago and now recommend them to all my friends and family for new builds just for the fact that I've had no problems since the switch.

I have owed about 10 asus boards over the years and none of them have failed me.

This makes me miss my old M2n-SLI Deluxe. One of the first boards I ever built with.

Asus always gets the job done. Tries MSI once, the mobo wasnt compatible with the hard drives I had picked up at the same time. Asus had already patched the issue with a bios update.

Been a long time user of Asus products and especially love the Sabertooth, ROG, and DC2 products. I have yet to own a STRIX GPU but would love to have one!!! I've owned several Sabertooth boards from almost every socket its been made for.

Gotta love that TOUGH ARMOR! Sabertooth is my favorite motherboard line (I've owned 5 different ones over the last 4 years)

Anyway ASUS products just plain work...and if something goes wrong they fix it in a snap. I've only had to RMA one ASUS board and it was processed much quicker than I had expected.

I have had many Asus boards.
They always work.
I still run three every day.

I always say this.
Ive never won a damn thing in over 10 years here.
Come on man.

I always buy ASUS motherboards, for myself at least

I've only had one die (when I scraped some transistors off the back of it)
it wasn't intentional, it was a Crosshair V :(

ASUS was my first motherboard brand I used in my first custom build and I never looked back! After overclocking it without issue I knew I had found my mother of all boards pun intended! I've had nothing but great experience with ASUS hardware and would love the chance to get my hands on some of the new tech.. I've not used the STRIX GPU nor any GPU from ASUS but given their track record with me I'd love to have the chance to try it out! :D

I have used several different brands of motherboards in the past ten years and ASUS has been the one I have enjoyed the most. My best experience with ASUS would be the last one that I have purchased. I had a system with another brand of motherboard that worked alright but I had a lot of trouble with configuring the BIOS the way i wanted it and optimizing my boot times etc... I purchased an ASUS H87I-PLUS motherboard to replace it and I was amazed at the features and ease of setup.

Not only was I able to find everything I needed very quickly but there are so many features available on the new BIOS that ASUS uses that its unreal. I was able to configure my system with a few clicks to boot way faster than before as well as lower power draw. I went from 25 second boot times with my SSD down to less than 10! I was also able to drop the power usage from idle near 60 watts to ~30 watts! This took less than 5 minutes of setup. They make a great product and have superior features, in my opinion, than most other boards for the same price.

I've stuck with Asus mb's since the P-III days. Ease of OCing and features keep me coming back..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back