500 Million ASUS Motherboards. The Celebration Starts at [H]. - Lucky Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt that the sabertooth with the ducting and dust covers has been the coolest board. I just wish we could use an 80mm fan of our choice rather than a small noisy one...

What is now my utility rig is a P5W DH Deluxe. It's been a solid board that's never let me down - tho PSU's and Video Cards attached to it most definitely have!

My last Asus Motherboard was... an Asus A7A266. :eek:

Yes, you read that right. Overdue for another Asus MB!

I have owned several Asus motherboards over the years. From back in the Celeron 300 sandwich days to my current Z68 based board (in need of upgrade please pick me!!). I've owned about a dozen Asus boards over the past 20 years, and they're my go-to brand for any new build.

Once upon a time, I bought a M3N-HT Deluxe, an Athlon X2 7750, and 4GB DDR2. The amount of features on the 'deluxe' brand boards is most pleasant. Having eSATA (years before USB3.0 became a thing) was the bomb. Being able to write the BIOS and then drop in a Phenom II X4 945 was also great.

In more recent times, the P8Z68-V Pro has been awesome as well. The UEFI BIOS is better than any competitors' UEFI I've tried. It's also overflowing with OC and other tweak options.

For my very first build, I went with ASUS. I received a motherboard that would not POST. Returned this to monarchcomputer.com and received a replacement that would POST, but the IDE ports were inoperable.

This return never made it back to monarchcomputer. UPS lost my box and it took SIX WEEKS to see my insurance check.

Spent this insurance check on an ABIT KG7-RAID that ran like a dream. (8 weeks and much frustration later)

Should I also mention the ASUS Xonar Xense soundcard that I had, that had horrible distortion on the center channel? I lived with this for several years until I sold it. (This was replaced with a perfectly working SoundBlaster ZXR)

How about the ASUS 280 GTX that had strobe light fast flickering of the onboard lighting whenever a game would launch, just to crash to desktop 10 seconds later? (This was RMA swapped with Newegg for a MSI 280 GTX that ran fine)

Having said all of that, I do like my ASUS 26" 1920x1200 VW266H monitor. I made sure I bought it locally for easy return in case of disaster.

Last edited:
Built a computer for my dad running an Athlon 64 X2 3800 and an ASUS M3A78-EM. Still running rock solid stable all these years in his garage. =)

One of my favorite motherboards that I used for a LONG LONG LONG time in my Home Theater PC was the ASUS P5Q-EM. I loved that board so much, when it eventually failed I bought the P5Q-E as a replacement for it!

ASUS is a brand I trust, I would not use just any brand for my HTPC, the Wrath of Wife (Khan is an amateur in comparison) is something to not trifle with! :)

I do not have a history with Asus, always assumed other brands better!

They can change my point of view by awarding me a z97 motherboard and a new nvidia GPU modified by Asus and make me a happy middle aged man!

Seriously, I am a broke disabled combat veteran who just lost a hip and had it replaced with a metal one. Now I am having some not so nice complications. On top of the unbearable pain, my left broken hip needs replaced and hurts. IT is my life and I wanted it to be a life long career.

Currently it does not look like any dreams are coming true! :-(

Also my B-day is couple days away. Crossing my fingers I randomly get chosen!

Thank you HardOCP and Asus!

Ever since the Asus P2B motherboard that I ran back in the day .. I have had a fondness for ASUS

I've used many a Asus motherboard and video cards over the years. I would sure love to have Strix GTX980 to go with my recent Z97 Impact board. Time to retire the HD5850. Help me out! :)

I started late and with a Gigabyte motherboard, and from all reviews online I wish I'd had gotten an Asus motherboard instead. Had ghost issues and wasn't even able to overclock with stability. I then picked up an Asus board, and it's like comparing night and day - no ghosts, no issues, does what it does best. Definitely sticking with Asus. Have yet to try any Asus video card and am in need of a great reliable video card that won't break on me like EVGA brand did.

I'll share another horror story as well. I had a Sabertooth Z77. Everything was great until my CPU died. Weird, but it happens I guess. I buy a new CPU. A month later it dies as well. Now between this time I had replaced the memory and the power supply, so I was fairly certain those two items were not the cause. Time to RMA the board.

Well, that didn't go so well. The first board is processed through cross-ship. I get it fairly quick. Unfortunately, this new board is giving off memory errors. Time to RMA again. This time they won't cross-ship as they only allow one per year. It makes no sense, but whatever. Three weeks later I finally get a third board. A board that didn't have the socket cover secured so it dug into the pins and damaged the socket.

So at this point I'm pretty livid. I setup another RMA. They tell me they will offer me a sort of cross-ship program where they will ship the replacement as soon as they get notice that I've sent back my board. I do it, send off the notice to the team. I wait, and wait. Days go by and no tracking number. I call support and the a**hole has the nerve to tell me that I wasn't supposed to send the board until I received my new one. I ask I him if he would like me to read the emailed instructions word for word. He still argues with me. What the hell, right? Anyways, they still don't actually ship me my replacement until mine finally arrives there. I end up not having a working motherboard for two months. Worst support I have ever dealt with next to Comcast.

That said, They make excellent products. I've been buying them for decades and that was my only hardware issue ever. For everyone's sake, I hope you never have to deal with their support. Even with that horror story, I'll probably buy again.

My very first computer build was with an Asus A7A266. The build after that one also used an Asus motherboard, A8V Deluxe. Great motherboards that was very stable. Unfortunately, that was my only custom built computers. I went with laptops and pre-built systems after those. Hoping to get back to building my own PC with this great giveaway.

I paid a small premium to pick up a ASUS CUSL2 back in the day along side my PE 700E. I had that chip overclocked to 1035Mhz thanks to this board. I was WAY ahead in the race for the 1Ghz club. It felt like I was king of the world for years until 1Ghz procs where finally released and affordable!

my history with Asus started rather recently with a M4A78T-E that was given to me from a friend as he had upgraded his computer. The motherboard itself has been rock solid and has stood up to my friends abuse and will spend the rest of it's days chugging away in my first ever HTPC. So far my experience has been a steller one!

Aside from a parts build I didn't choose myself, my only ASUS board was the M3N78 Pro. The motherboard was entirely solid for the roughly 4 years I had used it for, aside from one issue. For whatever reason I started getting BSODs after over a year of stable use. So I downgraded the BIOS version which solved the BSOD problems. Motherboard had been solid ever since.

Asus motherboards have always been my go to brand. Win OS software to control the bios and the new UEFI bios are great. Sounds cards, GPUs, motherboards, laptops, and monitors have always had a good experience with Asus. Best part is they come on the forums with guides and support.

Since the Abit days i've never had another board other than Asus.

Current Asus RIVE is at -11c (yes frozen) and it runs like this day in day out for over a year now, can't ask for much more than that - its like been in a blizzard all year round.

Well, this one is certainly getting the old memory cells firing again. :)

My experience with Asus motherboards was generally bleeding edge stuff.

I recall back to my p3v4x. Cool, I remembered the code for it. I remember it had an awesome amount of pci slots which I had fully populated at a point with sli voodoo2, sound card, it had an isa slot too, which is something that was on the way out a the time. Oh yea, network cards, scsi, etc. I remember my whole computer back panels was crammed full. It also had the best via chipset available at the time and also had a great fsb selection. It saw me through the p3 era.

Next I remember I had an asus a7v133. I recall there was some sort of soldering mod you could do to the attached power regulator board behind the rear board connections for more volts. It allowed me to overclock my duron 650 to 1ghz. Quite the feat back then.

I then went an a7v333. It also had onboard promise raid, which I can't recall why right now, may have been updating it, but I do recall playing around with "unpacking" the bios file with a special utility and inserting new bios rom for the onboard controller. And good old agp pro. Anyone actually have one of those? I didn't.

EDIT: actually, on the bios mod thing, I think it may have been the 133, or even the 266, I went through just about every new model back in this era, you could solder a resistor on the back of the extra drive connectors to enable hardware raid, and that is why I inserted the raid rom into the bios file. Pure mods back then. :)

Those were the old days of hard core self mods and overclocking with jumpers and dip switches for sure.

Sadly for the next few I can't recall the motherboard models, but they were asus.

Following that was the dawn of 64bit computing and amd s754 Athlons. All on asus motherboards.

Next was the socket 939.

Next it sort of went to mediocrity with, gee, I can't recall right now, but it was a s775 board. Was a mistake moving to intel at that point in time. I actually still have this one in a working system, it was a dual core Pentium.

Finally, that I can remember anyway, I had at a point as a novelty, an asus board that had the cpus attach via a daughter board. I had the dual Pentium pro and dual socket 7 boards for it. The base board was the same, you just had to swap bios chips when you swapped cpu types. I sold that, but I do still have a socket 4 board. Quite the rare treasure, also have both Pentium 60 and 66 chips for it.

So my general computing through the exciting, as well as the pita 90's / 00's was mostly dominated by Asus and what was generally bleeding edge technology at the time, like no one else did the same thing, Asus was the only one to wow me back then, especially that p3v4x

Last edited:
From my first build in 2001 up to my current (and aging) system I have always used Asus motherboards. My current system is built on an Asus Commando Motherboard and have been running 400FSB / 33% OC on my lowly E6600 since 2007.

I continue to be impressed with the board and CPU and when I build again this year I'll once again go for an Asus motherboard.

My first Asus board was a Rampage III Extreme. It had more features than any other brand board I had ever purchased before. What really sold me was the little blocks for hooking up the case to plug them into the mobo. It made everything so much easier and faster. Ever since when I have a new build, Asus is my first choice. After owning a few different models now, I find they always work.

Currently have 4 M5A99FX PRO R2s in my mining farm that ran rock-solid with 5 270s each back when the op was still on. Loved them because they were one of the few types of boards to detect all 5 cards using PCI-e x1 extenders without having to move stuff around. Any miner will know that only certain boards could pull this off.

For personal use, my very first Athlon S939 board was an A8N-SLI. Loved it, overclocked it, smoked tons of P4 intel fanboys in SANDRA using it combined with an FX55. Then the Core chips showed up and stole all my fun. :x

Since 2003 I have used nothing but ASUS motherboards for my computer builds. Ever since I purchased a Vapochill LS I have stuck with either the Rampage Series or Maximus series for my overclocking board. I have had 0 boards die on me or provide sub-par performance. Asus is a brand I can trust for all of my builds.

Went from an X79 gene to the x99 Rampage. No complaints here. Ordered it from the Internet, installed it, and it has been working since.

I remember really wanting the Rampage 3 black edition but it was just so expensive and released so late into the game that it didn't make sense for the budget oriented, especially since I was only running a 930 at the time and not some hexacore monster.

I have been building PCs since the early 90s, and would estimate that at least 75% of the PCs i have built have used an Asus motherboard, I find them well priced, reliable, and feature rich.

I am currently running a Asus M5A99FX as the backbone of my personal use desktop.

My first homebuilt computer (Pentium w/MMX) had an Asus mobo! Still running Asus to this day (Rampage II Gene)

THE very first motherboard I ever bought was an Asus K7v for my AMD Athlon just a week or so after it's introduction, I had bought it at a computer show and opted to go for the 750Mhz CPU. This was my first ever built system. I went home and put it all together, booted it up, turned on DOS disk caching and started to install windows. I remember hitting enter a few times but before my conversation with a friend went too far it was done!

After that came many great years of service but as all things technology do, it became obsolete. I went on to another system (also an Asus board, and hold on to this.) I had need of a server and I decided rather than use any of the very large and power hungry old servers at work I'd just use my K7v, I put it in my closet and let it run. It ran until some time last year. It outlasted a few power supplies, a handful of hard drives, two cases, countless fans, and lets not count the dust bunnies. It ran around the clock and most times terrible conditions. Stable as a rock (if the PSU let it) and it all still fine. It's only a few feet away from me right now at work and I could run it if I wanted, I can't bring myself to recycle it. I replaced it as I would be hard pressed to replace the IDE Drives in it and I wanted a little more power. So I replaced it with that second Asus board I told you about, I've had zero issues with it.

I cannot say that any other Manufacture's boards have lasted that long or been that stable. I use to think that it was standard but I've learned that this isn't true.

My latest upgrade was also my first time with an ASUS motherboard. In the past, I had gone with MSI. I don't really remember why I first chose MSI, but I did, and I stuck with them for a couple of builds. My last MSI motherboard left me not quite satisfied. This last PC upgrade however, I had decided I needed a change. I knew I was going Z97, and after researching, I chose the ASUS Maximus VI Formula. After using this motherboard for almost a year, I would definitely say I love my ASUS motherboard. It has been rock solid.

Now, I'm saving up money to build my daughter her first desktop. She has been using my wife's old notebook, but it is getting long in the tooth. My daughter is currently wanting to be a Software Engineer when she grows up, so I'm trying to build her a great computer to help start her learning how to code (also for gaming, as she does that mostly on my desktop). This would make a great start towards that computer.

I use to always wish I could afford a high end board that could overclock to the moon. I use to think good overclocks and performance would only be possible if I spent lots of money. That's until I switched to Asus from my P55 to Z87 upgrade. Love at first use. Their Asus suite and fan expert 2 is my favorite software. Overclocks are on par with the others around the web. Nothing more I can ask for. That's until I saw the price. Very affordable after all these features. WoW!

On multiple different occasions I've used ASUS brand motherboards. I look to ASUS not only for stability, reliability, but their additions to quality in tweaking your computer to run the way you really want it to.

Example: My Asus Rampage II Gene
About 6 years ago I built my i7-920 machine that I still use almost daily. It had features on board that were a little before their time, which is why I chose this model. I didn't need all of the PCI-E slots of a full motherboard, but going with a smaller form factor did not handicap me from other features. I use the hell out of this motherboard with it's integration of the Intel XMP Memory Profile. I also push the SATA-II bandwidth with my Samsung SSD. Any hardware glitches I've had were due to other peripherals. The BIOS was very full of utilities and tools that would allow me to customize this machine to do almost anything given the Socket and Chipset limitations.

When I move on to another build I will still utilize this machine in some way, probably as a home automation + Entertainment server tucked away in a closet somewhere.I know I would be able to do this because I trust the uptime of a machine with an ASUS brand motherboard.

My experience with Asus motherboards is nonexistent. Never had one that I can remember. I had one of there laptops and my main computers monitor is an Asus however and I love them.
I am planning on a computer upgrade soon and I am seriously considering getting an Asus motherboard as there reputation has me really impressed as well as there other products are top notch.

Had an old Asus Motherboard for my old AMD setup. Ran like a beast for years and years until I deicded to upgrade. Hopefully will return eventually when I put this 3570k to bed :)

I've used ASUS motherboards for years. I remember using my P2B to overclock my CPU when the overclocking community was still pretty young. My first dual-core (and later upgraded to quad-core) CPU rested in a P5Q-Pro, which is still in service today. And my current system uses a Z77-based board. All through this time, any system that I've built for friends and family have used ASUS boards. They've always run very well, and even when they had issues, ASUS customer support has always stepped up to get the issue fixed.

A friend of mine knew that I made custom rigs and had asked me if I could make one for him. He had given me the money up front to build the machine and I made a start. I believe I bought a K87 board for the job and ordered all the parts online and everything was going great.. Until I start the machine for the first time. I had failed to check the power supply was set for my countries voltage (240v). The largest of purple sparks jumped from the back of the machine when I switched it on and it left a black sear on the inside of the nice lian-li case I had modded for him.
Thankfully, I think in part to a feature of that particular board, when I tested the system after this rookie mistake everything was working fine and my friend was very happy with his new machine.

I've always purchased ASUS motherboards. Started off in 2004 with their Pentium 4 lineup. I ended up upgrading that 2003/2004 board in 2007 using an adapter (also from ASUS) that allows you to plug in a Pentium M processor onto desktop ASUS mobos. The Pentium M ran like a single core i7 and was once the fastest single core chip you can find (funny how a cool little mobile chip destroyed Intel's own desktop line). I think ASUS was the only company that offered such an adapter, which certainly scores cool points with enthusiasts.

My next ASUS board was one of their first generation LGA 1366 boards. I bought that in early 2009 and it lasted me 4 years. To be honest, I wouldn't have sold it if it had SATA III and USB 3.0 support. It was a rock solid board. The combination of a stable board and a i7 920 that reached 4.0GHZ allowed me to play virtually any game I could get my hands on.

Then in 2012, I upgraded once again, this time to a z77 WS board. Unfortunately after fine-tuning my OC and testing it for a month, it broke down. Only 2 out of 4 RAM slots were working. I went through the ASUS RMA process, and without too much hassle, I had a new board sitting on my desk. I sold it right away and side-graded to a Maximum V Extreme board. I've been running that and a 3770K @ 4.5GHz ever since without any troubles at all.

In early 2013, my ASUS "vanilla" GTX 680 would CTD after an hour or two of gaming. I contacted a support staff at ASUS that I had prior contact with. They were very quick to deliver me a ROG branded version. A free upgrade without any hassle, what more can I ask for?

I'm also currently using a pair of Zenbooks as well. I have both a UX32VD and a UX302LG. Both were quite easy to open up and upgrade with RAM and SSD. I've been impressed with the quality of their laptops and hope that future Zenbooks will continue to improve their upgradability while retaining sleek and light profiles.

Overall, I've been pleased with my ASUS experience. I find their components to be of higher quality than their competitors and love the fact that they're pouring more resources in the competitive gaming/e-sports scene.

Last edited:
Asus motherboards have been hit or miss for me, however RMA has been painless and has not stopped me from using Asus. Asus video cards have always treated me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back