500 GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus Hybrid HDD -- $105 w/ FS

when these are combined with at least 20gb's of SLC then we can talk, until then they are just bad on 2 lvls..

Dunno why you're badmouthing these. Their real world performance is very often better than a velociraptor, for a lot cheaper per gb. By far the fastest 2.5" drive you can get less than $1/gb.

Great drives. No reason to get a solely mechanical drive anymore when you can get one of these.

I have one and enjoy it despite its rather large shortcoming.
Read more at the Seagate forums: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-and/bd-p/Momentus

Public service announcement: Don't buy this expecting a problem-free drive. It's definitely not. It disregards OS power management controls and spins down on its own whenever it feels like it if you have the SD22 firmware. If you have the SD23 firmware, it just never spins down and kills your battery. Seagate has done nothing in months to address this issue.

EDIT: On second thought, don't buy the drive unless you want to continue letting Seagate get away with this crap and making tons of money off of it, too.

I have one and enjoy it despite its rather large shortcoming.
Read more at the Seagate forums: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-and/bd-p/Momentus

Public service announcement: Don't buy this expecting a problem-free drive. It's definitely not. It disregards OS power management controls and spins down on its own whenever it feels like it if you have the SD22 firmware. If you have the SD23 firmware, it just never spins down and kills your battery. Seagate has done nothing in months to address this issue.

EDIT: On second thought, don't buy the drive unless you want to continue letting Seagate get away with this crap and making tons of money off of it, too.

Coming from Seagate, this kind of crap doesn't surprise me.

I wasn't aware of all the problems with this hard drive. Bummer. This explains
The decrease in price. Wouldn't be surprised if this hdd is discontinued.

Which is a shame because it actually seems like a very straightforward idea. Look at small files that get used over and over, copy them to NAND, redirect the file directory to grab from the NAND instead of the platter. Swap out files as frequency dictates.

So would any of this spindle speed power management matter on a desktop if you do not care about power consumption?

So would any of this spindle speed power management matter on a desktop if you do not care about power consumption?

No facts to back this up but this hdd sounds like it doesn't work right and I think the problems from notebooks would carry over to desktops.

is there any software or hardware that would allow you to accomplish the same thing as these hybrids with a real SDD and a regular hard drive? because this IS a good idea, and I've been looking at it for a while, but the hybrid's SSD is too small. I'd like to see it done with 40-60gigs

It is a nice drive. All the benchmarks and reviews found it to be very fast. The idea behind it is a fantastic stepping stone for those that want something faster than a conventional HDD but don't want to spend astronomical amounts of money for a decently sized SSD (read: one that isn't a measly 60 GB). I just think if another company such as WD or Samsung gave a shot at it, they'd make a much better product.

i knew i shouldn't have bought one - a Seagate that is, and when they first came out - but i did it anyway. mine stutters like all the others. no more Seagate drives for me.

It is a nice drive. All the benchmarks and reviews found it to be very fast. The idea behind it is a fantastic stepping stone for those that want something faster than a conventional HDD but don't want to spend astronomical amounts of money for a decently sized SSD (read: one that isn't a measly 60 GB). I just think if another company such as WD or Samsung gave a shot at it, they'd make a much better product.

See I think the idea of it being cost effective is sort of the wrong way to approach it. I would not care if it was alot more expensive if it takes the job of organizing what data goes where off of the user. Right now we have to do that if we use a game less move it to the HDD if we use it more move it back to the SSD. But if these hybrid HDDs shipped with 30 or 60GB ssds and .5 -2 TB hdds and could do a good job of loading all of windows and the filling the drive up with everything else in order of how much it is used they would be very useful even if they went up in price.

On the otherhand a software solution as mentioned could do the samething. Sort of a new type of raid.

Back