$500 budget for CPU/motherboard combo?

jester1176

[H]ard|Gawd
I have had an intel core i7 920 for the last 3 years and it just gave up the ghost. I need to replace it ASAP.

I have a 560 gpu, 12gb of ram and a 750w power supply. I don't overclock so I'm looking for out of the box gaming performance.

Thanks in advance, [H]

Can you list the specific RAM you have? Also what do you do with the computer?

I would have suggested to wait till the end of the month because Ivy Bridge will be released then, if you absolutely can't wait, obvious replacement would be a Z68/Z77 motherboard + 2500K or 2600K if you need the hyper threading feature.

2500K+motherboard will probably cost you $400 or less, specially since you don't need a very high end motherboard because you're not going to overclock anyway.

You can get the non-K version of the processors since you're not planning to overclock at all, but the K version is only around $10-20 more expensive and they'll have better resale value if you ever decided to sell it.

Last edited:
I ended up going with a ASUS Sabertooth Z77 and Core i5 2500k. I decided on the Sabertooth so I could drop an Ivy Bridge in the system in a couple weeks.

Back