$50 Power Supply Roundup

Paul, do I understand you right that you don't see psu weight as a useful consideration any longer? Wow. Do you see big fans or push-pull arrangements (or just whatever type of more efficient cooling) as obsoleting big hunkin' heatsinks? That's a shock and it's hard to leave old habits behind. When I think 2 pounds I think PowMax and leaky caps, you know?

Not completely but more efficient designs can and do have lighter/smaller heatsinks reducing their weight while you can skew your weight like the Koolance or even some of the Solytech units have. The weight really doesn't matter if it has cheap heavy components in it that don't pass testing.

The weight really doesn't matter if it has cheap heavy components in it that don't pass testing.

This is a $50 psu roundup comment thread and I wish I could always afford to be spoiled. LOL. Be a shock and a thrill if anything at $50 passed this testing, huh? I'm lucky if the caps on the $50 psu's I buy don't boil on a hot summer day, just sitting there. There's still a lot of work they can get done, though.

I figure anything like big metal and good airflow in cheap psu's is worth knowing about. The worse they're built, could be the MORE cool running helps.

OTOH, it does seem like availability of other system components with good performance at lower costs, HAS left a little extra to be spent on better psu's. Kind of ooozing that way, for me, at least.

Makes me wonder what the average cost of an aftermarket psu is and whether it actually has changed over the last few years.

Back