50" Plasma + PS3 or Computer Upgrade?

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to get back into gaming but I'm having a hard time deciding on which route to go.

Computer Upgrade
+ a good $1000 cheaper than the plasma/ps3 setup
+ need an upgrade badly for gaming (current: athlon XP, 1GB RAM, AGP X800XT)
- Nehalem & mainstream DDR3 & nV/ATi super-cards will be coming shortly

Plasma + PS3
+ get to play some great games on a great 1080p screen
+ WOW factor
- a good $1000 more than the computer upgrade
- upcoming display technology looks good

What do you folks think?

I think if you get a plasma, make sure to get a Panasonic.

unless you can find a Hotdeal on a Pioneer Kuro.

*also personally I'd get that PS3. some great games now. great games coming. no worries about system requirements. Blu-ray is the real deal.

Yep, that's what my main choice was.
Looking at the Panasonic 50PZ750U for around $2400
Looks like a new 1080p kuro at the same size is a good $1000 more :(

It really depends on much you watch television / movies - if your Plasma is going to be used by an entire family, or you watch a lot of movies, go for the Plasma + PS3 for the games / blu-ray.

Chances are most of the hot PC titles minus 1 or 2 will be on the PS3 anyways... I know I'd personally get much more use out of an HDTV + console (and other than CoD 4 and TF 2, I do ;) )

To be honest, depending on what genres you love, you aren't missing a great deal by not having a blazing fast gaming PC. I'm sure this will cause a flame war, but it's only my opinion, and I own both an HDTV, all three consoles, and a decent gaming PC.

or you get the new TV and then spend the 400-500 from the ps3 on cpu upgrades and then you have a good tv and a decent pc again without the kiddy console side effects :D

500 bucks get u a new processor/mobo/ram and vidcard

Yep, that's what my main choice was.
Looking at the Panasonic 50PZ750U for around $2400
Looks like a new 1080p kuro at the same size is a good $1000 more :(

i would definitely go with the samsung FPT5084 over the panasonic, especially if you can get down on the deal circuit city has had going on for $2199. thats if your going the ps3/plasma route which i would personally would go.

I would either shell out the extra cabbage on an LCD, or save a ton by getting a DLP, very good price/performance value.

My $0.02

or you get the new TV and then spend the 400-500 from the ps3 on cpu upgrades and then you have a good tv and a decent pc again without the kiddy console side effects :D

500 bucks get u a new processor/mobo/ram and vidcard

haha that sounds good to me too.

Choose another TV, I demoed the 42PZ700U. There are too many flaws in that series that made me switch back to LCD. There are no burn in issues with the current crop of plasmas, but the image retention issues are very much present in that particular series. Pic before I returned it

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031742926&postcount=624

Currently using a 71 series Samsung LCD with 120hz Auto Motion Plus

Plasma and PS3 for sure. Since I picked up a Samsung LCD (46" 1080p) and started playing 360 games on it, I can honestly say I've lost just about all interest in PC gaming.

a few more .02c

HDTV's also work as great PC monitors. ;)

I got me a 46" LCD + PS3 combo, just picked up an HDMI>DVI... now playing StarCraft on 46" of goodness (also help frees up an extra monitor so more friends can bring just their towers over=quick lan)

My computer isn't the best, so for most of the current games like UT3, I pick them up for the PS3 (m&kb support for PS3 is so nicea) which runs it really smoothly in 720p. I plan on upgrading, but I kinda want to wait for at least Service Pack 1 for Vista before I consider upgrading. Until then my PS3 is doing just fine (soon Wii)

GL

I say what everyone else is saying. Go with the HDTV and PS3 or dump the PS3 all together and do a nice little upgrade.

Whatever you do, make sure to do a lot of research on the display(s) you are interested in, they all have problems, some are more prevelant than others so make your choice wisely. I usually go to AVSforum.com for my info as the people there are very knowledgeable and very helpful in true comparisons and pros/cons. Unfortunately, I have found the display forum here to be very lacking.

Quick Pros/Cons of DLP/LCD/Plasma

1. DLP: cheaper than others ATM and great pic. However, bulbs are expensive and many will not fair well to off-brand bulbs. Usually the bulbs have to be replaced every 2-3yrs and are around $400-$600 each depending on model. So an extended warrant is worth it on these.
2. LCD: still a very new and budding technology, can output great pic. However, with the ever changing race for better picture, faster response/refresh times and increasing sizes you will run into some problems. Sony = clouding and ghost, Samsung = Price premium, Sharp = Banding, Toshiba = banding, ghosting, plethora of other problems, Vizio = Budget brand so spotty craftsmanship but stellar CS etc.. All in all do your research.
3. Plasma: GREAT Picture! I must say that plasmas can produce absolutely stunning picture with even the crappiest feeds. However, bigger technology (so no ultra-thin, sexy TV for you), glare (though some are coming with coatings to stave this off but it does not get rid of it completely and the non-glare will not look near as good as a DLP or LCD. Still have some major burn-in problems but this is slowly going away however some companies are stopping the production of plasmas as LCD and OLED are the "wave of the future."

In my months (going on 8 now) of research on all of these the LCD seems to be the way to go. Remember that when you go in to a Big Box store that you are not seeing a true HD image or video stream and that 90% of the time their tvs are not calibrated properly (yes you NEED to calibrate them they are not plug and play like a CRT). So of course you will see the $2k or $3k Sony or Sammy LCD look much better than the $1.5k Westy but in fact when properly calibrated they all look just as good as the next with little difference. If you find a couple models that you really, truly like learn how to do some quick calibration on them and then run to your nearest BB or CC and calibrate their feed so you can get a true idea of how they perform. At this point I am at a toss up between the Sony KDL-40S3000 (720p w/ 10bit panel and 10bit processing) or the Vizio VU42LF(which is about $700 cheaper but is 1080p and displays a comparable image).

Just my $0.02

There isn´t that much wow factor with a PS 3 if so you should get a Wii and get people play Wii Sports... They are totally uninterested in my PC and 360 games lol.. How big is your game room? Don´t be foolish and think bigger is better and then realize you are sitting 2 metres away from a 50" screen and getting headaches but it´s cool lol.

If you get a 50" you should sit minimum 3 metres from the screen otherwise you loose absolutely nothing by going for a cheaper smaller screen... Gives a sharper image as well since it´s the same res if you go 1920x1080p.

PC plus plasma screen would be the biggest wow factor for sure apart from Wii... There is no console that can run Crysis. However then your computer gets a bit mega expensive if you are seriously aiming to max that game out lol.

I know people will say burn in but it´s not really an issue with plasma anymore... You can get temporary burn in effects but you have to abuse them quite hard to get permanent burn in... Still a good LCD is a bit more practical for use as computer monitor.

I do have the 360 and it works super with my 32" LCD however PC games is still so much better I hardly use it... Biggest problem with the consoles is the freaking controls if you try to run fps and action games on them lol... And the graphics is not on par with what I am used to and the games are so freaking expensive... If you are a hardcore gamer it´s not really cheaper to game on console versus PC... PC has more expensive hardware but much cheaper games :). If you don´t play that many games then of course PS 3 is cheaper especially since there isn´t really that many great games to it yet.

gah so much text... Lets make it simple just follow the chart... I didn´t make this myself I wish I did lol

consolechartyr2.jpg

Ha, that chart should read "Do you like FPS, RTS, and the once a year occasional RPG? Then buy a PC! Interested in more than 3 genres? Get a console!"

;)

That chart's too funny.
One cool thing about a 1080p TV is that it makes for a killer PC gaming monitor as long as you have a video card that'll run it. Crysis in 1920x1080 on a screen over 40" is amazing.

If you do go for the plasma/ps3 I would reassure you that the Panasonic 50” 750U is *the* choice for price to performance available today, especially at the $2400 price you’re getting. The only better picture available is the Kuro, but you will definitely be paying another ~30% for it.

Regarding image retention and/or burn-in, it is non-existent with this model and if you want to be conservative about it perform the 100 hour fullscreen break in Panasonic loosely recommends. Many have completely forgone the 100 hours and reported zero problems – Panny (and the other plasma mfgs) is now pre-baking the phosphors to get around early use IR. I did a ton of research before I bought and pulled the trigger on this very set and could not be happier & thousands of posts at the AVS forums will underscore your choice.

If you aren't married to LCD or Plasma and want to save some money, there is a DLP on the market that has no rainbow effect or expensive bulbs to replace. I recently picked up a Samsung HL-T5687S from Circuit City for $1800 (also available at Amazon for $1720 w/free shipping). The "LED Light Engine" is rated for 20K hours and it's also the best rated and best buy projection TV in it's size at Consumer Reports.

Keep in mind the Panasonic Plasma will not output 1080p over component (both games and HDM). Although, since you will getting a PS3 or perhaps a HDMI enabled 360 in the future. It will not pose a problem

I have a Sony 42" 1024x768 "720p" plasma from close to four years ago. We never intentionally burned it in during the first X hours - and finally it's starting to get some image retention issues. There is no actual burn in, as it does go away with normal use. Sometimes I see the ESPN bar and logo at the bottom of the screen because of my stupid brother, and when starting up my PS2, the white text of the developer screen and PS2 logo on black background will stay a bit until a new image appears.

So it's had quite a good run, I imagine plasma displays of today will be much better. I would never consider using one for a PC though unless I intended to start up the game right after bootup.

IMHO I wouldn't go Plasma. I think they are over priced and don't last long enough. We just recently got a Samsung 50" DLP for $800 and we are loving it (got it over the holiday). Quality is great and we haven't seen one single rainbow effect from it. I'm sure it's there but I haven't seen it. If you are going to buy a HDTV I would go either DLP or LCD. In the long run they will last a lot longer then Plasma. Plus with DLP if the bulb goes out, just get a new one for $400 and problem fixed.

But can the best DLP compete with the best plasma for the picture-quality crown? I was under the impression that plasma's are by far the best for image quality and black levels.

Plasma and PS3 for sure. Since I picked up a Samsung LCD (46" 1080p) and started playing 360 games on it, I can honestly say I've lost just about all interest in PC gaming.

It really comes down to what kind of gamer you are. My cousin has a PS3 and a 42" 1080p plasma and, while it's fun for a little while, PC gaming utterly blows it away in my opinion. Other people don't want the hassles of maintaining a PC properly (as if not clicking on random popups and not installing stupid shit like a Yahoo toolbar is challenging) and of the fast-changing world of PC hardware. I personally see the hardware side as almost a hobby. I enjoy cracking open the case and working inside of it, installing new stuff, cleaning it out, fiddling with wires or fans or lighting, whatever. A console is much more simplistic and easier.

But can the best DLP compete with the best plasma for the picture-quality crown? I was under the impression that plasma's are by far the best for image quality and black levels.

Those new 120Hz LCDs are very impressive, better than plasmas in my opinion.

The black levels on the Samsung HL-Txx87S series TVs are superb. I have not seen any banding in dark scenes.

TV and PS3 for sure, in 5 years you'll still love the tv and ps3 the computer would be out of date

PS3 + big screen Made a similar choice and blu ray is AWESOME, not to mention uncharted is great :D

Now I just need to decide on buying a current Pioneer plasma, or waiting for the next gen stuff to come out this spring...

Now I just need to decide on buying a current Pioneer plasma, or waiting for the next gen stuff to come out this spring...

Check out the CES coverage at Engadget, some good stuff there. Hell I would hold off and either pick up one of the 1.5Hitachis or maybe even the "Tuxedo Line" from Vizio that is touting 120hz refresh, 6.5m response, 1080p and 6500:1 contrast since more than likely it will be less than $1599 for the 42" model!:D

Good as in ridiculously expensive...

Not really considering the Vizio VS42LF (new model released at CES) is showing on their site for $1199 and it comes with the 120hz refresh processing. I have an email into them to see what panel, processing engine they will be using. But 120hz for $1200 is not "ridiculously expensive"

expand on this please.

Well... it may be marketing BS, but the Panasonic plasma's coming out (PZ800/850) claim 30,000:1 contrast ratio. Quite a jump over the current offerings. Due out in Spring 08 apparently. Not sure if we'll see a new Kuro soon though...

If you do go for the plasma/ps3 I would reassure you that the Panasonic 50” 750U is *the* choice for price to performance available today, especially at the $2400 price you’re getting. The only better picture available is the Kuro, but you will definitely be paying another ~30% for it.

actually the smasung fpt5084 stands neck and neck with the panasonic, some claim the panny has a better picture and some claim the samsung has a better picture, so i definitely wouldn't claim it to be *the* only choice when it comes to price and performance.

Plasma + PS3 without a doubt.

A GOOD Plasma. Stay away from the cheap one's.

I want to get back into gaming but I'm having a hard time deciding on which route to go.

Computer Upgrade
+ a good $1000 cheaper than the plasma/ps3 setup
+ need an upgrade badly for gaming (current: athlon XP, 1GB RAM, AGP X800XT)
- Nehalem & mainstream DDR3 & nV/ATi super-cards will be coming shortly

Plasma + PS3
+ get to play some great games on a great 1080p screen
+ WOW factor
- a good $1000 more than the computer upgrade
- upcoming display technology looks good

What do you folks think?

Back