50% off - VPN or Proxy for Life!

Is that what the site is telling you? There isn't a promotional code for the deal, its on the front page of their site :confused:

You need to specify. I checked the main page and there is no such sale. All I see is full price.

I signed up during the promotion. Only played with it once or twice, gotta say, it is a great service.
Thanks to all of the great information provided in this thread.

My primary use for this is to VPN out of public wifi when I'm connected to any wireless network.

are vpn's safe to use to access personal sites like your bank sites, credit card sites, etc. Meaning no extra chance to have this information stolen over using a direct connection?

are vpn's safe to use to access personal sites like your bank sites, credit card sites, etc. Meaning no extra chance to have this information stolen over using a direct connection?

The short answer is it doesn't add any additional risk and adds an additional level of security. The VPN shares a public IP address between 100s of users and all traffic is encrypted. A simple analogy is that if you are speeding on a country road with no one else around you have a higher risk of getting caught speeding. Versus speeding on the free way where everyone else is speeding around you. Its not 100% guaranteed that your information can't be captured, but it greatly reduces the chances.

Should safer but of course you still have issues like Heartbleed which stole random user data from server memory as I understand it. It was a bit like fishing - dip into memory and see what comes up. Don't think any user app could guard against that.

Trying Torguard now and it severely cripples my connection. When using a local ip(NY) speedtest reads it as Arizona Ip.. Average connection with router is 160/20 with Torguard its 13/13

Trying Torguard now and it severely cripples my connection. When using a local ip(NY) speedtest reads it as Arizona Ip.. Average connection with router is 160/20 with Torguard its 13/13

Welcome the world of VPN usage :)

Only way to deal with this is to try different VPN providers. AirVPN has great speeds if you are in NY( I'm in NY). But yea its a trade off.

I too recommend Private Internet Access. Ran with them for a year. Had no reason not to renew. They were very fast. No downtime. Always making improvements. They were a good deal. They have an app that allows you to use the VPN on your phone (though its not needed with the built-in features of phones these days). If I go back to a VPN, it will be with them.

Welcome the world of VPN usage :)

Only way to deal with this is to try different VPN providers. AirVPN has great speeds if you are in NY( I'm in NY). But yea its a trade off.
Starting to learn that real fast

I went with PIA.
Ok I'll check them out

I too recommend Private Internet Access. Ran with them for a year. Had no reason not to renew. They were very fast. No downtime. Always making improvements. They were a good deal. They have an app that allows you to use the VPN on your phone (though its not needed with the built-in features of phones these days). If I go back to a VPN, it will be with them.
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out after my month is over with Torguard

Why would I pay $30 for a VPN provider when I can buy a VPS for $10-15/year and install/configure OpenVPN in 5 minutes?

Why would I pay $30 for a VPN provider when I can buy a VPS for $10-15/year and install/configure OpenVPN in 5 minutes?

Do you trust your VPS vendor? You think if they get a subpoena they'll stand up and say "No , you can't have canna's information"?

A VPS doesn't provide you any guarantee of your information being logged along with your activity. Most VPS providers are not concerned with cloaking your traffic and providing you with actual security. VPS has its uses but trusting your anonymity to a vendor that simply provides you a virtual machine on their server is pretty meager.

VPN providers (good ones at least) don't share your information for any reasons and purposely make an effort to not keep a trace of anything you do a matter of record. This allows you actual anonymity while using your VPN.

If you want to trust a VPS vendor then you are basically defeating the point of a VPN. If you don't care that the possibility exists that someone may be monitoring your traffic on their end then why bother to use a VPN in the first place?

Is a VPN worth it anymore? Didn't someone say the FBI or someone actually is legally allowed to bypass this sort of thing?

I bit for a year.

Just need it for downloading....Linux ISOs. Working fine for that.

I went with AirVPN a week or so ago. Never even noticed this post. Normal speed is 230/30 getting 155-185/20-25. Pretty decent for my needs. Hopefully won't get another notice from TWC for grabbing commercial free shows that we already pay for and download with dish dvr. lol

Torguard is a US Based company, and subject to US Subpoenas and spying from the NSA and others. So although you are more anonymous than if you did nothing, there are likely much better alternatives out there if you are trying to discreetly hide your Internet activity from prying eyes.
Technically, I didn't think the NSA could spy on U.S. citizens (and yes I know....I know). OTOH, if there's no law that says they can't spy on communications in a foreign country...and I assume the fact that you're in the U.S. doesn't matter, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

I never go for such random promo discounts codes considering spams, better google some genuine VPN service providers with good reputation

Been using PIA for the past 2 years, and it's been pretty good. They recently had an update that removed Russian servers due to Putin's demands on information logs or something.

The cool thing is I have this on my phone, moms phone, my tablet, dad's laptop, and my desktop. Think you are allowed 5 logins per account at the same time.

Back