50% off - VPN or Proxy for Life!

Any one comment if they are a good service? I've been thinking about getting a VPN service

Ive had them for over a year. No bandwidth issues or downtime issues.

Torguard is a US Based company, and subject to US Subpoenas and spying from the NSA and others. So although you are more anonymous than if you did nothing, there are likely much better alternatives out there if you are trying to discreetly hide your Internet activity from prying eyes.

What are the upload/download speeds usually with these services? I currently have 150MBps download speed, it will be about 8MBps with through the VPN?

Torguard is a US Based company, and subject to US Subpoenas and spying from the NSA and others. So although you are more anonymous than if you did nothing, there are likely much better alternatives out there if you are trying to discreetly hide your Internet activity from prying eyes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Torguard says they don't keep logs. So... what can the NSA find out from a subpoena other than the fact that you're a customer?

What are the upload/download speeds usually with these services? I currently have 150MBps download speed, it will be about 8MBps with through the VPN?

I signed up earlier today. Currently, I've got 1,000 Mbps up and down, and the best I've seen so far is about 90 Mbps down. More testing is definitely in order.

My home connection is only 20mbit, which meets all of my needs. I get about 19mbit throughput.

I let a friend try the last remaining month on my old annual plan (before i used the op's deal), vpn seemed to max out at 46 on a 50mbit. We both used canadian servers from the US.

Yes.... Good deal if you want to be watched.

Torguard is considered one of the better VPN providers. They are located in south east Asia as well so...

I used them for about a year before switching to the best VPN of all.

Q. Would TorGuard ever share my information with a third party?

Answer: We don’t share any information with anyone regarding our network or its users and won’t even consider communicating with a 3rd party unless they’ve first obtained adequate representation within our legal jurisdiction. Only in the event of an official court ordered ruling would we be forced to hand over blank hard drives. There’s nothing to hand over but an operating system. ( No Logs)
- See more at: http://torguard.net/faq.php#sthash.mNpHJi5v.dpuf

Q. Does TorGuard keep logs of my traffic and downloads?

Answer: This is a big no. We don’t keep logs, period. We don't record or keep logs of our user downloads as thousands of users are tunneling their connection and sharing the same IP - it would be near impossible. The only info TorGuard records is a billing name and address - strictly for PCI compliance and billing purposes. No download or credit card info is stored on our servers - ever.

Q. How are payments linked to individual user accounts?

Answer: Our client billing area and VPN/Proxy/Email user auth servers are two completely separate systems. This is to ensure the privacy and securities of our customer’s accounts are upheld at all times. While the customer’s chosen payment method will be linked to the client billing area login, this information is kept completely separate from their VPN/Proxy network. In this way, it’s virtually impossible to “connect the dots” of a paying customer with that of someone who is using the servers. This can become a pain for clients as they are required to remember two sets of logins/passwords, but trust us – It’s in the best interest of security.

http://freedomhacker.net/interview-with-torguard-vpn/#.U4MB1PldV8E

TorGuard is a privately owned company with parent ownership based in Nevis and our headquarters currently located in the US.

Our legal representation at the moment is comfortable with the current corporate structuring however we wouldn’t hesitate to move all assets internationally should the ground shift beneath our feet. We are in the business of privacy and would rather “burn it to the ground” than compromise these values.

4) How do you generally handle requests from law enforcement and copyright agencies?
We do not communicate with any third party without first receiving a court order to do so, period. This scenario has never occurred, but if it were to, we would be forced to explain in more technical terms how we don’t maintain any usage logs.

That last one means they will ignore DMCA requests. In other words Torguard is actually one of the safest VPN's to use despite having its HQ in the US. Its parent owner is not in the US so that's a good thing.

Everyone , I HIGHLY recommend this deal. You should all have a VPN at least on stand by for something you feel doesn't need to be filtered through someone else's hackcraft.

I wonder how these guys stack up against privateinternetaccess.com... guess I'll look into it

The anonymous pay with gift card option from them is a nice added bonus.

The problem with a major known VPN is that they can end up blocked. HULU for example blocked access for TorGuard VPN users.

Last edited:
I wonder how these guys stack up against privateinternetaccess.com... guess I'll look into it

PIA had a sale last weekend ($32/year) so I ended up going with them mostly because they have better reviews compared to others VPNs

The best choice.
I've renewed with PIA for the 3rd year now. Privacy first, awesome price(yearly sub), works with everything(router, android, PC, etc). There is no better service

I highly recommend the below article for anyone in the market for a VPN service.
My vote is PIA, but they go into extreme detail with all in the list, pick the one you like the most.

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/

They always do well in reviews but even reviewers who rate them highly also curioulsy advise caution:

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/7621/5-secure-vpns/

I'm leaning towards AirVPN. I like what I read from TorGuard execs (and they say VPN location can be sketchy criteria since servers are all over) but I also see they have a lot their servers are in Ukraine. Not sure how that plays out when the crud hits the fan over there

During TorGuard sign-up they have option for free SSH with choice of USA, Netherlands or UK. I'm not SSH savy but I assume its wise to add being free. What are the three country options about?

I decided at the discount price I would try the TorGuard and something else to learn the apps. I tired TG with Steam and after downloading Dishonored game for 2% I was consitently getting 1.2 MBs. That's impressive since I am on FiOS (20/5) and while hitting 3.0 MBs sometimes I usally do bewteen 1.0 and 2.0 on Steam anyway.

The kicker is that I can surf the web faster on this VPN than on regualr setting (I use OpenDNS which wasn't much different from Verizon). I click links and things fly right up. In past year I've gotten used to delays as ads have to load. I've been blaming the social network crap since things work fine after new installs. Once I log into Facebook things go to mud

Last edited:
During TorGuard sign-up they have option for free SSH with choice of USA, Netherlands or UK. I'm not SSH savy but I assume its wise to add being free. What are the three country options about?

I'm also wondering about this. Couldn't find anything after a quick google search.

Edit: I asked their chat support and they said to just leave the SSH Tunnel option as "none". Still not exactly sure what it means.

Last edited:
I got the VPN. Seems fine so far. I get my full 120Mbps downstream and latency is fine.

I'm dumb and waited too long to purchase. Back up to full price now.

Is the Proxy better to get, or the VPN?

From what I understood after shopping - a proxy basically just renders a spoofed IP address. You can be in Ohio but get an IP that makes it look like you're in California or France etc etc. But aside from the IP cloak, it would still be possible to inspect the data being transmitted (packet inspection etc etc) . A VPN provides a cloaked IP just like a proxy but it also encrypts the data being transmitted.

How VPNs Work
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn7.htm

Should this be turned off while gaming?

Yes, no, and maybe. I've had it go all ways. In my experience vpn (I use PIA) is usually 20-50ms slower than a direct connection, whether that is acceptable depends on the game and the player.

I've also had recurring bad routing issues through Chicago, and vpn'ing away from that bad node actually speeds things up.

You can also set up some specific applications (you might not want to expose your ip while using) to route their traffic thru a proxy server so the rest of your traffic is not affected.

Back