50 Minute Unreal Tournament Sequel Preview

More like 50 minutes of three white guys sitting on a couch and a community manager who looks like she has never played an FPS game. Seriously, I thought they only hired young twenty-somethings with nice boobs for "community manager" positions (sit on your ass and post on Twitter).

More like 50 minutes of three white guys sitting on a couch and a community manager who looks like she has never played an FPS game. Seriously, I thought they only hired young twenty-somethings with nice boobs for "community manager" positions (sit on your ass and post on Twitter).

:rolleyes:

Who pissed in your coffee?

She's Flak and does a great job at Epic. So f off.

Its 50 minutes of nothing

I just saved you 50 minutes, I mean sure, if you want to watch four people sit around and talk about good game design feel free, but 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of developers do the same thing, but talking about good game design and making good games is two entirely different things

art director guy : this is just a proof of concept, we want it to be "dark and gritty"

and thats when i closed the video.

Only game that's done bright and vibrant color (and well) is mirror's edge , everyone else is all :"colors ? ewww" You can have diversity in a game instead of a palette of color jeeez!

art director guy : this is just a proof of concept, we want it to be "dark and gritty"

and thats when i closed the video.

Only game that's done bright and vibrant color (and well) is mirror's edge , everyone else is all :"colors ? ewww" You can have diversity in a game instead of a palette of color jeeez!

You didn't listen very well then. They said they don't want to make it dark and gritty like they did with Gears of War. Listen to the from about 4:30 to 5:30.

Thank god for the preview bar, 50 minutes of blah blah blah, no game play footage.

Its 50 minutes of nothing

I just saved you 50 minutes, I mean sure, if you want to watch four people sit around and talk about good game design feel free, but 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of developers do the same thing, but talking about good game design and making good games is two entirely different things

They never do say anything. Epic is probably the worst developer at maintaining close relations with fans and the community, despite having a decent community manager (Flak). The developers really aren't that gung-ho about it despite their claims. This was seen time and time again throughout Gears of War and what a train wreck that turned into.

I'm always iffy on these "community" built games anyways. It can make a game great or destroy something that was good because in reality people usually don't know what they want. Anyone who's played Gears with Epic's track record will tell you how exhausting it was going from things changing every other week because they "listened" to the community i.e. majority rules.

You didn't listen very well then. They said they don't want to make it dark and gritty like they did with Gears of War. Listen to the from about 4:30 to 5:30.

i can't edit my post xD your right i missed the we did this on gears of wars , dark and gritty. lol serves me right to skipping ahead.

if the game looks like the small part they showed than i guess that's great

ut3 was an abomination, i dont have any hopes for a new ut made by anyone connected to epic . give it to someone else to develop

I wish i could have kept that auto taunt UT3 video. it was so terrible it became hilarious.

Oh thats right. Unreal championship. Fuck UT and epic!

YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!

I never bought one Unreal Game mainly cause it was sold out in the store =) I didn't know what type of game it was till my brother showed me like 10 years ago and it was kinda like Quake so I thought it was pretty cool from then on.

Man, that was boring to watch even for a minute. And I spent that minute watching the graphics demo. He (don't know who that was) want's UT to be more like a Tim Burton / Nolan movie. LOL FUCK OFF GUY

this was extremely boring. watched 5 minutes (felt like 20) then just scrubbed through the video to see if there was any game play, nope, just the map and them talking.

Well, this video seems more for the indie developer/level-designer wannabe, so in that sense it's ok. But yea, for pure gamers it's not worth watching.

The original UT was great. I played it many hours. Just make the same game with the same characters, maps, weapons and we'll be good.

Quote:---
Originally Posted by Saito
ut3 was an abomination, i dont have any hopes for a new ut made by anyone connected to epic . give it to someone else to develop --- End Quote

Wouldn't that make it UT4?

I like the style/direction of that concept map, too much dark and gritty is boring. I'd like to see that really vibrant concept art of 'Deck' that was released around the time of ut3 come to fruition. Ut3 'Deck' is just plain painful to look at!

I think they're already making the same mistakes with this attempt that they did with ut3, by making it 'accessible' for people of all skill types. They need to make this thing competitive from the start or at least semi-competitive, or it's going to lose a lot of steam before it even takes off. Unreal is not a game for newbs, so why try to cater to them? The people who play this will be playing competitively from the get go.

I believe they said already that it will not be featuring dodge-jumping, which makes me not really even care much about it to be honest. People want to dodge-jump, it's a fact. Those who don't, have the original and ut3 to play. Stop trying to recreate the original AGAIN, and build off the perfection that was 2k4.

There is a minute or two of them showing a very small portion of a level. Contrary to the "looks like shit" quote above, I thought it looked pretty decent. I wouldn't want every level to look like that, but as a single level, I don't see anything wrong with the aesthetic. It looks like it has plenty of geometry, lots of small details, etc. Kinda has a Star Wars (ish) look to it.

I didn't watch the rest with them just discussing whatever it is they're discussing. I also didn't have the sound on while I watched them shift around that one spot.

I'm still optimistic about this. They've made incredibly good games, they've made average games, and they've made a couple that I don't like at all. (hated the GoW series...)

As to the give it to someone else to develop comment, they kind of are. We'll see how that turns out I guess, but being partly community built, is in essence giving it to someone else. Also, the only way they could do better IMO is to get all the Digital Extremes people on it.

They just shows a bunch of real "game" stuff. If you joined the EPIC forums and looked, you will also see working footage and new addons at least weekly. For those not wanting to do that, here's a descent summary week by week:

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

Also, the only way they could do better IMO is to get all the Digital Extremes people on it.

Yup, Digital Extremes made the only good UT game - UT2003. Epic only slightly adjusted that concept with 2004.

Ut3 did terrible and the formula wasn't changed too much. I think if this is another old school shooter (which many people in this thread are asking for), it will bomb just like the last one.

Back