50 Greatest Female Video Game Characters

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you had to make a list of the 50 greatest female characters in video game history, who would make your list? Lara Croft? Alex Vance? Cate Archer? Jill Valentine? TwitchGuru picks the best of the best and put them together in a slide show for your viewing pleasure….well, if that’s your thing. ;)

A quick note about this list: it's for the greatest female characters, which means it's not a list of the "hottest video game chicks" or "top video game vixens." Sure, looks count. But these female characters have to make an impact beyond their appearance.

I dont know about Aeries, from FF7, being one of the greatest female video game characters. She sucked and got owned early on in the game.

This "list" is stupid. Why list characters who have only been in a single game or characters from games with a terrible (or none at all) story. How about we just list every girl character from every game that has come out in the past 5 years? The girl from Tribes:Vengence is a perfect example. Characters like that do not deserve to be on the same list as those such as Samus, who has been around for damn near 20 years and almost 10 games. That is a developed character, not some no-name from an FPS game that was horrible anyway.

I'd say the first 5 were about all they needed to put on the list... the rest? Meh, who cares.

This "list" is stupid. Why list characters who have only been in a single game or characters from games with a terrible (or none at all) story. How about we just list every girl character from every game that has come out in the past 5 years? The girl from Tribes:Vengence is a perfect example. Characters like that do not deserve to be on the same list as those such as Samus, who has been around for damn near 20 years and almost 10 games. That is a developed character, not some no-name from an FPS game that was horrible anyway.

Someone's taking this a bit too seriously.

You could make your own list ;)

Removing just three or four (Cortana, kerrigan, one or two others) makes the list "Top 50 eye candy characters".

Seriously...the bikini-clad DOA characters? What makes them great? The amazing story told as they play volleyball and jiggle? The intense emotional attachment formed by the player as the character endures and overcomes one trial after another? The same can be said of all the fighting game girls, among others. They're two-dimensional characters that do nothing.

Alyx from Half-Life 2 is a great female character. She has a good story, leaves an impression on the player, and isn't over-the-top hot or under-dressed.

Can't edit my post, so I'll add another thought here: There are a lot of really good heroines that were left off that list.

"And the award for best video game cleavage goes to..."

Completely worthless article. Man has picked 50 random female characters that he personally likes.

Where's silent hill? Incredible female characters. Resident Evil gets 3 characters, but no Valerie Cortez? Cortano from halo?

Technically, mona sax isn't a character, :)

This seems more like a "who I'd most like to bone if I was a video game character dude" list

Not so much for the merits of the character, as the merits of their bangability, even considering the virtual virtual characters such as cortana.

Someone's taking this a bit too seriously.

You could make your own list ;)

I'm just thinking about how much time the developers, story writers, and art people spent on the characters who defined a generation of gaming. I'm sure many other people like me who have been playing these games since I was a kid feel the same way. Sheesh, how many days of my life have I spent rescuing Princess Toadstool? :D

Jiggliciousness took until page 15...what is wrong with those people.

They totally should have put Samantha from Need for Speed: Underground. Seeing as how she's the one that 'bring you in' to the game, shows you how it works, narrates it, and you have to both race her and save her ass. Only girl in the NFS series (from that point on) worth even paying attention to.

Though I did like that SHODAN made the cut.

Who makes a top 50 list out of a pool of possibilities that is not that much higher? Granted theres more than 50 femaile charachters, but 'great' ones? hrmph.

Do we need, or have time, to click through 50? I clicked the link hoping to see samus and tifa near the top of the list, maybe even bastilla somewhere on the list. I stopped a few pages in cbeause it was more like "the authors 50 female charachters I could remember".Trim it to ten really good and wothwhile ones - and get rid of all the very useless items on the list as the commentors above have poitned out.

Arg, and now I cant edit my post for punctuation becasue I hate preview buttons; now I'm double pissed. :mad:

Actually I think this is a great list. It reminds me that I should game this summer when college is finally over for this year, and give me ideas for games to try.

those chicks you threw money to and told to "shake it baby" in duke3d :)

Back