50 foot HDMI cable won't work anymore from pc to projector

ng4ever

2[H]4U
This is weird my 50 foot HDMI cable I bought from monoprice won't work on my pc to my projector anymore.

It use to fine.

Doesn't make sense.

It worked fine with a roku when I tested it.

The other spare HDMI cable worked fine as well from my computer to my projector too.

It's possible a wire got damaged or bent and it no longer works, or is flaky. Long length hdmi cables are susceptible to problems like this. Try it with a monitor rather than the projector and see what happens.

It's possible a wire got damaged or bent and it no longer works, or is flaky. Long length hdmi cables are susceptible to problems like this. Try it with a monitor rather than the projector and see what happens.

I kinda did with a roku.

Try lower res or halve the refesh rate.
If that doesnt work the cable has a fault.

If that does work and higher res/refresh doesnt then the cable or what it connects to has deteriorated in some way.
Perhaps dirty connections.

All of my HDMI cables I purchased from Monoprice eventually failed. The connectors on all of them had corrosion marks on certain pins. I could have cleared them out but I decided to try another maker instead.

All of my HDMI cables I purchased from Monoprice eventually failed. The connectors on all of them had corrosion marks on certain pins. I could have cleared them out but I decided to try another maker instead.
There could be lot of moisture in the air where you live.
It can cause serious health issues.
Perhaps I'm wrong but its worth checking out.

There could be lot of moisture in the air where you live.
It can cause serious health issues.
Perhaps I'm wrong but its worth checking out.

Actually this was in Phoenix, very arid there. How ever, I did spend a few years in Hawaii, but the air moisture content there isn't high enough to be a health issue. My last monoprice cable did bite the dust there and was replaced with an Amazon Basics, essentially the exact same thing. I don't use that cable so I can't comment on its quality.

i'm in the humid south, and i've never had a inwall or ceiling cable fail unless it was being plugged/unplugged often. No idea how they corroded.

If you had an active cable with a powered transmitter in your cable it may have failed. To get 50’ 4k you pretty much need an active cable. It siphons off power from one of the pins to boost the signal strength to all the pins. That sometimes burns out, and the source likely won’t have the signal strength to power a purely passive cable at that length.

35’ is about max length for reliable passive 1080P HDMI, and less distance for 4K HDR signal.

Last edited:
i'm in the humid south, and i've never had a inwall or ceiling cable fail unless it was being plugged/unplugged often. No idea how they corroded.
Me either, my suspicion is improperly coated connectors.

This is weird my 50 foot HDMI cable I bought from monoprice won't work on my pc to my projector anymore.

It use to fine.

Doesn't make sense.

It worked fine with a roku when I tested it.

The other spare HDMI cable worked fine as well from my computer to my projector too.

Specifically what model cable are you using? Can you provide a link to it?

The weird part is I had a 50 foot cable that use to work for a few days then stopped working.

It makes no sense.

Not sure if this is the same one you're using but I got this one on sale for about half price a couple of years ago. It's an optical HDMI, hadn't heard of it until I had a need to upgrade for our new projector. It's worked as advertised. It's 4:4:4 4K/60hz + HDR. I've got the 50" one running from a Onkyo T646 to an Optima UHD60 projector. 4k/HDR DIsc media is usually flawless. With the Roku, plugged into the receiver, handshakes can be a PIA but do work. I have a non-HDR-4k T.V. with some odd HDCCP port options also plugged into the receiver that causes grief for the Roku's handshakes.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568. This has been the only cable in that length that properly provide all the needed specs to be delivered to the projector.

I have a feeling that as Archaea mentioned, something in yours probably burned out or a broken connection. I've got mine under furniture and extra carpeting.

Is there a difference between hdmi 2.0a and hdmi 2.0b ?

Is that cable on your monoprice link 2.0a or 2.0b ?

HDMI 2.0b adds support for HLG HDR, no bandwidth change.

HLG will eventually be used by the BBC for broadcast HDR and perhaps by other broadcasters.
Its used by streaming companies. BBC iPlayer supports it.

Some cameras can use HLG HDR for recording video, the Panasonic GH5 for example.
Even though its not a camcorder it has no time limit on record length, its 4K video is excellent.

edit
corrected beer daftness :)

Last edited:
Yes but can HDMI 2.0b work with HDMI 2.0a ports or no ?
Hdmi 2.0b doesnt plug into a port, its a standard.
It is only about HLG HDR.
If you wish to use HLG HDR the device you are using must support it.
If it ioperates via HDMI it will have HDMI 2.0b support.

All other uses of HDMI are unaffected.

Hdmi 2.0b doesnt plug into a port, its a standard.
It is only about HLG HDR.
If you wish to use HLG HDR the device you are using must support it.
If it is supported via HDMI it will have HDMI 2.0b support.

All other uses of HDMI are unaffected.

Thanks.

Is that cable on your monoprice link 2.0a or 2.0b ?
Looks like Nenu answered your question. I went to check the specs and it doesn't say. If it's a major concern I'd recommend calling Monoprice or a online chat. When I had questions about some 4k splitters the online rep was very helpful. One thing I forgot to mention. If you do get one of those cables take note that they are directional when installing.

Looks like Nenu answered your question. I went to check the specs and it doesn't say. If it's a major concern I'd recommend calling Monoprice or a online chat. When I had questions about some 4k splitters the online rep was very helpful. One thing I forgot to mention. If you do get one of those cables take note that they are directional when installing.

Ok.

the Sony GH5 for example.
Even though its an SLR it has no time limit on record length, its 4K video is excellent.

The GH5 is a Panasonic camera, and it's mirrorless, not an SLR or DSLR.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Unfortunately since I don't use HLG HDR I can't say by testing. I'm not even sure if the projector supports it. I can tell you that with 4k disc playback it's maxing the video bitstream, 4k HDR 4:4:4 24p and the cable has no problems with it. In the q&a section at Monoprice someone did ask about Dolby Vision and it apparently supports that too. I mention 24p because I'm not aware any 4k discs using 60 frames yet and when I tried my pc with it it limited me to 4:2:2/60hz. I ended up using this for my rig that I found at Amazon. It's been awesome for PC gaming using HDR/4k/4:4:4/60hz. I'm mentioning this because if you get into researching pc 4k gaming with a HT setup you can run into a whole other set of problems. It was until I got the one from amazon I was able to push the video stream to its max and also use 24/192 audio streams. It took some time and $$$ but eventually I was able to find all the right cables I needed for the various rooms/setups.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The GH5 is a Panasonic camera, and it's mirrorless, not an SLR or DSLR.
Yeah I goofed, couldnt even remember the name of it at first, beer and all that.
It does use HLG HDR though which is all I was trying to say :)
My Dad has one.

Try a short cable from a laptop or something you can get close to the pj.
If that doesnt work, something more serious is afoot.

ps why is a green dot weird?

Try a short cable from a laptop or something you can get close to the pj.
If that doesnt work, something more serious is afoot.

ps why is a green dot weird?

Well because the green dot means it is working. When obviously it is not with no signal.

Unfortunately since I don't use HLG HDR I can't say by testing. I'm not even sure if the projector supports it. I can tell you that with 4k disc playback it's maxing the video bitstream, 4k HDR 4:4:4 24p and the cable has no problems with it. In the q&a section at Monoprice someone did ask about Dolby Vision and it apparently supports that too. I mention 24p because I'm not aware any 4k discs using 60 frames yet and when I tried my pc with it it limited me to 4:2:2/60hz. I ended up using this for my rig that I found at Amazon. It's been awesome for PC gaming using HDR/4k/4:4:4/60hz. I'm mentioning this because if you get into researching pc 4k gaming with a HT setup you can run into a whole other set of problems. It was until I got the one from amazon I was able to push the video stream to its max and also use 24/192 audio streams. It took some time and $$$ but eventually I was able to find all the right cables I needed for the various rooms/setups.

The halftime walk movie is high framerate yes?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The halftime walk movie is high framerate yes?
I know it was in the theaters but I'm doubtful it was encoded that way on disc. It might be but as of yet I haven't heard of any making it to 4k media. Honestly, I'm not sure the current 100GB media can hold the extra data without some kind of compromise in either audio or video streams. It anyone does find credible info about anything getting published on disc please post/let me know. I'm always curious about it. I know there's patents out there for triple/quadruple, or more, disc layers that would allow for the extra storage but so far I haven't heard of any in mainstream production. The streaming services are usually pulling off their tricks by using combinations of 4:2:2, lower video bit rates, and stripped down audio streams(even Vudu's Atmos is going from 7.1>5.1). So if any of them offer a 4k/60fps movie then there's probably significant compromises used to to do it.

edit: Should've been more specific and said I'm not sure the current 100GB could hold a 2+ hour, Dolby Atmos, HDR10/Dolby Vision, 60 fps, movie. I am sure they could probably fit a demo of around 30 minutes though.

The streaming services are usually pulling off their tricks by using combinations of 4:2:2, lower video bit rates, and stripped down audio streams(even Vudu's Atmos is going from 7.1>5.1).
You got it right except 4:2:2 would be an improvement :)
Video uses 4:2:0 on Blu Ray etc, the bit rate is high to capture more detail and prevent more colour compression that streaming companies use in abundance.
Perhaps thats what you intended.
Streaming sucks.

I know it was in the theaters but I'm doubtful it was encoded that way on disc. It might be but as of yet I haven't heard of any making it to 4k media. Honestly, I'm not sure the current 100GB media can hold the extra data without some kind of compromise in either audio or video streams. It anyone does find credible info about anything getting published on disc please post/let me know. I'm always curious about it. I know there's patents out there for triple/quadruple, or more, disc layers that would allow for the extra storage but so far I haven't heard of any in mainstream production. The streaming services are usually pulling off their tricks by using combinations of 4:2:2, lower video bit rates, and stripped down audio streams(even Vudu's Atmos is going from 7.1>5.1). So if any of them offer a 4k/60fps movie then there's probably significant compromises used to to do it.

edit: Should've been more specific and said I'm not sure the current 100GB could hold a 2+ hour, Dolby Atmos, HDR10/Dolby Vision, 60 fps, movie. I am sure they could probably fit a demo of around 30 minutes though.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/41187/billylynnslonghalftimewalkultrahdbluray.html

2160p/60fps HEVC/H.265

You got it right except 4:2:2 would be an improvement :)
Video uses 4:2:0 on Blu Ray etc, the bit rate is high to capture more detail and prevent more colour compression that streaming companies use in abundance.
Perhaps thats what you intended.
Streaming sucks.

Got to admit it though, you schooled me. I knew 4:4:4 was best but I didn't know that 4k, blu-ray, etc. was spec'd at 4:2:0. http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Sure is a nice illusion of them squeezing water from the stone when they output to 36bit 4:4:4. Streaming just doesn't compare on the color front. I have noticed though, that some FHD blu-rays don't always output at 4:4:4 36bit. For those I just figured either a crappy transfer from film or poor mastering/encoding/authoring.

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know it has happened. I did a little more searching was unable to find more specs about disc size, layers, bit rates but either way that's awesome. Movie is a too depressing for me. I've already grown up around vets from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and some of the first wars in the Middle East and outside of the people I know in real life I just don't want to watch any more movies about it so it's unlikely I'll get this to check out. After reading how it originally debuted in 3d, HFR(120 fps no less) I do commend the director for really trying to pull people into the realism of battle and understanding how to use a new medium. It does seem like a great disc for QA benching cables and equipment though.

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know it has happened. I did a little more searching was unable to find more specs about disc size, layers, bit rates but either way that's awesome. Movie is a too depressing for me. I've already grown up around vets from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and some of the first wars in the Middle East and outside of the people I know in real life I just don't want to watch any more movies about it so it's unlikely I'll get this to check out. After reading how it originally debuted in 3d, HFR(120 fps no less) I do commend the director for really trying to pull people into the realism of battle and understanding how to use a new medium. It does seem like a great disc for QA benching cables and equipment though.

Yea I wish they'd release the HFR hobbit, I never go to see it in theaters. Looks like they couldn't make enough money with them so it's all a pipe dream now.

Yea I wish they'd release the HFR hobbit, I never go to see it in theaters. Looks like they couldn't make enough money with them so it's all a pipe dream now.
Me, wife, and her mom, went to see it at a Imax 3d HFR. It was pretty good but they were so packed that we all had to sit in different seats. So they could be comfortable I took the one in the very front row. I swear they shouldn't even have seats that close in an Imax. It sucked in that respect.

Just got a replacement cable for https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568 but still no signal :(

This is so weird.

I wish it was possible to fix. The weird part is my BenQ HT3550 projector has a green dot next to HDMI 1.

I've seen this a couple times. The metal surround on the port female side can sometimes enlarge or pushed wider so that the connector loses just enough connection to break the handshake. What I did was use a flat head and pushed the metal in a lil bit so the male end makes a more snug connection. I had this happen on two DP panels and an hdmi. It took a long time to figure out too! And just plain intuition or a guess, that I tried to make the connection tighter. And it worked.

Back