$50 board (prob used) for easy e5200 overclock?

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
i want to play fallen empire legions because i'm a old timer tribes guy.....

the only question mark i have is the mobo....

don't want to spend a whole lot since i'm really only building this pc to play one game...

thanks

mal

An older 965 board should be fine, something like a DS3/P5B. Check FS/T I've seen them go for around $50 shipped.

i was thinking evga 650i ultra but the one guy said to stick with intel chipsets but i don't know why ....

In general current Nvidia chipsets are inferior to intel chipsets in terms of overclockability/stability. Basically the only reason to get an Nvidia chipset would be if you needed SLI support. The 650i is an OK chipset, just a P965/P35 board is much better at overclocking and is more stable. I'm not going to go into all the reasons. There's many threads that go over why Intel chipsets are better than Nvidia chipsets already.

Nothing wrong with NV chipsets.

Only chipsets to really avoid are: SIS and VIA unless performance isn't an issue (I usually find these chipsets to be slower for gaming rigs).

I'm selling an EVGA 650i Ultra fresh from RMA, the only things missing are the RAID floppy and the back I/O plate. Many users like to ignore nvidia chipsets altogether for non-SLi builds, but I used the 650i for quite some time and it ran great. Both [H] and Anandtech have favorably reviewed the board.. $50 shipped.

Here's my FS thread w/links to both reviews.

that is a smokin deal on that board but it's so fugly to me....

yea.... i'm shallow like that....

Yes it's very easy. Very stable and solid little board, very close to the bigger boys imho.

were there any good looking p965 motherboards

and by good looking i mean mostly black and no funky colors .. ?

if you are looking this board should be perfect for your needs,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138121R
Also here is some info about it,
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000186
TG31A7080108-1.jpg

just a heads up but the e5200 is an absolute dog of an overclocker and it is also one of the few chips that is FSB crippled, most reports are stating this chip is only capable of 310-350 max FSB at any multi. Even the 65nm chips are hitting 400+ and also the same OC's as most e5200's (most of these are topping out around 3.5ghz at a safe voltage, and 3.75-4ghz at over 1.4v some even 1.5v). I would try and safe a few extra dollars and go straight for an e7200, or even buy a cheaper chip like the e2180 and aim for 400+ fsb and around 3.3ghz

thanks for the heads up... i'll look into it a little more as it nears time to purchase a chip

Back