$50 5870 cooling? 120Hz is killing my ears!

fattypants

2[H]4U
I upgraded to a 120Hz monitor, but now that my video card is spitting out 120+fps in my games, its getting really hot and I don't like the fan noise.

I'm looking for a quiet aftermarket cooler for $50 or less that is quiet, or maybe a way to mod my existing equipment for silence (maybe putting a 120mm fan w/size adapter on the intake of the video card instead of the existing one? Is that crazy?).

The Scythe Musashi looks good. Is there anything wrong with that?

Its long, and u cant get rid of the pci fan controller adapter that comes with it, I'd go with the Zalman vf3000A

The Scythe cooler isn't all that great from what I've read. For that kind of money, check out the Arctic Cooling packages. They work better with AMD stuff anyway. Mwave.com had them all in stock at some good prices, but that was weeks ago.

I have the gelid icy vision 2. Should work perfectly.
Paid $25 for it.

I think I'll go with the Accelero 5870. Mwave still has them for fifty bucks.

Might be worth spending the extra 10-15 and getting the AXPII. It's basically the same, but has compatibility with more cards, and should be compatible with future cards by default or with a $10 kit.

It's possible the 5870 version is as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

It better be good for $70!

It's a few degrees off of your typical water cooling setup and pretty damn quiet. It's the best Air GPU cooler out there I believe, along with the standard AXPII.

Do those normally run very hot? $70 seems a lot to spend on cooling.

Also, that didnt quite make sense in the description. Your video card fps wouldnt change(unless you were capping them with v-sync or a command or something?) just cause you got a 120hz monitor. If you were getting 100 fps in a game, the hz of monitor isnt affecting the video card. Youd still have 100 fps, just only able to see whatever hz your monitor is at.

Also, that didnt quite make sense in the description. Your video card fps wouldnt change(unless you were capping them with v-sync or a command or something?
Yeah, I was using vsync before. Now it's a blast furnace with vsync off! Or even on, in some games.

I think Kerbal Space Program is worse than Furmark for burning :eek:

Do those normally run very hot? $70 seems a lot to spend on cooling.

Also, that didnt quite make sense in the description. Your video card fps wouldnt change(unless you were capping them with v-sync or a command or something?) just cause you got a 120hz monitor. If you were getting 100 fps in a game, the hz of monitor isnt affecting the video card. Youd still have 100 fps, just only able to see whatever hz your monitor is at.

It's an amazing cooler and has compatibility with other cards. It's Arctic Coolings top GPU cooler, so they designed them to work with new generations of cards either by default, or with $10 kits(heat sinks, mounting plate).

It's definitely a good investment if you like overclocking GPUs and buy stuff in the 6850/460 and up class of cards.

You might be able to find a Thermalright Spitfire at a decent price on ebay. If you have the room this would do an amazing job.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thermalright T-Rad2 with their VRM-R4/5 = ultimate 5870 cooling. Throw on some 92MM Scythe GentleTyphoons and you have one of the best combinations out there.

Then again the VRM coolers only work on the reference PCBs but the T-Rad2 still works brilliantly. I'm just weary of weak VRM cooling that comes with most GPU coolers.

Thermalright T-Rad2 with their VRM-R4/5 = ultimate 5870 cooling. Throw on some 92MM Scythe GentleTyphoons and you have one of the best combinations out there.

Then again the VRM coolers only work on the reference PCBs but the T-Rad2 still works brilliantly. I'm just weary of weak VRM cooling that comes with most GPU coolers.

Thats one reason why I really like the Spitfire, Shaman, and HR-03. They give you plenty of room on the pcb for decent coolers on the memory and vrms like the copper enzotech mos-c1.

Back