5-Way Mech Keyboard Roundup & 2.5 Tech Guys at Hot Hardware

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Chris over at Hot Hardware took the time to do a roundup review that covers five difference mechanical keyboards from Corsair, Azio, HyperX, Aukey, and Cherry. Interestingly enough, the one from Cherry, was the only one that sucked.

Overall, the cons were limited, as all the keyboards performed well and some exceeded our expectations. They all offered some solid features that ranged from customizable backlighting to silent key switches, and we have to say, overall we were impressed their quality, considering how varied the boards were. So, if you were looking for a clear-cut winner, there really isn't one here. What we have are five different mechanical keyboards that all do different things, servicing different user requirements, at different price points.

While you are over there, catch the latest episode of 2.5 Geeks which mentions "Geek Love" in the synopsis. I am afraid to watch.

Check out the video.

2.5 Geeks 2/14/18: Geek Love, Raven Ridge, GTX 2080, Snapdragon 845, Clever Dog Bots, New SSDs!

I hate those corsairs. Get a little bit of sweat on them and they freak out. The back panel for the switches line up directly with where the two halves of the clam shell meet making water infiltration a big problem.

I had a mechanical keyboard (still do--in the closet), and it really was like typing on an IBM Selectric a nice experience and the first electric typewriter I ever used, however it was sensitive to dust always needing cleaning, but what really killed it for me was the weight, I have to have the keyboard in my lap and it was just too ungainly moving on off as I needed it. Really too I can type just as fast on a cheap $20 keyboard. Unless one of these comes in under a pound it's just not worth it.

I hate those corsairs. Get a little bit of sweat on them and they freak out. The back panel for the switches line up directly with where the two halves of the clam shell meet making water infiltration a big problem.

While I love my K60, I have to agree about the sensitivity. Mine crapped out a bit ago and I'm still trying to recover it. I have a Varmilo that is far more sturdy, but it's wireless and can be fickle on connectivity.

Why didn't they throw in an old IBM keyboard for comparison?

I'm still using my old PS/2 IBM mechanical keyboard. Built like a tank and almost as heavy :D

I use a QuickFire with brown switchs so no wasted keypad for me. Had one for a few years now and it's still working fine. The only problem I've had is the 'S' and 'D' emblems are almost completely worn off. Since I'm a touch typist, it really isn't a big deal.

I use a QuickFire with brown switchs so no wasted keypad for me. Had one for a few years now and it's still working fine. The only problem I've had is the 'S' and 'D' emblems are almost completely worn off. Since I'm a touch typist, it really isn't a big deal.
I still have my QuickFire (not like its that old...) I really liked the minimalist design it worked really well.

Since then I've moved onto (funny enough) most of the OP's tested keyboards. I settled on the K70 and Aukey. IMO Cherry keyboards haven't been good recently and I don't have enough experience with them in the past to say if they were EVER good. Outside of their switches being praised I don't think anyone ever praised their keyboard.

meh shootout of keyboards you might find at Fry's ... OR... if you have ever heard of the internet you could get a better keyboard for ~nearish the same money

I'm biased because my own keyboard is a Filco... but Filco just kicks ass.. soo good... except the keycaps which suck but that is frequently the case..

or Leopold, ducky , KUL, WASD..

also cherry keyboards have been pretty shit for ages ...build quality of the cases is pretty meh and the pcb mount switches.. NOPE.. also of course and this is a matter of preference but COSTAR STABILIZERS are Much better than Cherry

IMHO them old IBM Model M's or whatever someone mentioned are not really so hot for gaming and for not having your spouse hit you in the head with it in frustration about the noise.. They are great for typing but not really ideal for gaming.

My Filco MT2 TKL (mx-reds) w/ vortex pbt doubleshot keycaps.
filcoTKL_2.jpg

I've been rocking the original Corsair k70 with only red back lighting and blue switches for the past 3-4 years. I've pulled the keys and cleaned it a few times and its due for another but its great to game on. No reason to change at this point.

If I were to get another keyboard I might ditch the keypad.

What, no buckling spring?

Cherry switches are garbage, Alps switches are garbage.

Buckling spring is the one and only I'll ever buy.

I took out my Orion Spark 910 and replaced the keycaps with regular ones last week and replaced the wrist rest now I have two Spectrums or one is a Spark converted all the parts are interchable between the two. I stopped using my Corsair k70 because of the lack of resistance with the Cherry switches.
Picked up a few Razer Ornata keyboads for 39.00 each on Best Buy which I think I'll just use for gaming since it's better for movement in games.

I personally like my ergo, less options with this form factor though. Pretty much stuck to MS or going full crazy on $$$.

Meh, I've never found a mechanical I liked. I prefer scissor keys.

I've spent way too much time hunched over laptops, I lose accuracy and speed typing on full height keyboards.

Back