5 sticks and all get errors with Memtest Whats the problem?

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I have to OCZ Gold kits. One is 1600 and the other is 1333. If I run the 1600 kit at its rated speed and timings I get errors with in minutes on memtest. If I lower the setting to 1333 or lower with timings at 9-9-9-30 I will still get errors but will take an hour.

The OCZ gold 1333 kit will make it overnight at rated settings with only 1 error. I always seem to end up with at least 1 error overnight no matter how I tweak the settings.

I have ran all of the sticks by themselves and get the same results. At first I thought all of this ram can not be bad I must have something set up wrong. Now I finally figure out that maybe something else is wrong. Could it be a problem with the CPU or the motherboard? I have tried ram in slot 1 and in slot 3 on the motherboard and get the same results. Is there any information that I could get from memtest that will help me figure out what else the problem could be? Thanks for any help. This is getting very frustrating.

Could be a bad slot or up the voltage a little bit. Maybe just bad sticks if they run fine at lower speeds, but still crap out.

I have tried increasing the voltage and I have also tried different slots with no luck.

Still seems odd that I could have 5 bad sticks. I would think that the probability of that happening would be pretty low.

Still seems odd that I could have 5 bad sticks. I would think that the probability of that happening would be pretty low.

I agree, odds almost in the "impossible" range.
---------------------------------------

memtest86+ ??? (there are several "memtests" out there. )

What CPU and motherboard ?

What voltages exactly ?

Links to your exact memory peferably the manuf page.

Are these memory sticks new ? Have they been used in another system and if so where there any issues there ? If so what other system and what memory voltage were they running at.

5 bad sticks in two new kits (assuming a kit of 3 and a kit of 2) is just not likely. There has to be a lot more to this.

I wouldn't say impossible. They all could have come from a single batch and just been a bad batch of chips. Look at the Ballistix. Pretty much all of the 2x1GB sticks are bad.

Check out my thread here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491101

I had the same thing happen. I was told to use an updated memtest edition and disable something in the bios of the motherboard. But when I took the motherboard out again, it failed to POST :rolleyes: so I couldn't test it out completely.

I agree, odds almost in the "impossible" range.
---------------------------------------

memtest86+ ??? (there are several "memtests" out there. )

What CPU and motherboard ?

What voltages exactly ?

Links to your exact memory peferably the manuf page.

Are these memory sticks new ? Have they been used in another system and if so where there any issues there ? If so what other system and what memory voltage were they running at.

5 bad sticks in two new kits (assuming a kit of 3 and a kit of 2) is just not likely. There has to be a lot more to this.

I'm using memtest86+ 4.0

I have tried the motherboard default and have tried as high as 1.66v for the memory. I have also tried bumping the NB up for 1.1v to 1.35v.

6GB kit http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_gold_low_voltage_triple_channel

4GB Newegg link (couldn't find it on ocz website)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227479

I purchased the 6GB kit used locally but was tested by memtest when I got it and passed 8 hours. It was an I7 system but I'm not sure what the other settings were. It ran in a friends I7 system for about 1 month after I got it with no problems. Everything was set to default other than the memory voltage was increased to 1.65v Has been in the box for last month while I was getting ready to put together my system.

4GB kit was purchased from the FS forum here.

When I run Prime95 blend I'll get a rounding error that stops the test. At this point I'm starting to think it might be the motherboard? The only thing that makes me think it is still the memory is that when I test each stick with the same low setting (1066 9-9-9-30) The OCZ3G1600LV6GK always fails faster and gets more errors than any of theOCZ3G1333LV4GK sticks do and they also never fail the same way. It may be test 5 once then a different test the next time. It may fail on the first run or it might not get an error until the 10th, ect...Thanks for any help.

Check out my thread here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491101

I had the same thing happen. I was told to use an updated memtest edition and disable something in the bios of the motherboard. But when I took the motherboard out again, it failed to POST :rolleyes: so I couldn't test it out completely.

Thanks for the link. I did try with legacy USB turned off last night and still ended up with an error by this morning.

It also seem the more I test and try different things, the more errors I seem to get. I can't even boot into windows with two sticks from the OCZ3G1600LV6GK kit now and had no problem doing this a few weeks ago.

I do have a different CPU I can put in and see if it makes any difference. Would this be worth trying? Could the problem be with the IMC on the chip?

I have a feeling that RAM does indeed, not last forever :(

With that being said, you mind as well take the latest DDR3 RAM, over volt it, overclock it, and beat the shit out of it if its gonna do that to you eventually.

I have a feeling that RAM does indeed, not last forever

Depends on the RAM. At work where I have purchased 100s of dimms (FPM, EDO, SD, DDR, DDR2,DDR3) over the last 13 years I believe I have sent back less than 10 total dimms with more than 1/2 of these being DOA. And some of these systems have run over 7 years 24/7/365. I am thinking that may have been just 2 dimms total that died after install. So about 1 dead dimm per 200..

Now for the OP I believe either the ram is incompatible with you processor or your motherboard is bad.

sounds like a bad asus mobo if you ask me, ive seen alot of them have bad ram slots, try diff motherboard? all the slots being bad sounds funny too, tried each slot 1 stick at a time?

Back