5 Star RPGs I might have missed on PS2? Help me choose 1 to play on PS3.

dborden

Limp Gawd
Since Lair is a complete and utter dissappointment I need something else to play other than warhawk.

I have played FF10, FF12, DQXIII, Rogue Galaxy all of which I loved.

Can you guys suggest a PS2 RPG that is as good as these or similar that I can play on my PS3 while I wait for more PS3 games to come out?

I hope your not a graphics snob, if so ignore my post.

My most rewarding rpg experience ever was Chrono Trigger, following by a hair is Xenogears. If you haven't played them, check it out.

I havent played too many lately, last generation. I hear the sequel to Valkyrie Profile was good. The original was absurdly amazing.

these are 5 star Stratagy rpgs Disgea 1&2 and mika kindom or what ever it's called. They are very funny and very fun to play they wont dissapoint.

I second the Dark cloud 2 recomendation its an earlier Level 5 game.

Growlancer V comes out this month I love the Growlancer series so it will proably be great. You can also get Growlancer Generations this has Growlancer 2 and 3 both older 5 star games and I really like them but they are Stratagy rpg type game look into them before you buy becuase you might not like them.

Persona 3 and wild arm 5 have both just come out and I bought them but haven't touched them yet so I can't give them a rating yet.

Grandia 3 was really fun to play had a cliche story line but was fun to play not much Extra stuff to do in the game just go strait through enjoy the good game play and story.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne was cool

You could get the Shadow Hearts series it's not quite 5 star but it's close.

Arc the lad Twilight of the spirits is a really cool game.

Tales of the abyss is great as well

Shin meami tensei: digital devil saga is another great atlus rpgs

star Ocean 3 was cool but I never got to finishing it and it was hard at times.

well you should be happy with any of the list above ps1 and ps2 ruled the RPG world hopefully ps3 continues the great work.

I'm playing Shining force exa right now it's not quite 5 star but it is a fun hacknslash rpg.

My most rewarding rpg experience ever was Chrono Trigger, following by a hair is Xenogears. If you haven't played them, check it out.

I havent played too many lately, last generation. I hear the sequel to Valkyrie Profile was good. The original was absurdly amazing.

This man knows what's up. Your PS2 will play Xenogears, and I believe there was some kind of Final Fantasy anniversary disc with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI for Playstation as well. All three of those are amazing, and a lot better than any RPG I recall for the PS2.

Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy + Disney + solid gameplay, too.

I'll second kingdom hearts. Just started working on this one again on my PS3 since I don't have money for new games for any of my systems (Maybe after I get my security deposit back ^_^).

Kingdom hearts was a good "popcorn" RPG. Beyond that there wasn't much too it. Was it fun...yes. Did it have depth...not really :)

See...I personally think no Japanese RPG's have any depth. If you really want depth, you're not going to find that outside of a PC game (not counting the console Elder Scrolls ports).
I think Kingdom Hearts has as much to do and customize as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest did. Plus...I like the idea of doing something rather than just exchanging hits with enemies. Turn based RPG's always feel like a Rocky movie to me. Nobody should get hit that much :)

See...I personally think no Japanese RPG's have any depth. If you really want depth, you're not going to find that outside of a PC game (not counting the console Elder Scrolls ports).
I think Kingdom Hearts has as much to do and customize as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest did. Plus...I like the idea of doing something rather than just exchanging hits with enemies. Turn based RPG's always feel like a Rocky movie to me. Nobody should get hit that much :)

And personally I think you have either played very little Jrpg's or you just didn't understand them because some of them have a ton of Depth......unless by depth you mean endless and pointless quest then no JRPG don't fulfill the WOW standard of no storyline and endless quest. Except dot hack has a ton of quest that and many of them don't involve any story.

By depth are you talking about story or customization/details?

Japanese RPGs have some of the best stories you can find...which is what I consider "depth" in an RPG. Now the PC variants can offer much more to do in terms of micromanagement and attention to details and that also goes a long ways to make an RPG have "depth."

However, have you ever bought a walk-through for a Final Fantasy type game (or any big Japanese RPG)? The amount of extra shit you can do in the game is massive, however they usually hide these things very well.

By depth are you talking about story or customization/details?

Japanese RPGs have some of the best stories you can find...which is what I consider "depth" in an RPG. Now the PC variants can offer much more to do in terms of micromanagement and attention to details and that also goes a long ways to make an RPG have "depth."

However, have you ever bought a walk-through for a Final Fantasy type game (or any big Japanese RPG)? The amount of extra shit you can do in the game is massive, however they usually hide these things very well.

See, I've completed every FF game to date and yeah, I've even done the off the wall stuff like the gold chocobo and killing the weapons in FF7.
I guess that's where I misunderstood Trepidati0n's "popcorn" comment. I don't see how either Kingdom Hearts game has anything less than FF. The only thing it's missing is some sort of new age commentary about how we're all destroying the planet somehow.
Anyway - I just mean in terms of gameplay depth. Almost all of the japanese RPG's I've played (FF, DQ, Suikoden, etc.) are turn based and most are relatively linear short of some off the wall side quests that make you uber powerful. I'd rather play something interactive. I'm just not a fan of statistical "you hit me and then I hit you" sequences. To me, depth involves something more than that. I like the FF games and they're a guilty pleasure but if the storyline wasn't captivating you have to admit they'd be pretty so-so games.

Yea I agree with that. I play the Final Fantasy franchise for the story, but that's also what brings me into the RPG genre.

However I've had my share of good PC RPGs that just don't have equivalents on the console (Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc). Both variants are good for what they are.

I'm just hoping Fallout 3 isn't another Fallouth 2 :(

See, I've completed every FF game to date and yeah, I've even done the off the wall stuff like the gold chocobo and killing the weapons in FF7.
I guess that's where I misunderstood Trepidati0n's "popcorn" comment. I don't see how either Kingdom Hearts game has anything less than FF. The only thing it's missing is some sort of new age commentary about how we're all destroying the planet somehow.
Anyway - I just mean in terms of gameplay depth. Almost all of the japanese RPG's I've played (FF, DQ, Suikoden, etc.) are turn based and most are relatively linear short of some off the wall side quests that make you uber powerful. I'd rather play something interactive. I'm just not a fan of statistical "you hit me and then I hit you" sequences. To me, depth involves something more than that. I like the FF games and they're a guilty pleasure but if the storyline wasn't captivating you have to admit they'd be pretty so-so games.

I think depth isn't the right word to discribe what you feel the JRPG's are lacking. I think a since of realism is what they games are lacking for you. It seems like you want a more realisc RPG a game that you feel like you are a part of the game not just a spectator in a story. Many people feel the same way you do thats why fable, oblivion, and even wow are so popular.

I'll second kingdom hearts. Just started working on this one again on my PS3 since I don't have money for new games for any of my systems (Maybe after I get my security deposit back ^_^).

Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2

You'll probably enjoy KH2 more, but you should really play both.

I dont know about for your PS2, but if you have missed any of these games you owe it to yourself to play them.

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, X, XII (12, not X-2)
Final Fantasy 3 on DS
Final Fantasy: Revenant Wings (not out yet, but I played the jap version, amazing)

Do you have Oblivion for PS3, b/c I never played any PS2 RPGs so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

I think those 3 are indeed AWESOME.Though these are more ps1 than ps2 like he asked. But if you missed those you should play em. Valkyrie Profile was and is way too good to pass up. Even if you become one that sort of jumped on the bandwagon when it was remade (which I'm not and therefore I'm glad to not have been late in playing it).

And for Valkyrie Profile 2. I personally think that the game........... was great in terms of gameplay and battles but I think the story sucks quite a lot of balls. But thats my personal opinion, and those differ from people to people. Just like lots of people love Suikoden 3 and I can't even start the game (not for the reason that it won't start, I just can't seem to make myself to.)

And Final Fantasy 8, but I'm sure if you played 7 you've probabyl played 8 and you've already decided if you like it or not. I think it was awesome but i hear otherwise.

This man knows what's up. Your PS2 will play Xenogears, and I believe there was some kind of Final Fantasy anniversary disc with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI for Playstation as well. All three of those are amazing, and a lot better than any RPG I recall for the PS2.

QFT...The presentation, music, storyline of Xenogears was just amazing!!!! The battle system was on point for it's time as well. I love that music box song. Brought up many emotions durring the game.

I tried playing Xenosaga, but couldn't get into it.

If you haven't played Xenogears or Chrono Trigger and are an rpg fan, please do yourself a favor.

Digital Devil Saga 1/2 if you can find them...

Shadow Hearts series... not the greatest but good games with the third of the series being the best.

I dont know about for your PS2, but if you have missed any of these games you owe it to yourself to play them.

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, X, XII (12, not X-2)
Final Fantasy 3 on DS
Final Fantasy: Revenant Wings (not out yet, but I played the jap version, amazing)

Agree with all of the above. Except I enjoyed X-2 more than X.. /shrug. And I am VERY glad to see you skip VIII :D

Cant forget the Orginial FF either.

Super Mario RPG (Hard to find)

Xenogears was good also.

Agree with all of the above. Except I enjoyed X-2 more than X.. /shrug. And I am VERY glad to see you skip VIII :D

Cant forget the Orginial FF either.

Super Mario RPG (Hard to find)

Xenogears was good also.

I dont know why or how people like 9. that game sucked hard. i liked 8 a lot, just never gotta chance to beat it. Im still pissed on the direction ninty took mario rpg. paper mario is cool, but mario rpg is a classic rpg. up there with zelda a link to the past

I dont know why or how people like 9. that game sucked hard. i liked 8 a lot, just never gotta chance to beat it. Im still pissed on the direction ninty took mario rpg. paper mario is cool, but mario rpg is a classic rpg. up there with zelda a link to the past

Ewwww. #8 was the dog of the series in my opinion. It had a nice plot, but the whole "draining" concept in order to get spells...which also power you up was just horrid. I also stand by the Gunsword as the stupidest idea ever devised. If they took the plot of #8 and put it on the #9 game engine - then you have a good game :)

yeah FFVIII sucked more than X-2 did.

But he did say he wants a PS2 game to play on his PS3 so everyone should stop suggesting games like Lufa which are on Snes which the PS3 isn't backward compatable with, I mean it would be cool if you could stick a Snes cartgrige in a PS3 but they haven't had a firmeware upgrage that allows that yet.

Back